Rocketeer Playable demo

zerosimms

Hey all

This is my a prototype of a game on working on aimed for the IPhone. I would love to get some initial feedback about what you like and dislike about it.

It is WIP. Don't bother collecting the green bottles, they don't do anything yet...

The idea is to get to the end with as many coins as possible, if you stay in the air you are awarded air miles which also improve your final score. You'll get a rank at the end of the game. My highest is an 'A' but 'S' can also be achieved. Watch out for the blimps!

Please let me know what you think!
Cheers

It may not look like it yet, but the ZONE ONE is the button to start the game :-)

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/12425

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:26:14 am by zerosimms »

Innes

It's looking great!

Just a couple of issues; I'm sure that I saw a message saying something about " ...you loose everything". It should be "lose". Apologies if I am wrong about the message, but I only saw it once.

Also, I managed to stick the player to the top of the screen; he didn't fall when I stopped pressing! Unfortunately, I cannot repeat it, but it definitely happened!

Fantastic graphics and good fun. I found it a bit frustrating that I had to start the level again if I crashed, though!
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

zerosimms

Hey Innes, thanks for taking the time to feedback. Much Appreciated!

In terms of the looks, I feel it's a bit mish mash, I think the background and ground look out of place. So maybe tonight I'll address that and attempt a drawing :-)

In terms of the player sticking to the top, I've seen that as well but never been able to replicate it, it either happens or doesn't, now that I know someone else has experienced it, I'll try and track down the cause.

In terms of re-starting the level again, what about loosing coins or being slowed down instead?

rlc2405

hello Zero!
the graphics are great; (as usual in your games)
the background is a little strange in my opinion because it's not a cartoon type; It's too dense and real. The background do not help in create a adventure feel. just my opinion!

by the way, the smoke is killer!

I like the gameplay too. The physics working on the character is very good.

I think that "check-points" could be good to restart after a killing collide;

sorry my english :)

zerosimms

Hey Rlc, your English is perfect!

The background is totally out of place isn't it? I was using it because I had permission too and I didn't have anything better, but your totally right, it's not cartoony enough. Pen and paper for me tonight! :-)

I'm so glad you picked up on the smoke, I spent two days perfecting it!

Check Points... Now, I didn't even think about that! That could work!

Hectate

Fun little demo, I'll be watching this progress for sure (I'd seen the artwork before actually).

In addition to the mis-use of "loose" instead of "lose" that Innes pointed out, I think I saw the word "exactly" mispelled (but I was clicking through so quickly that I only briefly noticed it).
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

airman4

Okay

why i can't play the game?

i'm stuck into the start screen

zerosimms

Fun little demo, I'll be watching this progress for sure (I'd seen the artwork before actually).

In addition to the mis-use of "loose" instead of "lose" that Innes pointed out, I think I saw the word "exactly" mispelled (but I was clicking through so quickly that I only briefly noticed it).

Thanks man, I'm slightly dyslectic when it comes to spelling so I had better get someone to check it over.

I'm updating progress on 45aday.com if you want to follow :-)
The artwork you had seen before... Was that the background you had seen?

zerosimms

Okay

why i can't play the game?

i'm stuck into the start screen

Are you pressing the 'zone one' button?

rlc2405

Hey Rlc, your English is perfect!

The background is totally out of place isn't it? I was using it because I had permission too and I didn't have anything better, but your totally right, it's not cartoony enough. Pen and paper for me tonight! :-)

Check Points... Now, I didn't even think about that! That could work!

the smoke is perfect :)

do you pretent do put "corridors" in the game? where the player need to avoid touch the walls?

btw, please take a look in a game of mine: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/594523
there's a topic!
your opinion is very important for me!

zerosimms

Yeah corridors will be coming for sure!
My main focus since the beginning has been to get the real basics working really well, then start to add in the new features, one of the features will be corridors :-)

Just played your game on newgrounds, got to level 8 before giving in and skipping ! It's a good challenge!

I think you got the same issue as me though, where your graphics are a bit all over the place, but I really like you concept!

airman4

Nice graphics and gameplay

The mouse gameplay is a bit weird at the beginning

For the general design , i suggest more something clicable on zone 1 because it's hard to figure out where to click or what to do .

Keep it up
Also the game is fluid
how did you maintain a fluid with all those object generated ?

Hectate

I'm updating progress on 45aday.com if you want to follow :-)
The artwork you had seen before... Was that the background you had seen?
Nope, I'd seen the main character - on 45aday.com :)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Innes

I should have mentioned the smoke; it's amazing! It inspired me to create my own smoke behavior and I'm really pleased with the result; I'll try to create a demo with it.

I would be happy to review your  spelling. If you post a list of words / phrases, I'll check them for you. You can pm me if you prefer.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

zerosimms

I should have mentioned the smoke; it's amazing! It inspired me to create my own smoke behavior and I'm really pleased with the result; I'll try to create a demo with it.

I would be happy to review your  spelling. If you post a list of words / phrases, I'll check them for you. You can pm me if you prefer.

Hey Innes, thank you very much for your offer.
I'll take you up on that and will send over my list of phrases, much appreciated!

Play helped me optimise the smoke, as my version kept killing the FPS the post is here, could be worth a read if you are experiencing a similar issue at all: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,10004.0.html