interactive water possible?

airman4

Sorry for up this topic but i have a great request

I can't find , water test of greg on stencylforge
It's possible to share it please ?
It would be nice since i'm trying to reproduce this kind of stuff (water real time)

Silux

The implementation that slows less is the drawing one.

I made a small experiment game with water and i used a list to keep track of the nodes on the water surface, and then i was drawing a curve between nodes.
This is great if you want waves, and you can also manage rectangular collisions.

Sadly i lost the code, but i can remake it better in a day or two^^
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

airman4

I think that would be great for everyone ?
you could put that in ressources as well ?

Photics

Sorry for up this topic

Bumping this thread doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. It seems that threads like this should be around more often. I think it's good when developers push the limits of the system.

Surprise #1 - Draw Curve?!  :o

...but apparently that's not standard anymore...
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?topic=7205.0

Surprise #2 - There's a lot of potential with Joints. I wasn't thinking about the possibilities because I was using GameSalad.
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

Silux

Curves and joints are necessary to make many kind of effects otherwise unachievable.

Currently working at:

airman4

Hi
I tried it
But i dont know how to make it work?
The water seems moving in the beginning of the scene and nothing more after (it's flat)

What kind of object can collide with it ?

Megalica

You could try making a collision block with a platform that isn't visible, underneathe the collision, and make it so when the block is touched you can make an animation that looks like your Actor is in the water. I don't really use stencyl so I have no idea what i'm talking about, but if this was helpful, then I just blew my own mind X3

Silux

Hi
I tried it
The water seems moving in the beginning of the scene and nothing more after (it's flat)

It's a work in progress.

What exactly are you goint to use water for?

There are many implementations and even if what i'm making is going to be as general as can be, but there are things like waterfalls, dripping and capillarity which need a different approach(aka they are beyond my actual skills).

what i'm going to code is a simple model which shapes the water surface using curves end eventually tracks collisions making waves.Every time an actor falls into water, water level raise accordingly to the area of the actor.
Currently working at:

ipe 369

Hey that's friggen awesome!! I'll have to try that :D Also, you could combine your particle idea, so when an actor makes contact with the nodes it spawns a few particles, to make a splash, might mask the almost 'stringy' look of it :D

airman4

Hi
I tried it

It's a work in progress.

What exactly are you goint to use water for?

There are many implementations and even if what i'm making is going to be as general as can be, but there are things like waterfalls, dripping and capillarity which need a different approach(aka they are beyond my actual skills).

what i'm going to code is a simple model which shapes the water surface using curves end eventually tracks collisions making waves.Every time an actor falls into water, water level raise accordingly to the area of the actor.

Oh ok sorry , i thought it was done xd

Well , i think already your stuff could be enough to begin with

thanks anyway

Silux

uh i forgot the smileys before^^

Search Water Test.

includes some simple collision, odd surface mechanics, watery blue effect, and some sample effects.
Up and down to move the circles.

It's still an alpha so don't rate plis:)

Edit:The Water Test is made upon my "Standard Blank" kit to start faster:D

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:20:49 pm by Silux »
Currently working at:

t4u

it all depends what are you using your water for.
if its a background just nice waves animations would be fine.
if its for platformer a region with some kind of movement resistant.
physics - probably some if inside region set x velocity to:<your vertical speed - speed (depth)>.
making water go from jar to cup probably some small actors on surface and bigger actor on depth representing rest of water (as you dont really care about movement of those). as you pour water( lil ones from jar into cup) you reduce size of depth actor and create new surfies ones. 

so its all depends on contex and what characteristic ar eyou interested in (being liquid, reducing movement, changing shape depending on force)
USE PICTURES WHEN YOU ASK SOMETHING!
If I helped you be sure to mention it in your game.

Tutorials + downloads:
http://t4upl.blogspot.com/

Silux

i won't be able to code about it for a while.
Maybe in the week end i'll tweak it to make it more efficient:)
Currently working at: