Sk8bit (Featured game on MochiGames!)

travisofarabia

Hey all! I wanted to post a quick video to display the current gameplay footage for my upcoming stencyl jam entry.
UPDATE
The game is officially finished and uploaded on kong, newgrounds and soon here at the stencyl arcade! I hope everyone enjoys it and I look forward to some feedback!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/615862

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gp4NBvz8JA&feature=youtu.be

Sk8bit is a Mario Bros. style hop and bop platforming game.
The game will have...
25+ levels spanning across 5 different environments.
Multiple game modes.
Original Soundtrack.
Over a dozen enemies.
and
Mochi Leader boards!

Thanks for checking it out and good luck to everyone in the jam.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:38:16 pm by travisofarabia »

Max Finch

Nice! Good luck to you!

Photon

Looks trippy! :)

So I'm curious: does the skateboarding thing play any unique role in the gameplay?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

travisofarabia

So I'm curious: does the skateboarding thing play any unique role in the gameplay?

Funny you should ask, originally it was just a simple run and jump game but I wanted to add something unique. As a skateboarder it felt like a fun path to travel. As for adding to the gameplay im attempting to experiment with ramps and rails.

Photon

Funny you should ask, originally it was just a simple run and jump game but I wanted to add something unique. As a skateboarder it felt like a fun path to travel. As for adding to the gameplay im attempting to experiment with ramps and rails.
Sounds great! I know it can be hard to distinguish your game from out of the crowd (especially with so many platformers floating around), but it sounds like you are on the right track. Hopefully it goes well!
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

h1rnz1lla

hey looks cool, you should check out "tiny hawk" if you havent yet!

komalrajsingh

Looks pretty cool. Looking forward to playing it.. :D

travisofarabia

hey looks cool, you should check out "tiny hawk" if you havent yet!
Thanks! After I decided to create a skateboard game I searched kong to see if it had been done and "tiny hawk" was the best looking entry there so far and that game is very limited and has a different gameplay style. However I would love to make grinding rails in my game similar to the behavior in that game.

travisofarabia

Looks pretty cool. Looking forward to playing it.. :D

Thanks!

travisofarabia

Sorry for the lack of updates. I had some issues so I stepped away from the game for a few days but today I finished the last of the 25 levels and will have a full release in less than a week. Just a few small tweaks and it will but up and playable very soon! Thanks!

Photon

Sorry for the lack of updates. I had some issues so I stepped away from the game for a few days but today I finished the last of the 25 levels and will have a full release in less than a week. Just a few small tweaks and it will but up and playable very soon! Thanks!
Whew! 25 levels! Right now, level design is probably one of my weaker points. Its harder than it looks (for me, anyway), so sounds like you really did a good job churning out some content in a short time frame. It will be great to see how it turns out!

h1rnz1lla

so hey give it a quick look, played 5 levels.

some thoughts. Air movement feels kind of weird. maybe the gravity needs to be stonger? as long as the player moves he should stand on his board, if his absolute speed is 0 he should stand on the ground. also enemy collision is pretty unforgiven maybe shrink the collision box a little bit.

besides that pretty solid stuff!

:D

travisofarabia

Hey Guys! The game is now featured on newgrounds front page! Very excited to put the stencyl name on the front page!

h1rnz1lla

Oh wow! Congrats thats cool!

travisofarabia

Update! Featured on Mochi Games!