Easy RPG Creator for Stencyl 3.0 (ALPHA V0.3.4)

Justin

Yeah, it's certainly very misleading, but I've never been forced to download anything. And using AdBlock I still see the banner at the top that directs you to the actual download. Perhaps different AdBlock settings. But anyway, yeah, kinda like jumping through hoops. Direct download is much easier.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Siren Games

Again, for those of you who can't navigate adfly, we're working on hosting the download at an alternative location. Sorry for all the trouble we've caused you. Expect a new link by the middle of next week. We're extremely busy right now.

Jzyehoshua

No download is being started; it's just part of a very misleading ad.

What do you mean? As soon as I click the link when the page loads it automatically starts the OpenDownloadManager download. There is no option to skip, it force starts the download as soon as you go to the page. That's what confused me, usually when a download starts automatically as soon as you enter a page you assume it's the download you want, not an adware download.  You have to actively exit the ODM download and only then do you see the "Skip Ad" option.

Jzyehoshua

I just checked, maybe it is specific to Opera. I have Ad-Block Plus installed on both Firefox and Opera but for some reason on Firefox the issue doesn't occur. It's only on Opera that it starts the Open Download Manager download automatically with the Trovi Search adware, forcing you to exit the download before seeing the Skip Ad option. On Firefox the Open Download Manager link never even shows up, and it doesn't start the download automatically either. Maybe it's just a browser specific issue, or maybe Ad-Block Plus doesn't work as well on Opera, but it only seems to be occurring on Opera.

Jzyehoshua

I tried Internet Explorer just now also (which has no Ad-Block Plus, unlike Firefox and Opera) and the Open Download Manager automatically starts there also. I guess it doesn't start when using Firefox, only when using Opera or IE. And if it's the Ad-Block Plus stopping it on Firefox, it's strange that Ad-Block Plus doesn't stop it on Opera. Either way though that's going to trick a lot of people who aren't browsing specifically with Firefox and Ad-Block Plus into downloading a known virus program rather than Easy RPG Creator though.

Justin

Either way, Siren Games has already stated that they're working on making another download option available.

Hey Siren, I can host a download for you if you want, for until you've got time on your hands to set things up yourself.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Meestar

I tried Internet Explorer just now also (which has no Ad-Block Plus, unlike Firefox and Opera) and the Open Download Manager automatically starts there also. I guess it doesn't start when using Firefox, only when using Opera or IE. And if it's the Ad-Block Plus stopping it on Firefox, it's strange that Ad-Block Plus doesn't stop it on Opera. Either way though that's going to trick a lot of people who aren't browsing specifically with Firefox and Ad-Block Plus into downloading a known virus program rather than Easy RPG Creator though.

I just tested it with Internet Explorer, no Ad-Block, and it didn't automatically start any downloads for me?  I also use Firefox without Ad-Block and I don't have any problems.  I see an ad on the screen with a "Your Download Is Ready, Click Here to Download," but that's it.
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

Jzyehoshua

Either way, Siren Games has already stated that they're working on making another download option available.

Hey Siren, I can host a download for you if you want, for until you've got time on your hands to set things up yourself.

Yeah, just wanted to clarify that this is a serious issue. I noticed on the related wiki page that other people are having the same issue. I wouldn't be surprised if it's kept several people from downloading Easy RPG Creator altogether now.

Jzyehoshua

I just tested it with Internet Explorer, no Ad-Block, and it didn't automatically start any downloads for me?  I also use Firefox without Ad-Block and I don't have any problems.  I see an ad on the screen with a "Your Download Is Ready, Click Here to Download," but that's it.

Strange, when I use Internet Explorer it starts the download automatically.  I am using Version 11.0.9600.17207 of IE right now.

Siren Games

I've used Adfly MANY times in the past before knowing about ABP and I've never had any viruses or sketchy pop ups like that.  I have a feeling it's an issue with Opera's security allowing a pop up from Adfly that shouldn't be allowed. 

Since we're openly discussing download strategies, I'd like to ask:  I'm interested in collecting interested party's email addresses for future updates of ERC and possibly other future game releases by our studio.  Basically a mailing letter.  If we went the route of putting the download behind an email address form, we'd obviously make this an option and only email those who checked the "I'd like email about future updates" box.  Would anyone have a problem with this?  Obviously after filling out the form you'd get a direct download with no further hoops. 

I'm not trying to make this a hassle, but we're trying to monetize our passion lately and this is a business strategy I've seen hundreds of times to collect future marketing information.  If not, I'll just make a gigantic freaking "DONATE" button on our download page right below the link.  Again, I don't expect to make a ton of money on ERC, but our "secret project" is something we'd like to monetize if it works out, and it'd be nice to have a client list to contact to help boost our userbase. 

I feel transparency is the best business policy.  Give me some opinions.

Fusions

I get an error whenever I try to start the game.

Database Information Loader (57) -  Class not found

BHollowell

I noticed you're at v0.60 but the download link is still only v0.34 - could you please update the link to the latest version?

Siren Games

Hey BHollowell,

Yeah.  We're currently working (when we can) on v.6 but the latest public release is v.34.  The reason for this is because everything from that point on is work done on the battle system.  (This is also all of our coder's work, so I don't know the details on what has actually been completed.)  Apparently this work is unfinished and isn't suitable for a public release.  Unfortunately we're still on hiatus due to other projects which are taking priority right now.  So when there's a new public release we'll be posting it.

Fusions:  Run > Clean Project should fix that issue.

Download links are nothing but adds waste of time!!!

captaincomic

The links are using interstitial ad sites, but you just need to wait 5 seconds and then click "Skip Ad" to get to the download.