Lava Bird

Photon

Very cool take on the game. You should definitely get this published on mobile asap.
Yeah, that was the other thing. If you're going to move on this, logic says move quickly before the fad has died off.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

colburt187

Unept, you are on fire right now,

this and Disposabot are 2 of my favourite stencil games of recent times.

music on this is just fantastic, fits perfectly with the game.

i actually find this game very soothing, could and will play for a very long time.

32 38 best score so far.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:45:45 pm by colburt187 »

Unept

@colburt187, it's funny but I also find it soothing. Funny since it was for FlappyJam, the least soothing jam theme ever.

Also, my high score is 78, but I still haven't seen the final enemy in-game.

@photon, thanks for the advice. I sure hate following fads, but I'm curious to see how this plays on mobile. And I agree about experimenting with simple ideas. Most of my ideas are more involved. Disposabot took MONTHS to put together. I may put more time into simpler games after this.

I'll probably keep the birds. I have mocked up another creature; I may unlock that option if players get to the final enemy or something. Keep it simple.

Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

Photon

My high score is 64, FYI. :)
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

NobodyX

Went back to it and after a few tries got 71. It seems the best strategy is to fall near the bottom then mash hard so you get a lot of fireballs in a short amount of time, and if you don't mash then there's only so many fireballs you can get without hitting the ceiling. I really like that because it makes the game harder considering you have more to dodge, and mashing is distracting, so it's kind of like an optional "hard mode" that's purely an organic part of the game's design. The game is surprisingly deep for how simple it is and for how you control it with 1 button.

[Edit]
Played some more, this game is really addicting. I think part of why it's great is it has a good mix of short term feedback and longer term, more nebulous feedback form your actions. Short term being "I got hit by a fireball, I suck at dodging" and long term being "the birds are getting in the way, I should have made more balls" or "there are too many balls, I should have made less". I like that the birds occupying the space above and below you isn't entirely in your control, it gives variety to the gameplay sessions but yet you do have SOME control over it because you could have maybe fixed a bad situation by making more fireballs. It's mean, but games could use more meanness, having everything be purely a test of skill or knowledge of the game can get boring fast.

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but design-wise I think this game is really smart and it's kinda inspiring to me.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:33:01 pm by NobodyX »

Unept

@NobodyX, thanks for the great analysis. I think you hit a few things on the head, it does have some deeper strategy in there. It was serendipitous to see how well the gameplay turned out, much better than I expected.

Also, my 5yo got 17, and he wants to "get more practice tomorrow."  :)

Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

Unept

henson802

I like your unique twist to the gameplay. 

Original and doesn't change the addicting formula from flappy birds.

Very nice!!

gurigraphics

Liked. Really hard. Good luck in jam.

Blue Bit Games

Love the game.
Nice art and music. :)

lava flame2

You said you added a "bar to show progress"

where can i find this bar

legodude2222

Also could you play may game too, thanks?
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,28510.0.html

Seems good, but the hit-boxes definitely need to be tweaked so that it doesn't look like the player is hovering and colliding with walls that are a few centimeters(Screen wise) away.
Making games, one error at a time.

Unept

@lava flame2 I just meant the row of enemy bird "unlocks" that show up at the top. I shouldn't have called it a progress bar I guess.

colburt187

I'm trying to workout if the different colour of birds arrive due to how many you have killed or time survived,

is it worth trying to kill as many blues as you can early so you can be more conservative later, things got pretty sketchy once the purples started over taking me.