Ghost Song (back on Stencyl -- Warning, big GIFs ahead!)

dripple

Well, thanks. That's what I was looking for. How do others deal with bigger projects, how they organize their code and such.
Sure, my games won't get better with all the new features of Stencyl.
But I do have more fun creating bad ones.

MayazCastle Keeper

petersdream

Absolutely mind blowing, this is a game I would really like to play.
Congratulations the atmosphere is really something !
Indie Game developer (at night). Currently working on his dream game for iOS.
@petersdreamgame

twotimingpete

thanks guys :D

I've been tweaking the camera some, not only because I always knew a more comprehensive system was needed, but some feedback on the video prompted me to think about it more sooner. I'll talk about it a little since some of you may find it interesting and newcomers might find it informative.

It occured to me and others that the camera targeting the center of the player wasn't always ideal, it'd be nice to see where you're going. This is something I'd avoided in the past because of the "jerking" I remembered getting in previous tests when you turned the character around.

^ To anyone who may not be super familiar with Stencyl already, this is how you might attach one actor to another, by, in the updating loop, constantly setting its position to a position relative to the target actor. The value added to the offset amount is something I'll explain in a bit.

To start my new experiment, first I attached an actor relative to the player's position. This would be the new target for the camera, rather than the player actor itself.

video: http://gfycat.com/CooperativeVacantAmericanmarten

as you can see from the video, it feels jerky when you change directions. It's too abrupt.

I was thinking about how to solve this, so I decided that instead of just setting the actor instantly extending from the other side on turning around, I'd make it extend and retract from the actor, up to a maximum amount, relative to the actor's position.

http://gfycat.com/InfamousSecretAsianlion

Now we're talking. It feels rather smooth, you can see ahead of you, and you never get jerked around. Remember the number attribute I added to the X and Y offsets? those numbers are rolled up and down when the player moves, and this influences the relative position of the camera dummy to the character.

As you may have noticed, I also put in a Y value. I used this for looking up and down.

I always knew I'd need to change to a camera dummy sooner or later, because it's used for more than just tweaking the behavior of the camera during basic gameplay. It can also quiet easily be used to control the camera's movements when extra control is needed for specific circumstances. Just wrap up the existing regular behavior in a value that can be turned off, at which point another set of instructions can be issued to the camera actor, such as move to a location.

Epic428

Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic work! I'm really looking forward to seeing the progression of this game and I think it is exactly what Stencyl needs to prove to the world what capabilities it has and what can come out of it if you really focus your time and energy on making a game. I also wanted to let you know that I voted for it on Steam Greenlight. It's actually the only game I ever voted for so I really wish you luck!
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

MadManAdam

As I believe somebody else mentioned can you post a screen shot(s) of a scene or two of yours from the scene designer?  Maybe something to show number of layers or how you hide tiles under the layers etc..  That'd be awesome. 

Nice work on the camera btw.  This game is looking sweet! 

It's also cool that you're in Columbus, OH, I live just North of Dayton myself.

I know you already have a sound person but if you need something really quirky or for any future projects (or anybody else for that matter) check out my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/mannequinracesband

NotNaN

Good luck, beautiful game, music, everything!

svintaj

Looking good, I like those magical particles! Inspiring work. I'm also glad to see you help pushing Stencyl to be an even better game editing tool. Keep up the good work!

gianmichele

Looking great!

I'd like to see a demo of how you layout your level, since you mentioned you're not using tiles but something probably similar to what Ubisoft did for Rayman Legends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-chi097uV4

@Jon: anything like that in your backlog?

filsdd

I would like to know how you did the Lighting Effects (the circle of light/shadow around the character). :]
Its a really nice looking Effect!

twotimingpete

thanks guys. The scene editor and process may not be as exotic as you might imagine, and certainly is nothing like Ubi framework. Imagine using the scene editor and placing lots of actors instead of tiles, and that's about the jist of it.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/sceneexample1.png

(this is a scene where I still happen to be using the background tool to fill the backround, in most new scenes I don't do this and use actors instead)

When it comes to scenes that use more heavily layered backgrounds or foregrounds, I'd love for the scrollfactor in the frames to be represented in the scene editor ("what you see is what you get" editor) at some point, but at this point it's not, so lining things up requires a bit of trial and error. but it's far better than not having it at all and the desired end effect can be achieved with a little patience.

To keep track of whether each enemy should spawn or not, I place it in the editor and assign a customization to a behavior attached to it that will assign a number to the enemy instance i a global attribute, then I can control whether it respawns.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/sceneexample2.png

as far as the light radius, that's really one of the simplest effects I do. It's just a big black graphic with a hole in it, set to stay centered on the main character's location.

I favor a processed look, I like things to look variable and dynamic. So drawing the actual graphics in photoshop is only half of how the game is going to look. The rest is heavily influenced by overlays and shader effects.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:54:39 pm by twotimingpete »

filsdd

Thanks for sharing so much information Matt!
I really like the "straight forward" approach you are using to create stuff on the project.

Out of curiosity: Do you like Masamune Shirow art? (creator of the Manga series Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed)
If you do, I can see a bit of influence on your style... :]

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

MadManAdam

Thanks for sharing your process!  Very informative.  That's a lot of actors! :)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:12:26 pm by MadManAdam »

twotimingpete

Ghost Song has been officially greenlit! As far as I know, this is now, if you'll forgive me just a bit of self horn tooting, the first Stencyl game to be confirmed for Steam release, which is something I'm proud of. I've always seen great potential in this software.

Thanks all for your kind words and for voting.  8)

Hectate

Ghost Song has been officially greenlit! As far as I know, this is now, if you'll forgive me just a bit of self horn tooting, the first Stencyl game to be confirmed for Steam release, which is something I'm proud of. I've always seen great potential in this software.

Thanks all for your kind words and for voting.  8)
I would "Like" this quote but I don't see a button... Congrats!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.