Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Ghost Song (back on Stencyl -- Warning, big GIFs ahead!)

LIBERADO

Alternatively I guess  I could just switch their animation to one without a collision shape
You don't need to switch the animation. You can remove the collision shape:

I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

twotimingpete

oh thanks. I can't believe I didn't realize that was there. :)

ALso I accidentally made this funny bug. I almost wish I could leave it in because it looks so weird.

LIBERADO

Hahaha... the enemies seem to become worms after being killed.
To avoid unpredictable/undesirable results, it is safer to remove the collision shapes after killing the enemies.

By the way, when removing the collision shapes, take into account this important bug: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?issue=778.0

Hopefully this bug is fixed as soon as possible.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:16:39 am by LIBERADO »
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

squeeb

Wow! Beautiful!  Love the rag doll physics!...
Maybe you could use that "bug" effect and make a boss come back together! And still fight you.. the pieces almost look like they are still alive and trying to connect back together

twotimingpete

thanks! I got a similar impression from the bug but I'm not sure exactly how I would accomplish making them join together. Sounds hard.

I made it so if you kill an enemy with a point blank shotgun blast they fly further:

NobodyX

Very neat!!!
About physics crashing, when I used to not use simple physics I'd get crashes when an object was being squished by a "cannot be pushed" actor and the game didn't know where to put the actor that could be pushed. One thing that happened a lot was if all the relevant surfaces were parallel then it couldn't decide a direction to push the object out and so it would crash. I don't know of any other types of box2d crashes.
“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa

twotimingpete

Nothing particularly new here but I have these pretty dialed in now and this gif demonstrates why having ragdolls makes (in my opinion) killing things more fun.

http://i.imgur.com/XRchbjJ.gifv

and yeah, I probably should make the tile collision shape on those guys a bit narrower so they fall off sooner.

SadiQ

The problem with ragdolls is that they all fall in the same way and it's pretty noticeable (and unrealistic) . You can see their arms rotating towards the back at angles that should be impossible to get. Noticed how no enemy fell on their knees when they died? Notice how they mostly fall towards the front if you shoot them normally?
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

twotimingpete

they fall frontwards if they're walking and aren't pushed back hard.

I could randomize the forces a bit more.

fillergames

I dunno if it's possible, but some location-based gibbing with powerful weapons could make things more satisfying to use in-game. Hitting them in the arm could tear it off and such.