GameSalad User Looking at Stencyl

dreichelt

I was wondering if you guys could tell me how this compares to GameSalad? As you may know, GameSalad is primarily a drag and drop game builder. How does Stencyl compare? Are there certain things it can do that GameSalad can't? I'd love to learn another game builder that allows me more variety in the games I make. Thanks!

Hectate

I've never used GameSalad, but Stencyl is free to try so why not give it a shot!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Photon

Where's Photics when you need him? :P
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

LIBERADO

I'd love to learn another game builder that allows me more variety in the games I make.
What important limitations do you see in GameSalad?
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

dreichelt

I'd love to learn another game builder that allows me more variety in the games I make.
What important limitations do you see in GameSalad?

Well one big thing for me is having to figure out how to use functions and mathematical equations. If I want to make let's say a slingshot ala Angry Birds, it would take a good amount of study to learn how to make that work. They have templates forAngry Birds, but it's just my example. I also think it's a bit sluggish to program with, but I've only been doing this for a year. I'm not looking to stop using GS, as I think it's an excellent tool, but I'm I'll also add more  tools if they give me more variety or make programming even simpler. I heard about Stencyl and thought I'd inquire. But I'll probably just look at some tutorials and see what they show.

SadiQ

Unfortunately a tool that allows us to make games without any code doesn't mean that the we don't need the math that is required to achieve certain tasks. Stencyl comes with an angry birds like clone so you could check it if what you want to know which tool makes it easier to do.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Bhoopalan

Visit the link:

http://www.stencyl.com/affiliates/

That contains a list of courses based on stencyl and are also cheap. I can't recommend all as I haven't tried all. But you could try Richard Sneyd's courses. You'll realize the potential of stencyl. You can create the game program without coding knowledge. Building blocks is the greatest advantage of stencyl. I've tried many engines that's the comparision I could come up with. I'm not sure about Gamesalad though. From your message, it appears that you can create only games that are already existing in templates? If that's the case, stencyl is definitely different. You can work on your own concept without coding skill.
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

luismp

I first used gamesalad for a couple months and then i found stencyl  and is the tool that im using since then. Gamesalad and stencyl are almost the same. The major difference between them is that in stencyl you have the ability to code and make extensions so you arent totally limited to what the stencyl team offer and in gamesalad you cant do nothing more that what they have built in(until the graphene sdk is out). I tried both and i found stencyl to be more intuitive and also far far far more stable than gamesalad. In gamesalad almost every time they update to a new version they have new bugs that stops you from publishing, that doesnt happen in stencyl (not regularly).  Also here we have admob to monetize our games , something that almost every gamesalad user wants but the team doesnt implement it and i dont know why. 

But in both of them you have to do some maths to make your game. Since you can try for free both of them i recommend to play with both and then decide which one is better for you. No one can decide that for you.

One of the advantages of gamesalad is that they have a ver large community and almost for every type of game you want to make there is a template or tutorial in youtube, so that makes things easier. Also i can tell you, you can watch gamesalad tutorials and use that knowledge in stencyl, because both systems work in the same way...

Bhoopalan

Also i can tell you, you can watch gamesalad tutorials and use that knowledge in stencyl

Wow, is that true?
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

luismp

well i explain it better xD. Usually you watch tutorials for making some type of game. Since both gamesalad and stencyl are built in the same way (drag and drop blocks) if you know a little bit of both of them you have no problem to translate "code" between them. Thery are pretty similar but with different menus and interfaces, so if you know  a little bit it's easy to find what you were using in gamesalad in stencyl.  In the same way you can see some stencyl tutorials and use that in gamesalad. There are specific things in both of them that you cant find or use in the other one but all the general stuff is the same.

dreichelt

Unfortunately a tool that allows us to make games without any code doesn't mean that the we don't need the math that is required to achieve certain tasks. Stencyl comes with an angry birds like clone so you could check it if what you want to know which tool makes it easier to do.

I suppose I was hoping  Stencyl was more user friendly in how it implements functions and advanced math. I'm not looking to not have to do any work just something that is more user friendly for people like me. Perhaps you guys know of some good tutorials on how to implement certain mathematical functions?

dreichelt

Visit the link:

http://www.stencyl.com/affiliates/

That contains a list of courses based on stencyl and are also cheap. I can't recommend all as I haven't tried all. But you could try Richard Sneyd's courses. You'll realize the potential of stencyl. You can create the game program without coding knowledge. Building blocks is the greatest advantage of stencyl. I've tried many engines that's the comparision I could come up with. I'm not sure about Gamesalad though. From your message, it appears that you can create only games that are already existing in templates? If that's the case, stencyl is definitely different. You can work on your own concept without coding skill.

Thanks a lot!

dreichelt

I first used gamesalad for a couple months and then i found stencyl  and is the tool that im using since then. Gamesalad and stencyl are almost the same. The major difference between them is that in stencyl you have the ability to code and make extensions so you arent totally limited to what the stencyl team offer and in gamesalad you cant do nothing more that what they have built in(until the graphene sdk is out). I tried both and i found stencyl to be more intuitive and also far far far more stable than gamesalad. In gamesalad almost every time they update to a new version they have new bugs that stops you from publishing, that doesnt happen in stencyl (not regularly).  Also here we have admob to monetize our games , something that almost every gamesalad user wants but the team doesnt implement it and i dont know why. 

But in both of them you have to do some maths to make your game. Since you can try for free both of them i recommend to play with both and then decide which one is better for you. No one can decide that for you.

One of the advantages of gamesalad is that they have a ver large community and almost for every type of game you want to make there is a template or tutorial in youtube, so that makes things easier. Also i can tell you, you can watch gamesalad tutorials and use that knowledge in stencyl, because both systems work in the same way...

Thanks a lot for the info man I appreciate it!

Photon

I suppose I was hoping  Stencyl was more user friendly in how it implements functions and advanced math. I'm not looking to not have to do any work just something that is more user friendly for people like me. Perhaps you guys know of some good tutorials on how to implement certain mathematical functions?
I don't know how GameSalad implements things, but functions are essentially the blocks you see in the design mode palette. In that regard, if you find the right combination of blocks to achieve what you are looking for (getting angles, setting velocity,) you can put them together to get what you want. You can even add your own or see what the community has come up with (I personally wrote what I call an "EasyMath" extension) It is, of course, not always that straightforward when it comes to game logic but Stencyl can certainly make it easier.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

SadiQ

There's also an Easy Math extension that  really simplifies some things (and things can be added to it if something would come in handy).
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.