Ms. Rainbow (Out Now)

TheeSeaverShow

If you hold down while your character is falling you could use a glide ability, as if they had a cape keeping them from falling fast.

Yes, this is exactly the logic I had in mind for the glide ability for level 8.  For duck, I tried a down swipe, but I haven't gotten the controls to be completely responsive.... Some times he will jump, others he will duck... If I can fix this, levels 7 and 8 demos should be out soon... Still thinking about a 9th.

TheeSeaverShow

Still thinking about a 9th.

Swipe teleport?

Very very interesting....  If I can get the down swipe to work, this is a very possible option.  Thanks for the input!

ceosol

get the down swipe to work

I haven't gotten the "swipe" input to work correctly. I use a listener when mouse is pressed, if it is released ~50 pixels away, count it as a swipe.

TheeSeaverShow

Care to post some code of that Ceosol.  Been trying to go off of what you said, and it still a little buggy.  Sometimes he will jump, others he will slide/teleport.

Also, I have a glide ability right now, but the player has to grab a hangGlider first, and its automatically starts.  Will be posting the demo to that sometime tonight.

ceosol

Here is a code for separating the swipes and clicks. When pressed starts the sequence. When released checks to see how far the drag went. You can make it more or less sensitive than that and include different angle - it just requires more programming.

TheeSeaverShow

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll give this a try as soon as I finish up polishing this glide behavior. 

TheeSeaverShow

** Updated top post**
**Check for red "New" posts.

Added demo for level 7 ability, Glide.  Added a description and deleted a few un needed items. Also asking for suggestions on art and music.

merrak

Glide took me a little longer to get used to, but it works well. It'd be nice if I could have some sort of warning when the timer is about to expire--maybe the flames die down or start to smoke a bit? Some visual indication would be helpful.

TheeSeaverShow

Glide took me a little longer to get used to, but it works well. It'd be nice if I could have some sort of warning when the timer is about to expire--maybe the flames die down or start to smoke a bit? Some visual indication would be helpful.

Noted.  Will work on this soon.  Don't think ill get to do any gamedev today but hopefully by Saturday. 

TheeSeaverShow

** Updated top post**

Ive got some feedback from mobile testers about the glide ability being un-liked when the player turns sideways (Demo 7 v1), So I decided to go with a suggestion left on this forum to have a cape instead. (Demo 7 v2).  My question is what fits better?  I need help deciding this before I can make any levels beyond 7. 

**Please do not worry about the different graphics, I want opinions on the glide animation/action/feeling into the game / graphics.  Thank you in advance for your comments, and opinions, I will respond as soon as I get a chance! **

ceosol

I'm torn, I like both. I think the glider goes more with the theme. It is not a bad thing having his oriented in a different direction for some of it.

Donni11

This game / games are truly amazing :) !!!!!!!!
Peace

TheeSeaverShow

First of all, let me say thanks for your continued interest and responses in this thread.  Now,

I'm torn, I like both. I think the glider goes more with the theme. It is not a bad thing having his oriented in a different direction for some of it.

I agree with you... I like both as well. I am going to try and polish both up tomorrow and re update them on here for some more opinions.  Im also going to put a few death animation on the bottom of the screen like sharks/fly traps/ fire/ etc...

Looking forward to more input!

This game / games are truly amazing :) !!!!!!!!

Donni11,

Thanks for the response and Im glad to see that you like it.  Hopefully you'll keep tabs and keep checking out the updates as I go!  Really enjoying this game dev journal, wish I would-a started doing them earlier. 

TheeSeaverShow

** Updated top post**

Added images for a few enemies that I had in mind.  Also, decided to have each level have a unique death/lose animation for falling to the bottom of the scene.

Ive added an cutting effect to the character when he hits sharp objects.  Ill upload a demo to this by tomorrow.

Also, looking for sounds for each unique lose, as well as backgrounds noise/sounds for each level.

Will be on for the next few hours, hoping for some replies and suggestions!