Sounds on windows?

DTH

Iv got a problem with no sounds on windows, I read in a thread from last year that there was an issue with sounds on windows in fullscreen mode so I disabled it and sure enough my background music is playing nicely .... but I have no sound effects, at all?

I have imported both mp3 and ogg for all sounds, it works great on flash and droid, nothing on windows, any pointers?

Justin

Could you point to the thread you referenced?
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

Donni11

@Justin , DTH  is talking about This Thread .
Peace

DTH

Donni11

Also DTH , can you post your full logs ? I want to look at something.

How to generate logs :
To generate logs, go to the following menu item.

Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Then, attach the resulting ZIP file to your forum post.
Peace

Justin

Do you have the ' Could not load "assets/music/sound-xxx.ogg" ' error too?

DTH

I think I'v tracked the issue to mono .ogg files, I got the sounds working on windows by literally adding a stereo track to a single sound file then all sounds started working, if i swap any of the now stereo .ogg files for a mono one it immediately breaks the sound on first run but works on second, if i swap out all the stereo for mono then no sounds work at all and yes in this case I get the "Could not load "assets/sfx/sound-125.ogg" for all mono sfx sound files, this also breaks the background music.

I'v attached my logs but I really don't think this is a project issue and the fix/work-a-round is simply to just not be lazy and make stereo sounds in the first place as I should be doing but for testing you know, a quick placeholder sound, didnt think it would be a problem lol

EDIT: it also has nothing to do with fullscreen settings, coincidence is the only way I can explain that!

Donni11

@DTH , thanks for uploading the logs , I'll take a look..
Peace

Donni11

I found this in your logs :
Code: [Select]
2015-07-27 02:09:34,031 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] stencyl.sw.util.dg.MessageDialog: Incompatible Sound Type - Only MP3 and OGG files are supported.Are you sure their ogg or mp3 ?
Peace

letmethink

Donni this was solved already. They were mono .ogg's which are surprisingly unsupported.
~Letmethink

Donni11

Oh , I didn't that l sentence . Thanks :) !
Peace

DTH

^^ An old habit from using Reason+Recycle I keep all my sound source files in wav form and generate the needed formats from the wav source, in that instance when I was changing the sounds I selected the wav file by mistake as they all reside in the same folder, and when Stencyl prompted me I reloaded the correct format

Should I mark this topic as solved .... only, the behavior seems a little odd, are mono sound files officially unsupported, the IDE gives no indication that there is a problem with the file it detected it was mono, 44.1Hz and no VBR or tags?

not that its an issue, I love making music as well as games and software so I can handle having to produce my sounds to a semi pro level plus you can bend and pitch the channels to produce some unique sounds but for mock-ups and quick test sounds I didn't really want to have to over produce everything straight off the bat not only that what about the users that don't have audio engineering experience

Sorry, I ask so many questions because I intend to teach Stencyl, being asked a question I can not answer does not make the tutor look very good, when these problems arise I want/need to be able to answer off the cuff with a working solution or a solid reason why its not working ..... plus I also offer private tuition, cant charge people for questions I can not answer lol

Justin

I can't find anything about openfl not supporting mono, so I can only assume it's an issue in our toolset. I'll take a look.

Minimo

Yeah this just happened to me as well.
Just lost mono 'dialogue' sound files.

They *used to* play, but I played a level today, and heard no dialogue.
Tried another level with dialogue, heard none.

Then made a 'test scene' by putting characters in a room with no gravity, and set to trigger a sound when they were clicked.  When I set the sound file to be played to another *stereo* sound, everything worked.  When I switched back to the *mono* sound, no sound was heard.  I tried this with 5 characters / sound files. 

Also went into the games-generated folder, found the dialogue ogg's from the game, and played them in a sound editor... where they play perfectly.  So sound playback is clearly the issue.

Maybe this is a new issue ?  The dialogue used to work in this game !