Non Named (Updates whenever)

Iddo

I learned that back up lesson the hard way.

fillergames

Memory usage has been cut by almost half with atlas use, but the CPU usage didn't lower that much.

At least I know it's possible to lower it by quite a bit.

merrak

Is this going to be a desktop game, web game, or a mobile game? I'd guess that a good chunk of your CPU usage comes from the NPC following routines. 6.5% doesn't seem bad unless it's 6.5% of a really good CPU (which would translate to a higher percentage of a mid-range or low-end CPU), or you have a lot more code to write.

fillergames

Desktop. As I don't have a phone. I'll buy the license when I'm finished the game (If that's allowed. Because I know some engines have it against their TOS if you build a game off the free version and make the final off the paid version)

I'm running on a laptop with a garbage processor. But the real victim of this is how I applied coding, as I did the dreaded mistake of overusing updating scripts with tons of if/otherwise-if blocks.

As said, this more proper movement script uses 1/7 of the length of the original. It currently only supports 4 way, but it's far less taxing than my older script.

merrak

If you have a low-end processor and are still getting good performance with room to spare then you should be okay. If/then statements are cheap to run--I wouldn't worry about those alone.

I don't think there's any TOS problem with developing your game using the free version and then subscribing when you're ready to publish.

fillergames

Typically, I'd prefer to optimize the code as much as possible. As cleaner, shorter code like what I provided is easier to debug than messy, confusing code.

As for the TOS thing. I know Unity's TOS has this "You May Not Use Unity Personal, Unity Plus And/Or Unity Pro Simultaneously " Basically saying that you cannot start a project on Unity personal, and integrate it into Unity Pro. I thought Stencyl would have a similar rule.

fillergames

More code optimization. This method allows 8 way movement with no updating, and minimal if/otherwise scripts.

fillergames

Since updates are going to be slow for a bit, here's a massive sprite dump/scratch pad for a single character, since I put way too much time on sprites out of pure dedication to my hobbies.

Usually when making new poses and sprites, I tend to think of the context of them, and how they fit the character. Some of them are pretty rough, but they look fine in animation. The ones labelled "unused" have already been cut from the game.

Some of the sprites have not been updated to suit the character redesign that happened a bit ago. These ones will probably be cut sooner or later depending on how I feel of them.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:43:38 am by fillergames »

decafpanda

Hey that movement code is interesting.  Do you feel that this setup vs an always event helps performance drastically, decently, or just a little?

I am now really trying to find ways to optimize and simplify coding to boost performance and this approach to movement looks cool!

fillergames

Interestingly, the setup I did was actually worse for performance. As from a quick test, a single updating script only used 3%  of my CPU usage, while the method I did used 6-7%.

So there wasn't really any point of doing that, as it was indeed using more CPU.

decafpanda

Oh, good to know, ha :)  Amazing working with this game btw.  Looks great and doing all of this art yourself, along with even your own font (if I remember  correctly)  is pretty ridiculous.  Good stuff!!

fillergames

Thank you! Anyways...

Development of the game started early 2016, and most of that was development hell in concepts. I had the writing and concept art done, but I didn't like how it went due to me having some harsh standards myself. Almost all the concept art was scrapped, as I decided to reuse what I thought would work. Here's a small sample of the original game's concepts when it was very overblown and filled with issues.

Here's a room. This one got far enough to have the basic layout made in-game.

The abandoned prison was going to serve a major plot point for a NPC, it was cut 100%. It was going to contain you looking around various rooms to find switches to open vairous doors. You also had to explore the dark basement with little light. It was cut for having no real relevance to the game's plot other than filler to move things onwards.

Bottom floor of a house.

One of the rooms in that house shown above. This room got far enough into development before the restart to have it's own room fleshed out.

Early town.

Earlier sprites were more rough, with flat colours and a more MS Paint quality to them. (I still use MS Paint to make these sprites funny enough. But they're far less rough)

As for the font...

The font was made with me with some assistance. I might make a Truetype font of it one day when bored.

fillergames

Haven't been feeling in the mood to make game stuff, but here's a small update.

NPCs now have indicators to yell you if you're able to speak to them. This is more or less apart of a step I want to do, which is provide more non-verbal player feedback on interaction (Verbal feedback on anything easy to understand, such as the game pausing and telling you "Walk up to an NPC, and press the action button to speak to them" is just going to get on the player's nerves), so it's easier to understand what does what.

For non speaking NPC's that have interaction such as signs, the sign will appear on the player's head with a question mark instead of "..."

fillergames

Possibly concept for a method of more gameplay orientated saving. Yes or No options do not exist, yet.

This also brings up another feature that I've never really documented. The options menu allows the text box GUI placement, it has 3 settings on where it can go. Top, bottom, and auto. Top and bottom are as expected, but auto tries to make sure the text box isn't in the way of NPCs via choosing top or bottom based off NPC location.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:21:01 am by fillergames »

fillergames

Added yes/no options, though, the trigger system used to activate these is not finished, yet. Also, minor re-write of the saving text to sound a tad better. Added some post-ingame filters on the book to make it look more old-fashioned and dusty.