welcome to the bikiniverse

tigerteeth

hey mdotedot, thanks for checking out the game, i'm glad you enjoyed it. I actually first stumbled upon the mechanic a long time ago doing something very similar. I guess it's a kind of obvious thing even though I've never seen anybody else who does it.

Yes there are some blockers/pushers that you can move around later on, I suppose that's one of the "obvious" things to have in this kind of game!

tigerteeth

hey @merrak, do you remember how the "Z-order according to Y position" was (probably) slowing my game down a lot? I have come up with an alternative. Each of the solid blocks (that the player can be above or below) now has two separate actors: the top of half of the block is one actor, and the bottom half of the block is another. The top half moves itself to the front of the Z layer as soon as it is created, and the bottom half moves itself straight to the back as soon as it is created. The player actor is always in the middle of its Z layer, so problem solved! And everything within just 3 separate z layers, and no "always" events!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:28:20 pm by tigerteeth »

merrak

Cool 8) Sounds like a clever solution. So the lag went away?

tigerteeth

I'm waiting till i get paid to renew my stencyl licence to make an APK and try it out, but it's definitely a much simpler way of doing things.

Question: I'm using simple physics actors to generate the top half of the block. Would it be much more efficient to use the image API?

merrak

I'd expect simple or minimal physics actors to be good enough... and probably easier to manage since you're already using actors for everything.