SubCivic [Update 12 - Suggest Mechanics Please]

Wesxdz

What's new?
Mechanics?

We're currently at a standstill trying to figure out the mechanics.  I'm worried that we're making submarines too simple and taking away the fun of building and experimenting with complex ships. It's also difficult to make the submarines look good if players build them using modules.  Hmmm...

Another big concern is that my current rotating and scaling engine does not work with real-time collisions. The alternative is to create some sort of grid-based movement. But that feels like it's taking away the physics.

Update 12

We've started to work on lore, inventory, and submarine building. I like the plot very much:
On a distance aquaplanet known simply as Ice VII, humanity has located a powerful energy source deep within the frozen core.  Competing intergalactic factions rush to colonize and conquer an infinite ocean, spanning across the entire planet's surface. Little do they know of the titans that lurk in the depths.

+Traveling between layers. (Infinite 3D world)
+Random Captain Name Generator
+Simple UI
+Glacial Puffer Basic AI

Working on new module types for the different factions.
Listen to some music that will be in the game.

Update 11

I wish I had more gameplay, but I spent most of the past few days creating a VM on my iMac and learning how to make extensions in Haxe. I'll be working on implementing the UI in submarine building tomorrow.
Here's a Glacial Puffer and the beginning of a menu.

Update 10

March 17th. Today I added infinite world collisions and saving. This will eventually allow players to build bases in the world. I also added a few sound effects. I've been trying to add a couple custom shaders for zooming, etc... to improve the game. I also created a behavior that spawns the player in an empty area after starting the game. I'm still waiting on Daniel to create the submarine building user interface. Hopefully I can add that this weekend.

Update 9

+Ragdoll Physics
+Weapons
+Local Co-Op
+Controller Support
+2D box
Some progress was lost in order to add Co-Op and 2D box.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yiXd_PDwVlc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yiXd_PDwVlc</a>

Update 8

Progress is painstakingly slow, I spent most of the day just trying to get actors to rotate, scale, zoom, and move accurately. But I've created a behavior that allows non-player actors to change position appropriately. I'm most likely going to use 2D box and this equation to create collisions tomorrow.  I'll post again once the game has made some real progress.

Update 7
Phew! It took me a couple days, but I managed to create infinite world generation. It's a little bit slow because it has not been optimized yet at all. Still, I'm quite satisfied with the progress I've made.

Bonus! Check out the first boss of the game. A giant, crew-member-eating lobster.

Update 6
Well, I will be the first to admit that my new Image API build does not look pretty as of now.
Today I basically ripped the guts out of my localized collision behavior and decided to rebuild it all. Now the game has the added functionality of zooming and rotating. Plus, I will eventually be able to create infinite worlds with this method. I have yet to devise a collision system in this new build. Rest assured, I will figure it out.

Here's a cool CamoFish that Daniel made today. He also made a ton of progress with modules, and animated an epic 'spolsion'.

Update 5
+Hull pieces
+Improved mining effects
+New Controls

Sick! We've been having problems with the multi-propeller system because it's difficult to mine and still be able to turn. We've added wing functionally that allows you to back up and turn very smoothly. It's a big step towards creating an engaging experience. Tomorrow I plan on adding fuel, food, and the basic shark I've procrastinated. As well as creating an inventory system to store and manipulate this data. Daniel is going to update some ores and add decals to the subs.

Update 4

+Randomly generated coal veins
+Improved localized collisions lists
+Starting zone free from tiles

Update 3
February 29th, we added mining to the game. It's pretty basic, but it's functional and fun. Didn't get around to adding ores or stiff joints. The animations and music I added are starting to make the game come to life.

We also had a conversation about concepts. Here's what I said:

Semi-fantasy, for sure. I was thinking the same. It's sort of a dungeon exploring rogue-like in a submarine. We can mixed handcrafted blocks in with the procedurally generated world, similar to what Spelunky does. I think we should definitely limit content to certain layers, right? So you might encounter Atlantis at depths of 10-12, and you could fight deep sea monsters at 20-30 (we could also change the lighting between these layers). I want to include several very rare ores at deep layers to encourage players to take on substantial risk.

Loot is a really great idea, I hadn't thought of it yet. One option is to make weaker enemies or creatures give you food. You could have a food and fuel gauge, similar to Sunless Sea. I'm all for getting cool modules from bosses.

I'm not sure if we should include permadeath, have multiple game modes, or create some sort of legacy system.

I'm also not sure about story, I think it would be best if we did something like Terraria, where there are bosses and such that you eventually need to defeat before moving on, however, it's up to the player to choose when they battle the bosses. We need to make the game feel infinite, even if we block off certain areas before bosses."

Hmmm... Our submarine looks more like a rocket ship. Better fix that soon.

Update 2
Today I changed up the color schemes a little bit. I also started testing basic module functionality. You can tell I added a background layer as well, I have a few ideas of how I can take advantage of our 3D sort of map in terrain generation. Daniel started working on some modules and made a pretty snazzy propeller animation.

Update 1
I found a pixel artist called Daniel to help develop the game. He designed a tileset and I started on procedural generation.

Early testing in-game screenshot

Tomorrow I'm going to improve the terrain generator, add some simple submarine modules, and create an AI for our first shark.
Party On!

Original Post

In 2014 I posted a game called Liferaft on Steam Greenlight Concepts and it ranked #43. I built a quick prototype in Stencyl, but the game wasn't really fun. I didn't think that any amount of polish could change that.

I'm currently hoping to capture the same thrill that made Liferaft so popular by developing a top-down exploration adventure. In SUBCIVIC you build a submarine, manage your crew, and battle monsters while mining for ore (which you can sell to buy new modules for your sub). It's kind of a mash up between Motherload, Bad Piggies, and FTL.

The mechanics of the game are similar to a multiplayer mod called shiprekt.

See gameplay video.

Here's this cool mockup of a shark I designed!

SubCivic will have a top down perspective, but the player can move between different z layers by changing the amount of water in ballast tanks. As you sink deeper into the ocean's depths, ores become more valuable and monster encounters become deadly.

Other cool aspects of SubCivic:

I'm using the 2D box Joints Extension to connect and propel module pieces.

I'm using the Perlin Noise Extension and some other cool code to procedurally generate multilayer maps.

Blocks are damaged and destroyed based on collision speed and toughness. Some blocks explode when they're destroyed (damaging other adjacent blocks). If the submarine hull is breached, water will start rushing in. If you don't order your crew to fix holes, your submarine will sink.

I'm not quite sure how to rotate the entire scene or zoom well. Help me!

I want the game to eventually feel similar to:

with

Situational voice acting, incredible sound effects, and suspenseful ambience
Dynamic lighting
Cool animations
Snazzy airship-esque submarines

Check out some of my pixel art.
Show me some of your work and send me an email if you're interested in the project.
sirwesleybarlow@gmail.com

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:21:15 pm by Wesxdz »

tigerteeth

I have a small recording studio and have worked as a voice actor. Let me know if I can help you out with that. I can also do music. I'll get some vídeos up if you're interested

Do you have any published games?

merrak

The idea sounds really cool. Looking forward to seeing where this goes  8)

Wesxdz

Check out the new updates, Stencylers.

CmdrWhitey13

That's not a bad system man. Its coming along good. For positioning, you could maybe try angular damping on the object or maybe implementing friction for rotation.
Keep up the good work.

tigerteeth

Looking forward to checking out the newest versión.

Wow! This game is absolutely AMAZING. This gameplay video from Bluedrake42 was so amazing. This may possibly be the best game I have seen made with Stencyl, besides of course Ghost Song. Amazing job! I will beta test or do anything you need me to do/help you. I will even help you do some coding if you need it. Again, awesome job!

~Eli

Wesxdz

Thanks everyone. I actually am looking for a Pre-Alpha collaborator/tester. I want to make sure gameplay is optimized and bugs are squashed as development continues.  Having a PC, Stencyl, and being willing to help optimize or suggest code changes would be very helpful.  If anyone is interested, send me an email at 'sirwesleybarlow@gmail.com'. You'll get a free copy of the game and (depending on how much you help) maybe even some revenue share.

CmdrWhitey13

What's new?
Mechanics?

We're currently at a standstill trying to figure out the mechanics.  I'm worried that we're making submarines too simple and taking away the fun of building and experimenting with complex ships. It's also difficult to make the submarines look good if players build them using modules.  Hmmm...

Another big concern is that my current rotating and scaling engine does not work with real-time collisions. The alternative is to create some sort of grid-based movement. But that feels like it's taking away the physics.

For the real time collisions, it is doable. Take a look at my PENCYL PERFECT concept in journals. The video shows a concept of creating realtime collisions for the ball to interact with. And yes, based with the image API.
Building ships would be cool. Just need to find a way to make it all work together. Your gameplay video you showed is very inspirational for your idea. Almost giving me an idea to see what I can develop as well.

colburt187

Wow! This game is absolutely AMAZING. This gameplay video from Bluedrake42 was so amazing. This may possibly be the best game I have seen made with Stencyl, besides of course Ghost Song. Amazing job! I will beta test or do anything you need me to do/help you. I will even help you do some coding if you need it. Again, awesome job!

~Eli

I think you misunderstood the video, it was game play footage of an existing game called shiprekt they are using for inspiration.

Bombini

Any updates? Looks interesting!