Is Stencyl PR active ?

Donni11

Hello,

It seems to be Stencyl PR isn't active as it used to be.  For example user suggestions. There are some suggestions which are being requested over and over again and Stencyl isn't integrating them . Devs just respond somebody needs to take time to implement it ( but no one does ). Also there have been suggestions by users to suggesting way to help the PR , and these suggestion weren't even responded by Stencyl.

Now  lets talk about the software concern.  Stencyl has left the changelog on GitHub just hanging with out 2 months of documented updates. The software is just distributed with a brief summary.  Also the Stencyl engine on GitHub has three very important fixes which Stencyl didn't even touch.  And speak about software distribution the roadmap is just useless.
- We'll continue our focus on fixing bugs and stabilizing the app. 
well obviously, all software companies have the focus on fixing bugs and stabilizing the app. This doesn't tell users what features Stencyl will be focusing on or which problems are priority.This doesn't tell users Stencyl's plans for future of dropping Openfl legacy.  This is just stating a  obvious responsibly which all software companies have to fulfill. Its not a roadmap.

Stencyl : Please fixes these problems to rebuild Stencyl's PR.

Peace

LIBERADO

Stencyl has left the changelog on GitHub just hanging with out 2 months of documented updates. The software is just distributed with a brief summary.  Also the Stencyl engine on GitHub has three very important fixes which Stencyl didn't even touch.  And speak about software distribution the roadmap is just useless.
Sometimes, Devs have been able to fix a lot of bugs in a few days only (even in a few hours) when they want.
So, honestly, I don't understand this long period without fixing bugs, which is very risky in a highly competitive software market.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

gurigraphics

Unfortunately suggest something or not, there is no democracy here.
It is like development of game. Every developer knows its priorities, where to put more attention and where want to go.

You may or may not take into account the suggestions. And if you do not respond, the most that happens is the players not strive to collaborate more.

Suggestions is equals a sale offer. We sell more when we prove, with data, on how much important is something. And when we have experience in the specific area. And when we are authority on the subject. And when we have case studies of success. And when we offer warranty. And that sort of thing.

What happens is that the people have more afraid of the risk of losing and regress, that desire to earn and progress.

That is why, only logical arguments not convince, nor do people hear what we say, and there are all these objections.

iii

I'm guessing the Devs is busy transitioning Stencyl to OpenFL Next/OpenFL 4.0?
Either that, or everyone is on a holiday.

Rimrook

Doesn't some of the devs go to college or something? Also my understanding is that stencyls official dev team is small. I'm not hopping on the rabble and expecting them to respond as if they have a fully funded and dedicated studio team. It's just not realistic.

I'm amazingly happy with stencyl, and if I can do some dope stuff with it, so can they. It just takes a little patience.

Also if there is something you really want, there are always extensions and extension authors.

gurigraphics

Rimrook, I think this is not the point.
Donni11 have 1875 posts in forum and it has already developed extensions.

OGMG

Speaking as a total noob, I too am amazingly happy with Stencyl. It does everything I need it to do and more, and is flexible enough to accommodate individualized code when necessary.  I can't image a better product out there that's as easy to learn and robust enough to meet the needs of a seasoned developer (which I am not, but the forums are obviously full of them).

However, (again, as a noob) I was - and still am - wary about investing time in learning an IDE where the communication from the devs is very limited. A simple "what's happening" forum post every few weeks would do a lot to reassure me that Stencyl is being actively updated and is keeping up with the newest developments in the gaming world. Again - much love to Stencyl and the devs, but a little communication would alleviate my concerns.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

iii

I'm sure some of you guys are happy.
But you have to remember that, some are 'paying' subscribers too.
Indie($99), and Studio($199), yearly. Its not a $15 indie game pay once, own forever.
And I'm sure the subscribers are part of what keeping Stencyl going.
And shouldn't the subscribers have a bit of a say in this?

I don't think, wanting some kind of at least a weekly (or once every 2 weeks) news update/future roadmap
every now and then is too much to ask. Is it?

Don't get me wrong.
I'm quite happy playing around with my subscribed Stencyl too.
I have no problem supporting them with donating $99 yearly on the indie license.
I'm a hobbyist. I don't really make money from Stencyl.
I just like supporting something that I enjoy using.

But once in a while, knowing where Stencyl is heading, is nice.
I hope they start becoming a bit more active like years before.
This year, its a bit... quiet.

designpeg

I think I read that one of the devs is putting in major work to get stency ready for the next release of openFL , but that it doesn't make sense to release the beta until openfl releases.

Vectrex71

Since Jon has cleared the situation, my words in this thread are now absolutely obsolet and wrong so i descided to change the color of my old text!

you have to remember that, some are 'paying' subscribers too.
Indie($99), and Studio($199), yearly. Its not a $15 indie game pay once, own forever.

End of july my subscription ends, but i'm not sure to renew it.

Take a look to this Google+ Collection. There you will find 126 Game Engines, most of them are for FREE and real open Source.

LINK: https://plus.google.com/collection/UgVbsB

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:27:02 am by Vectrex71 »

yoplalala

I agree, more news will be better. Even if it's to tell us they're on holiday.
They could also correct problems where the solution has been found like : http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?issue=407.0

JeffreyDriver

Even the press and blog pages haven't been updated for quite some time. I know that I don't have a subscription as I'm waiting until I'm proficient with Stencyl first, but I am wondering whether to look for an alternative. I kind of get the impression that the people behind Stencyl are either busy with other things, or are just losing interest in it.
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

ceosol

I'm sure some of you guys are happy.
But you have to remember that, some are 'paying' subscribers too.
And I'm sure the subscribers are part of what keeping Stencyl going.
And shouldn't the subscribers have a bit of a say in this?
I agree with this. The subscriptions are what support that Stencyl dev team. It is fantastic that the community is so involved with making extensions, but the people being paid by us (the subscribers) should be more active. For instance, Admob has not been working on Android. The issue was brought up 3 weeks ago and has not been addressed. There has not even been a "we're looking into it" post. Admob is not some outside extension, it is now integrated into Stencyl.

However, I disagree with the premise of this thread. I think it is a tad absurd to expect the Stencyl devs to respond to and do every single suggestion that comes their way. Yes they need a more active presence on the forum, but we cannot force them to do everything that pops into our heads.

I'm a hobbyist. I don't really make money from Stencyl.

I think that is a big point. There are many people starting to make careers out of Stencyl. There are even a few that are making quite a bit of money using Stencyl (check out colburt's latest game that has made $3900 in two days). We now have at least 5 games on Steam with ~200,000 copies sold between them. Colburt and AdventureIslands have gotten multiple mobile app store features.

Stencyl is at the brink of being a serious contender in the game development community. Maybe increasing PR is the next step? I don't know.

KramerGames

what do you mean by "admob is not working for android"? Seems to be working for me. Are you referring to specific cases?

Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

ceosol

what do you mean by "admob is not working for android"? Seems to be working for me. Are you referring to specific cases?

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,41376.150.html. Reports from 3 different people where it is not working correctly.