photoshop vs. illistrator

brantsmith

When making graphics for games, What do you guys prefer to use? Photoshop, or illustrator?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:47:51 pm by brantsmith »
Coding is Awesome.
Stencyl is Better.

alex pang

Blob

Too bad there isn't some third tool out there that can create graphics.

~ Blob

coleislazy

~ Blob

I think you just beat Alexin for the saltiest forums response of the week. ;)

brantsmith

~ Blob

Ha,Ha, actually, I was asking cause I was planning to either get illistrator or Photoshop and I wasnt sure which one was better for the task.
Coding is Awesome.
Stencyl is Better.

alex pang

There is nothing that's better, if you are motivated you can make wonders with any one of those. But I recommend you to try something simpler first maybe paint or some other pixel art program.

Miasmos Games

I don't use either, but I use InkScape, an open source equivalent of Illustrator, which does vector files. On that ground I would personally recommend Illustrator as Photoshop's vector capabilties aren't as well established (from what I've seen) and vectors are immensely useful for if you're planning on changing graphics sizes etc.

Cupcake Bounce

Freakish

I personally prefer Photoshop.

brantsmith

There is nothing that's better, if you are motivated you can make wonders with any one of those. But I recommend you to try something simpler first maybe paint or some other pixel art program.

I am currently using Gimp to create all my graphics for stencyl. I not only make stencyl game, but I also design websites and I wanted to get something that will help me in that area as well. (paint cant really help you there) XD
Coding is Awesome.
Stencyl is Better.

irock

I started out doing pixel art in Photoshop. It's not difficult to use.

Manuel

I'm very interested on this "illistrator" tool, where can I get it? I want to check if it's as good as illustrator.

(now a serious answer: I personally can't say which one is better. Both have their purposes and they do it equally well.)
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

Hectate

I use both Inkscape and GIMP. Inkscape is great for the vector art or cartoony look (Dreaming Big used  Inkscape exclusively). GIMP does all those other things you need for image manipulation, such as pixel art (Small Squad is a personal example of that).

It all depends on the style that you're going for, and what you're comfortable using.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

1MrPaul1

I think, Photoshop for you it's better. In photoshop you can find some vector tools too (pen tool, shapes, primitives as box, circle etc). Also, you can use "smart object" tool for transformations as in illustrator and you can use this tool for pasting vector illustrator drawings. But in illustrator you will never make those things that you can make in photoshop... Other thing. Illustrator is very hard application...

brantsmith

I'm very interested on this "illistrator" tool, where can I get it? I want to check if it's as good as illustrator.

Wow, you guys are so nice XD.
Coding is Awesome.
Stencyl is Better.