photoshop vs. illistrator

Manuel

I'm very interested on this "illistrator" tool, where can I get it? I want to check if it's as good as illustrator.

Wow, you guys are so nice XD.

I was just joking innocently, I didn't write that with a bad attitude in mind. :)
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

brantsmith

I'm very interested on this "illistrator" tool, where can I get it? I want to check if it's as good as illustrator.

Wow, you guys are so nice XD.

I was just joking innocently, I didn't write that with a bad attitude in mind. :)

I know. I was just giving you a hard time. ;)
Coding is Awesome.
Stencyl is Better.

SWATLLAMA

I think that in the right hands, both can be used equally well.

Photoshop probably has more effects and is more powerful, but illustrator is cheaper. I don't think anyone really needs something like Photoshop.

Anyway, gimp forever!
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

torcado194

i use paint.net for everything. slightly less tools but very user-friendly

Lecros

If you need to create vector graphics Illustrator is really nice but you can use InkScape as well. Photoshop is great for quite a few tasks but was designed for editting photographs. I occasionally use Paint, Gimp, Paint.net and the editor in gamemaker and I'll propably use stencyl's editor as well.

robogobodo

I agree gimp is like a streamlined version of photoshop.
Check out my tutorials at www.youtube.com/finalbossgamers

Gemini

everything I make is in MS paint

Stencyl Ninja

The graphics programs that I currently use are Inkscape and GraphicsGale.
Inkscape does vector drawings, and GraphicsGale takes care of all the pixel art animations.

You will need a 3rd program to convert .gif animations unless you purchase full version of gale
but that's about the only limitation that it has. MS GIF Animator is the best I know of for that.
Of course, I'm still looking, but doubt there is any better GIF program out there for free.

And if you are a programmer, you can always add any missing feature to Inkscape, because it's
OpenSource. If you have alot of money to throw around, I'd recommend using Inkscape and paying
a programmer to add any feature that Illustrator has which you find useful that Inkscape does
not have.

As far as I can tell there's no .gif support in any of the opensource programs I've
encountered including InkScape, so that might be one advantage of Illustrator, I don't know.
I'm guessing that the commercial apps have .gif and opensource doesn't because of licensing fees.

Photics

When making graphics for games, What do you guys prefer to use? Photoshop, or illustrator?

I prefer Pixelmator over Illustrator and Photoshop for 2D game artwork...
http://photics.com/pixelmator-a-successful-alternative-to-adobe-photoshop
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

Aasimar

Hi guys,

If you want my experience, I use only Flash for vectorial design and Photoshop for pixel art, illustrator is a crap.
Flash is not a tool who's made to make graphism, but it's for me the best.

You can make your design and after animate it, it's a huge benefit.

You will see this in my GamJam project, all the game is made in Flash.

kid clementina

Illustrator is not crap at all, it's just a very specific tool. It's the best thing out there for vector art, and it's way better for text layout and graphic design than Photoshop (though not as good as InDesign, obvs, but there's a very steep learning curve there).

However, if you're not doing vector based art or simple graphic design (and you're probably not) you really have no reason to use it. If you're trying to make pixel art, specifically, you really have no reason to use it. It just doesn't do that.

As to the question at hand: I would say if you don't understand the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator, you probably shouldn't be buying either.

I would start out by trying out gimp, or pretty much any other free graphics editing software.

AdventureIslands

I personally feel Illustrator is clunky and hard to use program, highly user unfriendly and everything that is just one click away in other programs is hidden behind many windows and labels in Illustrator. So I vote for Photoshop here.

Though if I want vector graphics, I just grab my tablet and pen and do it in Flash.

drrusso

Im sorry but that is rediculous!!
Why Are you using flash to create vector graphics!!! I've been working with the CS packages professionally for many years and if you take the time to learn how to use these programmes
(properly) Youll find illustrator tops any vector illustration programme with ease!!

Alexin

I barely used Illustrator but I (want to) believe a tool of that caliber is highly tuned for its audience.

Take StencylWorks' UI and workflow as an example. Some users complain about it, but it was tuned to meet the workflow of our Alpha and Beta testers. It was made for a specific audience.
I've seen applications that simply don't make sense to me, but I'm sure it does for those who really use it.

When it comes to vector graphics I turn to Inkscape and I still can't get the hang of it - I can't adapt to its workflow. On the other hand, I feel extremely comfortable with Fireworks' vector tool (!), which wasn't designed for vector graphics only.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Aasimar

Im sorry but that is rediculous!!
Why Are you using flash to create vector graphics!!! I've been working with the CS packages professionally for many years and if you take the time to learn how to use these programmes
(properly) Youll find illustrator tops any vector illustration programme with ease!!

I'm not agree with you.
Illustrator is a crap to make video games (It's the point here), It's good to make logos, or some PAO stuff, but not to make a game.

Flash is the better way to be productive for a vector videogame.
You can design and animate in only one tool, and it can be really impressive.

You can see here my portfolio, it's only made with flash.
http://sebastienwozny.com/Portfolio_Dofus_Sebastien_Wozny.pdf

You can also look the cartoon made by my enterprise, it's 80% made with Flash and after, compositing.
http://www.ankama.com/fr/video-wakfu-serie/230262-trailer-conseil-douze-saison-2-episode-17

I'm working with illustrator too, but not for the same reason as you.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:58:11 am by Aasimar »