Is Stencyl still being developed?

vikingpotato

- The webpage says Stencyl 3.4.0 is 'Final'.
- The release post has like 5 posts from a while ago.
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,50738.0.html
- The last update as per the download page happened 6 months ago.

But the engine still has a lot instability and issues in its core functioning.
Should I expect to see any improvements anytime soon, or this the end of Development work on Stencyl?

iii

It just meant that its the Final version for Stencyl 3.4. No more 3.4 beta version.
Not the last Stencyl.

Stencyl 3.4.0 final = build 9300.
Current private Stencyl version is Stencyl 3.5 beta (build 9480), released 3 weeks ago.

You can check the progress here :
https://github.com/Stencyl/stencylpedia/blob/master/changelog.md

Donni11

The last change was July 13. Today is August 3rd. I've mentioned this a ton of times, It feel like the Stencyl company is letting us down. The roadmap is empty ( they keeping saying their going to update it, but when? Its been months since they said that), we have no clue what they are working on. Jon doesn't post us updates on what is happening. The Stencyl blog **mysteriously** disappeared. And the nightly updates situation is ridicules.  The last update in July. Why calling it a nightly update if you update once every month?  And its usually just one fix! One tiny fix, for the  update!!

If Stencyl is alive, they don't seem to be showing it.
Peace

TheIndieStation

Stencyl is still being developed. Their focus at the moment is working out bugs before adding new functions, and with the announcement that adobe will pull the plug on Flash, they are working hard at implementing a stable html5 export function.

vikingpotato

Html5 could be a priority for the educator audience, but mobile now is the primary means of making economically viable games with Stencyl.
With the current issues in Stencyl, it is often impossible to make mobile builds! The same behaviour leads to different outputs(!?).. mobile builds sometimes just *stop* working, no reason, no solution! Shouldn't the critical issues be top priority for a commercial product running for years!?
 I have a sunken cost relationship with stencyl, but if the people running the product have moved on to better things, we could use that information!

ChristianEs

if Stencyl dies, how im going to be able to update my games?

Jon

Stencyl is still being developed. Their focus at the moment is working out bugs before adding new functions, and with the announcement that adobe will pull the plug on Flash, they are working hard at implementing a stable html5 export function.

Stencyl 3.5 is our focus, and as we've said before, Stencyl is still actively in development. As others have already said, 3.5 folds in a huge underlying technology upgrade that brings in proper HTML5 support and modernizes the graphics pipeline for mobile and desktop.

Unfortunately, as with any major "pipes" upgrade, it comes with issues that have proven to be a bit trickier to work on than we anticipated. We plan to put 3.5 out this fall.

(I'll note that I've cleaned out a couple messages that were inappropriate to this topic, and I ask that that info not be shared or mentioned again, as it's strictly confidential.)

vikingpotato

Current private Stencyl version is Stencyl 3.5 beta (build 9480), released 3 weeks ago.
You can check the progress here :
https://github.com/Stencyl/stencylpedia/blob/master/changelog.md

Is there a way for developers to download the 3.5 beta build? Maybe that version is more reliable.. (Or any build more current than http://www.stencyl.com/download)
Does one need to own a current subscription to access that?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:48:39 am by vikingpotato »

Luyren

Is there a way for developers to download the 3.5 beta build? [...]
Does one need to own a current subscription to access that?
Indie and Studio subscribers have early access to the latest releases.
Working.

rob1221

While there are a bunch of bugs fixed I wouldn't say the current 3.5 version is more reliable than 3.4 right now.  A major update to OpenFL causes a bunch of issues, and I'm sure not all of them have been found yet.

vikingpotato

Okay, thanks. I will renew my subscription in case my game file gets revived from the unexpected death.

twotimingpete

I'm really excited about 3.5. The benefits and possibilities are already evident in my project.

JeffreyDriver

What sort of cool things can we look forward to in 3.5?
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Donni11

@Jon, this is great and all, but why isn't it on a roadmap?
Everytime Stencyl users get worried we post and ask if Stencyl is still alive. That shouldn't even happen to begin with.
Stencyl really needs a software roadmap on the site, that is frequently updated,  so that paying customers always know what Stencyl is up too.
Peace

colburt187

Html5 could be a priority for the educator audience, but mobile now is the primary means of making economically viable games with Stencyl.
With the current issues in Stencyl, it is often impossible to make mobile builds! The same behaviour leads to different outputs(!?).. mobile builds sometimes just *stop* working, no reason, no solution! Shouldn't the critical issues be top priority for a commercial product running for years!?
 I have a sunken cost relationship with stencyl, but if the people running the product have moved on to better things, we could use that information!

What sort of issues are you having? I'm mainly focusing on iOS but I have been pleasantly surprised how stable and issue free my experience has been over the last 3-4 years. Also with the introduction of advert mediation and things like ReplayKit mobile on stencyl is in the best place it's ever been.