Is Stencyl still being developed?

Donni11

@Jon, this is great and all, but why isn't it on a roadmap?
Everytime Stencyl users get worried we post and ask if Stencyl is still alive. That shouldn't even happen to begin with.
Stencyl really needs a software roadmap on the site, that is frequently updated,  so that paying customers always know what Stencyl is up too.
Peace

colburt187

Html5 could be a priority for the educator audience, but mobile now is the primary means of making economically viable games with Stencyl.
With the current issues in Stencyl, it is often impossible to make mobile builds! The same behaviour leads to different outputs(!?).. mobile builds sometimes just *stop* working, no reason, no solution! Shouldn't the critical issues be top priority for a commercial product running for years!?
 I have a sunken cost relationship with stencyl, but if the people running the product have moved on to better things, we could use that information!

What sort of issues are you having? I'm mainly focusing on iOS but I have been pleasantly surprised how stable and issue free my experience has been over the last 3-4 years. Also with the introduction of advert mediation and things like ReplayKit mobile on stencyl is in the best place it's ever been.

TheIndieStation

Html5 could be a priority for the educator audience, but mobile now is the primary means of making economically viable games with Stencyl.
With the current issues in Stencyl, it is often impossible to make mobile builds! The same behaviour leads to different outputs(!?).. mobile builds sometimes just *stop* working, no reason, no solution! Shouldn't the critical issues be top priority for a commercial product running for years!?
 I have a sunken cost relationship with stencyl, but if the people running the product have moved on to better things, we could use that information!

What sort of issues are you having? I'm mainly focusing on iOS but I have been pleasantly surprised how stable and issue free my experience has been over the last 3-4 years. Also with the introduction of advert mediation and things like ReplayKit mobile on stencyl is in the best place it's ever been.

I agree with Colburt. During my time with Stencyl I have never ever had an instable version. I have been developing for lretty much every platform with all sorts of extensions.

vikingpotato

I didn't want to bring up my project bugs here and deviate from the topic. It is in this post, if you can help
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,52002.0.html

Tuo

I will add my voice to this post. When I returned a little less than a month ago, my first impression was that Stencyl was indeed basically "dead" and that there wasn't anything major new in the works (I could see the few bug fixes that have happened since 3.4, but I did do some digging to find those). If my eyes, which are a fresh perspective, thought Stencyl was dead, then that means there are many more who are seeing it.

Furthermore, Jon to you particularly, people thinking Stencyl is dead is a huge ax to potential new clients. If I was a new person instead of being around since nearly the start, I would have turned to a different program. Actually, before seeing you did at least post here, I was actually seriously considering flipping (especially as Unreal, Unity, AND GameMaker have all recently come up in HumbleBundle for dirt cheap).

SUGGESTIONS:
1. Change the name of 3.4 from "Final" to something else (i.e. "Stable") as "Final" was one of the biggest reasons I thought the development was "final" too.
2. As everyone else here (that I read) has suggested, post some sort of "road map" so that we know there ARE plans for the future that are clearly stated.
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

LIBERADO

I totally agree with Tuo.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

squeeb

3.5 maybe out in the fall!  I'm getting excited!
I had no idea.. I +1 the road map

merrak

My own thoughts... First, I think the Stencyl team should be commended for the Facebook page and efforts with the Twitter hashtag #madeinstencyl. These are positive developments that can add a lot to the community.

But the fact that people come in asking if Stencyl is dead does suggest there is still a problem. For years I sat on the faculty senate at my university, helping faculty and administration communicate with each other. One thing I learned was just how far a few words from the powers that be go to boost morale. I don't think it would take much to reverse some of the negative perceptions that have been arising lately.

My suggestions for what they're worth--

1. Someone from the Stencyl higher-ups should post a regular news update (Stencyl blog, Facebook post, forum post, etc.). I think consistency is more important than frequency. Once a week, once every other week--heck, even just once a month might do it just as long as it's consistent and from someone on the team. A few short words about what's in the works and how things are progressing will demonstrate the software and community are still alive. Someone should be around to answer questions, though--but that can also be the community at large.

2. A long-term roadmap that extends at least a year. It can be a living document--and I think readers should even expect it to change over time. But a subscription period is a year, so a one-year roadmap will show potential new subscribers what to expect when they join the club.

Majora64

1. Modernize/Update the site!!! Has this been at least talked about?
2. More social media presence. It's good you guys are on twitter but there needs to be more impact and priority in bringing in more users.
3. Roadmap
4. Communication! Talk to us once in awhile. Keep us in the loop!

Out of curiosity do a good amount of people work for Stencyl to make these things happen in a timely manner? I understand you are trying to prioritize stability, but I also feel like having a presence is important as well for longevity. Just my .2

Donni11

So Jon, where is this roadmap that all the Stencyl users are asking for?
Peace

Jon

The Roadmap was added to the site last week.

Donni11

This is great! Thank you! Stencyl is alive!
Again, Looks great!
Peace