JensWinterstein

Used 4AYNFXJMP9JK.
Less talk more play :))

Thanks.
Get 100 Chambers for Android / iOS
Get Cubus Velox for Android / iOS or play it on Flash

- Portfolio

ChunkyMonkey

Got around to playing it, Great job! Certainly worth at least 99 cents.

Rob

Congrats here also. I even heard good reviews of this game on other gamemaker forum. Load times is very key for any mobile games. You have picked the right tool to do the job. And I also see you put in a lot of effort to market the game.

Now what's the next game you have up your sleeves?
GOLDEN RULE #1 : SAVE YOUR GAMES FREQUENTLY
IOS/XCODE DEBUGGING
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/xcode-ios-troubleshoot/
WATCH STENCYLWORKS VIDEO TUTORIAL BY SUNRISEKINGDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfRfjzr9j4&feature=channel_video_title

8bitwit

Now what's the next game you have up your sleeves?

I have a few things I'm working on, including a platform and another physics based game, but right now FMZ is my main focus. I have 30 new levels almost complete for later this month/early January, plus a Valentine themed level pack planned for February, and a Spring pack for March.

I'm also still on the fence about the Holiday Game Jam. I may through something together. If I do that will be the first new thing I announce!

h1rnz1lla

hey just bought your game.

+ gratulations for the high level of polish.
+ really nice physics and easy controls.

two things i like to see in an update would be:
- a more polished background gfx and
- fixing of the the chain slider
which worked but had a lot of bugs, where the chain visually broke after the second ring from the top, but still was connected to the rest of the rings!

this app really rises the standard of what is possible with istencyl, well done!

8bitwit

hey just bought your game.

+ gratulations for the high level of polish.
+ really nice physics and easy controls.

two things i like to see in an update would be:
- a more polished background gfx and
- fixing of the the chain slider
which worked but had a lot of bugs, where the chain visually broke after the second ring from the top, but still was connected to the rest of the rings!

this app really rises the standard of what is possible with istencyl, well done!

First off, thanks for the kind words!

Each new level pack will introduce a new background to go with the theme of that level pack. Right now iStencyl doesn't support repeated backgrounds so it tends to look a bit wonky when the level is bigger than the screen bounds (the image is static while the level pans). I made the background so that it would look seamless when it's repeated, and it does that in the flash version I'm working on, giving a much nicer look to the level itself.

From what I've learned lurking around cocos2d and box2d forums, the separation you see is really from the limitations of the box2d distance joints (or stick joints as they're referred to in Stencyl). Distance joints are not completely rigid, they're meant to keep two actors at a minimum distance, but not a maximum. Different weights of the actors combined with different forces of gravity can sometimes have very odd effects on them. I tried to adjust everything so that it did the minimal amount of stretching, but I would like to see the added support of box2d rope joints in the future (b2RopeJoint). It behaves in a similar manner to a distance joint, but keeps the two actors at a maximum distance, recreating the behavior of a non-stretchable rope.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:39:09 pm by 8bitwit »

Jon

Are there tradeoffs with using rope joints as opposed to distance joints? Is it safe to make it a safe drop in, no questions asked?

8bitwit

Are there tradeoffs with using rope joints as opposed to distance joints? Is it safe to make it a safe drop in, no questions asked?

From what I understand, you lose the damping ratio and frequency options with a rope joint but (straight from the box2d manual) the rope joint restricts the maximum distance between two points, whereas distance joints set a minimum distance. This can be useful to prevent chains of bodies from stretching, even under high load...

It's a bit beyond me to say whether or not it would work with Stencyl's version of box2d.

rlc2405

Hello 8bitwit,
My is 7YFFXYFTXM7W!

This game seems to be amazing!

Great great great job!

Jon

From what I understand, you lose the damping ratio and frequency options with a rope joint but (straight from the box2d manual) the rope joint restricts the maximum distance between two points, whereas distance joints set a minimum distance. This can be useful to prevent chains of bodies from stretching, even under high load...

It's a bit beyond me to say whether or not it would work with Stencyl's version of box2d.

Hmm, I'll have to mull over it and see whether the rope joint matches the common use case better than the stick joint.

8bitwit

Hmm, I'll have to mull over it and see whether the rope joint matches the common use case better than the stick joint.

I think it will work well in my case. I'd like to see it in addition to stick joints. It's funny, I thought I had posted a suggestion for different joint types in the suggestion forums weeks ago that fell on deaf ears, but now I realize that I must have gone through the trouble of typing it up but not posting it for whatever reason. HAHA, oops!

chaosoul

Used PJPTPJHFTL4E. Thanks alot. Seems impressive from what I've tried. I really hope you differentiate the game from cut the rope more in the future. Looking forward to what you do next!
Edit: Redid it from start and here is my analysis/review: If you move your finger quick it will sometimes pass by. The actor pinned onto the finger is kinda slow and thats what causes it. When using multitouch it lags a little. Also with the movable chain its really buggy. Sometimes it gets stuck. Also you can move the pinned chain part around as if the whole map was the movable space for it. I'll upload screenies tomorrow.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:24:11 pm by chaosoul »
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

8bitwit

Used PJPTPJHFTL4E. Thanks alot. Seems impressive from what I've tried. I really hope you differentiate the game from cut the rope more in the future. Looking forward to what you do next!

Thank you. That's the plan right now, to get further away from Cut the Rope and try to make it stand on it's own as a unique yet similar experience.

Redid it from start and here is my analysis/review: If you move your finger quick it will sometimes pass by. The actor pinned onto the finger is kinda slow and thats what causes it. When using multitouch it lags a little. Also with the movable chain its really buggy. Sometimes it gets stuck. Also you can move the pinned chain part around as if the whole map was the movable space for it. I'll upload screenies tomorrow.

Those issues are being addressed in the first update which I'll be submitting to Apple once iTunes connect is back from the holidays.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:27:33 pm by 8bitwit »

Hello and congratulations on the game.

I would like to ask what made you opt for Stencyl over GameSalad, Corona or Cocos2D?

Thanks

Tom

zerosimms

Amazing work 8bitwit!!