Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Paper Pirates vs Vikings Brawl Released

squeeb

GOOGLE PLAY
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fpp.paperpirates&hl=en
AMAZON
https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Pirates-vs-Vikings-Brawl/dp/B076F131QL/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1508625688&sr=1-1
IOS
COMING SOON
Android release out now.  Ios will be released in a few months. 
Any feedback would be amazing.  I handled 99 percent of testing haha.  Please let me know of any bugs or issues, as well as what i can do to improve the game.. I will be releasing regular updates with content.

Paper Pirates vs Vikings Brawl is a beat em up arcade style game. The Paper Pirate captain needs your help in the defense of his treasure. This is the initial release with more updates to come in the near future. Challenge your friends to see who can last the longest defending your bounty. Don't let the vikings take it all!

Level 1- Boarded!
The Vikings are attacking your ship. defend your treasure chest from being pillaged! Beat and bash em up, Defeat the vikings that have boarded your ship from stealing your treasure chest

MORE TO COME
Level 2- Captains Quarters Boss Fight!

HOW TO PLAY
joystick is on the left, tap the top right half of screen to shoot, tap the bottom right half of the screen to pick up, punch, and empty your treasure bag into your treasure chest
Punch and beat up the enemies to take back your treasure. Shoot your musket and destroy these paper fiends.
Grab torches and set the Vikings on fire
collect keys to unlock brown chests to get upgrades to your pirate. tap the brown chest to unlock a powerup
STAMINA- reduces amount of taps to get up and raises your defenses
BAG- lets you carry more jewels and helps when getting hit by enemies
AMMO- bag lets you carry another musket and fills your ammo
SPEED- makes your character faster
ATTACK- hit harder.. the enemies get tougher as the level goes on

Future Updates
More levels and styles of gameplay for individual levels.
daily and weekly event
challenge your friends

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 03:43:35 pm by squeeb »

YobApp

Congrats bro I liiike it , All the best ;)

decafpanda

Trying to get into this but I die for no reason a lot.

I have gems and there is still time on the clock.  I don't know why I get a game over.

Very nice art but I don't understand the reason why I get a game over most of the time.

squeeb

Trying to get into this but I die for no reason a lot.

I have gems and there is still time on the clock.  I don't know why I get a game over.

Very nice art but I don't understand the reason why I get a game over most of the time.

thank you.. i hand drew the graphics and animated them.. first time animating full characters...
i need to make a better how to play... the bag in the top left of the corner is your life bar.. if you get hit while your bag is empty.. you get knocked out .. if the chest or bag is empty ... the vikings steal the chest.. when the chest gets into the captains quarters.. far right of scene, the level is over and will go into the boss fight in the captains quarters

any suggestions on any part of my game is welcomed!  i really want to make a fun game 1st and foremost.

decafpanda

I never had the boss fight trigger when the chest reaches the far right.  The game just ends for me.  Maybe I did not have any gems?

Anyway here are some things that I think could improve the game that could be implemented fairly easily.

-Pause the game when using keys.  This is an easy one that will really increase the enjoyment IMO.  Sure, there might be some strategy in using a key while enemies are coming but I feel like the game would be more enjoyable if I could upgrade my pirate without being rushed.

-The round should only end if the timer runs out or if the chest reaches the Captain's Quarters.  Unless there is a bug, I have gotten  many game overs while I had gems, the chest was in play, and I had time.  Is that what you meant by getting "knocked out"?  Game over if you get hit with no gems?  I really think things would be more fun if you limit the ways a game over occurs.

-Auto collect on everything.  I would completely eliminate the animation of him bending down and picking things up and also putting the bag in the chest.  This would speed up game-play and actually simplify your hero's code.  A lot of times while defending the chest, my hero keeps placing the bag in the chest while I am trying to fight.  Just make everything auto collect and make it so your bag auto deposits the gems when you get close to the chest.

-Time power ups should not be based on RNG.  There have been a few rounds where no time power ups spawned for me and the round ended really fast.  This could be and easy death event the spawned a time power up every 5 kills or something.

- No duplicate buffs when a key is used.  I like the idea of RNG behind using a key but there should be some checks in place so you do not see duplicate buff to choose. (like 2 movement speed buffs)

-Kill All-  This is a big one that will make the game way better IMO.  having a kill all button somewhere (or maybe swipe?) that used up 5 keys that cleared all the enemies would be awesome and really prolong the rounds.  Plus people would burn through keys faster and would promote the reward video ($$$)  This would be easy to code but you would have to do some kind of art to sell the explosion. (Maybe a rain of cannon balls with some nice screen shake?)

-Buff movement speed upgrades

-Nerf the hell out of the knockdown.  Sometimes you get knocked down and can't get back up.  This would be a perfect time to use a kill all!  Nerfing the knockdown would make the game more enjoyable.  Also putting a timer check on the knockdown sound effect would be great too.  Sometimes it loops over and over fast and sounds almost like a glitch.

-This one would be pain to do but I really would love to have a sword with more reach!  The simple punch animation has very low reach, I think a sword would make the game more fun and appropriate for a pirate.  Probably a big pain in the ass to add one though.  It would take time to implement but would be worth it.

That's all I got!  Gonna go play some more and see if I can get to this boss fight :)

squeeb

Wow!  I really appreciate all the insights..thats what I needed.. since I'm only one testing  it haha.  Friends have played real quick.. but they had no idea how I can make the game better. Just said something is off.. I'm at work now.. so I'll respond more in the morning and I wanted to tell you the boss fight will be in an update soon

squeeb

new update. i added;
Cannon ball attack
Pause the game when using keys
Auto collect on everything
Nerf the hell out of the knockdown, seems to be better now

Ill fix the duplicate items in chest with the next update and the boss fight as well

This one would be pain to do but I really would love to have a sword with more reach
I have this done from before i released the game, i am adding a monkey pirate with the sword and no gun, after i draw and animate it ;)

decafpanda

Had a play and the game definitely feels better!  Though a couple of bugs may have come about due to some changes.  After using a key on one occasion the enemies on screen glitched out and went to the top of the screen.  They still could damage me and knock me down but I was unable to hit them.

I Don't know what could have caused this.

The auto pick up is really nice, same with the auto deposit.

The kill all works great and looks really good too!  I burned through my keys way quicker.  This definitely will promote the reward video.

One more suggestion.  If you add a sword it will make the game much easier along with the previous update.  It might be a good idea to increase the enemy speed as time goes on, along with their health.

Just to balance the difficulty.

Good job Squeeb!  I like this game

squeeb

Wow! Is the art style inspired by Paper Mario?
Actually i had the idea for the paper characters... then made the paper turn effect and thought.. of man.. thats kinda like paper mario :p
Had a play and the game definitely feels better!  Though a couple of bugs may have come about due to some changes.  After using a key on one occasion the enemies on screen glitched out and went to the top of the screen.  They still could damage me and knock me down but I was unable to hit them.

I Don't know what could have caused this.

The auto pick up is really nice, same with the auto deposit.

The kill all works great and looks really good too!  I burned through my keys way quicker.  This definitely will promote the reward video.

One more suggestion.  If you add a sword it will make the game much easier along with the previous update.  It might be a good idea to increase the enemy speed as time goes on, along with their health.

Just to balance the difficulty.

Good job Squeeb!  I like this game

thank you!   im not sure what causes that issue.. it happened when i made the pause button...i think.. haha... and then came back really bad when i made the choosing of power ups pause.. i thought i fixed it!!  hmm.. i have an idea.. i think i create the enemy at x0 y0 then in when created event in viking i set the random area left or right side.. maybe ill try that a different way.
I agree with the speed... they need to get faster as the level goes on.  ill add that as well with the new update.
Thank you so much for the input!