Has my game become to ambitious for my computer?

NerdinaNutshell

I’ve recently been working on a game with a doodled/hand drawn art style, as such the size of sprites are pretty big (main character is 225 x 532 and tiles are 96x96). Aside from the stress of developing a game, I’ve been really scared that my computer may not be powerful enough to continue developing on it (I’m using a MacBook Air). My computer - while working on the project- will heat up and the fan is pretty loud. Does anyone else think I may need to invest in a new computer sometime soon if I want to continue? Thanks.
Plot Twist... I'm a ghost

Bombini

It depends on a lot factors:
  • How many actors and how many behaviours?
  • Are those behaviours omptimized for performance?
  • Are you using Box2d or SimplePhysics?
  • Are you drawing a lot?
...and much more.
I would say you can do some very complex stuff but you will have to invest in optimizing performance.
Also...are you using your Macbook plugged in or not? How are the energy setings and so on.
Cheers!

merrak

(main character is 225 x 532 and tiles are 96x96).

These are not large numbers. I suspect you may have an optimization issue if the problem is your game at all. (If you haven't yet, check for any runaway background processes that are running your CPU up)

If you're convinced the problem is your game then the next step would be to use a code profiling tool (like hxScout) to work out where the bottleneck is. If you don't have a lot of behaviors, you may also be able to find the culprit using trial and error.

Bombini

If you're convinced the problem is your game then the next step would be to use a code profiling tool (like hxScout) to work out where the bottleneck is.

Hi merrak,
maybe this is a bit too offtopic but do you have some high level learnings from using tools like hxScout? Like the top3 things to check which are most important?
Cheers!