Crossbar Kevin

johnjanowskibsc

During the week I came up with the idea of a simple crossbar challenge game. Not wishing to follow the other crossbar games out there, I thought I would put something together where there is a young lad (Kevin) who is practicing in the garden with his super competitive dad watching,

It uses the simple behaviour of a rotating arrow which I used in Blob Ball but I'm developing a powerbar too. If I get the time I will experiment a little with the way you fire a ball in the app Ball King.

To try and make it original and not too samey - if dads pride goes through the roof, you have to start trying to hit the crossbar with other objects such as; the cat, a rugby ball,  your sisters favourite doll, mum's frying pan. If you displease dad with your awful attempts he will start delivering some cutting remarks. Will try to create a trampoline level too where the ball has to hit in order to bounce onto the cross bar. Also dad will move the cross bar further away and see if you can kick it over obstacles such as his favourite tree, or his best mate Long John.

The scoring system will be on attempts. My initial aim is to make 20 levels.

Here is a screenshot of the prototype I put together this morning. I did all the rubbish art work myself! I've already got a simple prototype working in stencyl and hope to get a work in progress out by the end of the month. Let me know what you think

johnjanowskibsc

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/40246

Managed to find some time to do a little bit of work on this. I have uploaded a prototype of a simple version of the first level - just playing around with making it work. Since my initial idea I've been able to make the ball appear to look like its being kicked towards the crossbar. When it hits the crossbar (I've used a region to detect the collision for this - I will probably use a sensor when I split up the crossbar image - this is on the to do list!) it shows 1 of 6 random speech bubbles to show approval plus a GIF image of HIT which flashes up for a few seconds then disappears. I'm fairly happy with the way it is working at the moment. Just of the top of my head is my to do list...
  • The ball. The collision shape is circular but I've not drawn it completely circular. I'll have to redraw this
  • The shoot/aim button. I've tried to work out a way of firing on pressing this button but want to avoid it firing again in mid flight. I've noticed that although the shoot/aim button is hidden when the ball is in the air - you are still able to press it. Any ideas for how to overcome this would be great
    • I now need to work out a way of showing a speech bubble showing dad's contempt if he doesn't hit the crossbar. I thought about using a boolean for this
    • The ball (again)! When it goes off screen it automatically is killed - I don't want this! I'd like it come back to earth.

The next step when I have completed the above is to make a few longer levels, with some obstacles for Kevin. I will probably make a trampoline level first with a bouncy sister that you have to avoid to hit the crossbar. For this I will try to make the camera follow the ball - avoiding the ball going off screen issue as above.

Any advice or feedback for any of what you have seen or read would be great!

Cheers

John

JeffreyDriver

I like the way you're going with this.
1. Hits do not always register.
2. To prevent the button being pressed midflight use a boolean. Call it something like 'Hidden?' and set it to false when the button is hidden. Ensure that your fire code will only run when Hidden? = false.
3. Needs more levels with more challenge.
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

johnjanowskibsc

Nice one thanks Jeffrey - I'll have a go at creating a boolean called hidden.
I noticed that too with the hits. Not sure why this isn't working. I'll go about splitting the crossbar from the post and making it a sensor.
Agree with the challenge aspect. More levels are in the pipeline - hopefully get a few levels created in the next couple of weeks!

John

johnjanowskibsc

So since last night I've managed to fix the following bugs

• The aim/shoot button now doesn't push the ball when it isn't hidden
  • I've split the crossbar from the post and I fixed the issue that the hits wasn't going up by a collision of type of type rather than colliding with a specific actor

Before I make more levels I need to work out a way of making the dad cuss his son when his shot doesn't hit the crossbar. The way I will start to tackle this is by using the attempts and crossbar hits attributes. My current thinking is if the attempts goes up but crossbar hits stays the same then show a speech bubble relating to a miss. Wish me luck!

johnjanowskibsc

Dad is now cursing his son..onto adding increased difficulty.

JeffreyDriver

Hit detection is fixed. Yay!

You might want to offer some way of measuring your dad's pride over just using the text 'content', 'average' etc. Maybe with a bar, or tinting the text from red to green?

There's no indication of what the winning conditions are.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

johnjanowskibsc

So I'm back at work now so the progress of this game will most likely slow down.

Now I've got the basic mechanics working I'm going to build up levels and shrink down the characters, as ideally this is going to be a mobile game. I've done an initial level 2 - starting to put in objects for the user to overcome. I've got the camera to follow the ball as the levels will vary in length too.

Here is level 2

johnjanowskibsc

So I'm about 80% happy with how level 2 works.
I've scaled down most parts so it works on mobile. I added clouds as when you hit a sky shot you had a sense of perspective and velocity of the ball.
I've added an obstacle to increase the difficulty
I've decided to place dad next to the goal post so when the crossbar shot is pulled off the camera doesn't need to travel anywhere, he can deliver his comment from his position and the "HIT" sign is centred above both characters.

Issues
Still not happy with the ball. Now it is still behaving like an egg regardless of the collision shape
When you don't hit the crossbar I want the camera to pan to dad - he tells you off - then it pans back to starting position. It is jumping between characters with no smooth transition - I've tried a few things that haven't come off. I tried playing around with zooming but I feel this is a step to far for me thus far.
Finally, if you hit it sweetly enough with a bounce, it rests on top of the crossbar - counting about 5+ hits in one. I'll either created a boolean to handle this or change the cross bar collision shape to be pointy so the ball can't rest on top of it.

johnjanowskibsc

Menu page is done - not all connected yet
I've worked on 5 levels - added in new characters - bouncy Brenda (sister), goalie bro, and dad's mate long John. I should finish the other 5 by the end of the week at this rate.

Went to work on a few issues - I created a rounder ball but still had the same problem. I'll use the original ball but place it closer to the character so the egg spin doesn't happen on start.
When the ball goes off scene I've made it black out then refresh the scene - works better.
I've redrawn the collision shape for the crossbar - works a bit better but still buggy.

I thought I would be clever and start all the prep work for iOS app as considering my previous experience, I always get frustrated at the end jumping through hoops - and banging my head against a brick wall. I got most of what I wanted to achieve done - but Stencyl is throwing up errors when I try to publish to iOS. I'll have another go when I feel fresher!

johnjanowskibsc

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/40246

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXTRVUOn6s4

Here is my current progress.

I've been bogged down a little with resizing issues going from a flash build to making it into an app. I've learned that it is easier to extend the width of a scene and keep it in FullScreen mode. Previously I had scaled Blob Ball to iPhone only and previously using letterbox scale to fit.

This morning I've worked on placing objects within a scene using the code blocks attached. It was a bit fiddly - working with different device sizes in iOS but I got there.

My current regret is pushing ahead with making 5 levels - now I need to make tweaks to each one. Would have been easier to make sure 1 was perfect before moving on.

I have a big to do list so will get cracking!

johnjanowskibsc

The to do list is now getting a bit shorter.

I'm closer to finishing. I've just been putting some finishing touches to the time trial game by making characters appear randomly to give it that element of challenge. Next step is to make them appear in random positions and to not have the same character appear twice in a row.

I'm apprehensive in making a further 5 levels in the challenge game until I have fully tested the current 5. But as Del Boy says..."He who dares!"

I've updated what I've done currently in Stencyl - just use the links above. I'm keeping track of bugs and things that are not consistent. Let me know any thoughts or feedback. By the weekend I will post up a TestFlight link.

JeffreyDriver

I like the progress you've made.

1. You can hit the crossbar from behind and still get a hit. Is that intentional?
2. Punting my sister off screen made me laugh more than it should have.
3. On levels which start with a pan I sometimes accidentally clicked the aim button which set my aim even though I couldn't see it.  I think you should only be able to set your aim once the camera has finished panning.  Clicking before should make the camera pan faster.
4. The graphics feel a little inconsistent. I think it's the different pixel sizes.
5. A ghost arrow of my previous attempt might be useful.
6. On time trial it counts down and then starts counting up. (probably still counting down but the - isn't showing.)
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

johnjanowskibsc

Glad you found punting the sister as funny as I did!
I’ve been thinking about changing the collision shape for the CB and will amend this.
In the time trial I set the aim button to appear after the countdown. I will do the same once the camera has panned.
Which graphics look a little inconsistent? I
Great idea for a ghost arrow. - I’ve got a list of things to do and this will go somewhere near the top.
I had to create the time trial score scene before addressing the timer getting to zero. I’ll fix this tonight.

Thanks for all the feedback

JeffreyDriver

Which graphics look a little inconsistent?

The grass, trees, clouds seem a little clunky compared to the rest of the graphics. Also, some outlines for actors seem thicker/blurrier than others.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk