One of my Scenes stopped working!

CTWitt

Hi all. I started using and learning about Stencyl a few weeks ago, so I'm no expert. Recently a scene I had been working on stopped allowing me to view and/or edit it. It had been working fine the last time I was editing it, but the next time I tried to open the scene an error box came up requesting I create a log, and I haven't been able to open the scene since. (technically the log I attached isn't the first one that was created, but I thought it would be best to share the most current one if there was any difference.) I don't have many scenes at this point, but the rest of them are still able to open like normal. Any suggestions?

JeffreyDriver

I saw this is the logs:
Code: [Select]
2019-03-19 12:33:30,837 ERROR [pool-1-thread-1] stencyl.core.lib.io.read.SceneReader: Actor "Camera Actor 7" does not refrence an Actor Type: id = 11
2019-03-19 12:33:30,837 ERROR [pool-1-thread-1] stencyl.core.lib.io.read.SceneReader: Could not load actor. Likely an Actor Type that no longer exists.

Looks like you're referring to an actor that doesn't exist.
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

CTWitt

Yeah, I saw someone mention that concept in another thread about a similar problem. I opened up the XML file for the scene and took out the line that directly mentioned the actor type, but despite the alteration I still haven't been able to open the scene up. What all does one do to remove code that references a non-existent actor without messing something else up?

corbanwolf

Can you duplicate the scene and open the duplicated one?

CTWitt

No, it still brought up the same error box and wouldn't open.

JeffreyDriver

I'm not 100% sure what's causing you to suddenly be unable to open a scene. How much hassle is it to recreate the scene? Can you open the duplicate the scene if you remove the code from it?
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

CTWitt

In this case it shouldn't be that big of a hassle. I'm more focused setting up actor behaviors, events, etc. than level/scene design at this point. I am pretty sure the actor no longer existing had something to do with it, so if nothing else I'll make sure to be more careful about deleting/removing actor types in the future.

CTWitt

Hi. Unfortunately another scene I was working on has stopped letting me open it.   ::) I've attached the error log. I don't think I removed any actor types from the game that were still in the scene this time, so I could use some help figuring out what the problem might be.

FMStudioGameDev

It seems to be the same issue I have reported here http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?issue=1518.0
Still waiting for somebody to look into it because working with Stencyl has become too much unreliable for me.

rob1221

Does this error only happen with the new options to move an actor within a layer?

iii

Happens to me too. Twice in the past 2 weeks.

Code: [Select]
2019-03-26 02:55:14,474 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] root: Unexpected problem on thread AWT-EventQueue-0: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 7, Size: 0
The latest one, 2 days of massive work down the drain.
Should have export the game and "save as" every 15 minutes......

Electric Fruit

Also getting a similar "java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException" error. Has happened numerous times since I upgraded to 4.0 and beyond.

It has happened both in a blank game started in b10300 and in a game started in an earlier build and opened in b10300. I would be happy to give further details if needed but I'm pretty much experiencing the same thing FMStudioGameDev has put in the issue tracker.

I used to occasionally get this error in older builds when I was duplicating a large scene or importing a lot of images but the frequency and severity of the error (i've never lost access to whole scenes before) seems to have increased in recent builds.

FMStudioGameDev

Does this error only happen with the new options to move an actor within a layer?
I guess it started after the new options have been implemented (I am able to open the scenes in b10259) but happens even if you don't do anything with layers. Last time it occurred I had simply removed an actor and placed another one.

rob1221

This error is avoided in b10318 by constraining the index to the length of the array and providing a warning in the logs when that happens.  This may result in a different order of actors within the same layer, although I haven't seen that in testing.  A more proper fix can be done at a later time.

FMStudioGameDev

This error is avoided in b10318 by constraining the index to the length of the array and providing a warning in the logs when that happens.  This may result in a different order of actors within the same layer, although I haven't seen that in testing.  A more proper fix can be done at a later time.

I can confirm that I am now able to open the "corrupted" scenes. Also I do not see any particular issue with actors and layers.
Thanks rob.