Crayon Drawing

Justin

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/11211

Draw with mouse. Change color with number keys 1 through 8.

Looking for feedback. How does the crayon drawing feel? Does it actually seem "crayon"-like? One concern I have is that it's too much like an airbrush...

Just ignore the HUD stuff at the bottom. Or you can use it to clear the current drawing.

All demos:
Demo 1: Drawing
Demo 2: Runtime Scene Drawing With Paths

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:22:39 am by Justin »

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

rob1221

That's pretty neat, and it does look like crayon drawing to me.

Alexin

It feels like a crayon in general, but some colors (yellow) look a bit like an airbrush yes. I suppose the edges need to be crispier.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Miasmos Games

Very neat! I agree with Alexin though. Are we likely to see it as a downloadable Stencyl project any time soon?

Cupcake Bounce

malospam

Visit Reddit's Stencyl page and contribute to spread the word about this amazing program!
http://www.reddit.com/r/stencyl

Justin

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's an idea of where I'm going with this... http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/11260

Quote from: Miasmos Games
Very neat! I agree with Alexin though. Are we likely to see it as a downloadable Stencyl project any time soon?
There are a few more things I want to add to this first, but eventually I'm planning on sharing everything.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:24:38 am by Justin »

Jon

Pretty slick. Are you drawing continually to a single actor? I've seen a bunch of botched attempts in the past to implement drawing using 1 actor per "stroke" which can add up very quickly and make the games laggy.

Justin

I'm drawing point by point to a screen-sized BitmapData. Just drawing the Bitmap to the screen every frame brings the FPS down to 50 for me, and I can't draw too many things at once, but the overall amount that's drawn won't matter.

Alexin

I thought you were using a Shape and drawing its Graphics. Then you could Flash's strokes, if they're available that is.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Justin

I created my own Path class for this. I wasn't sure if there was some way to retrieve a single point at a time from each line or curve in a Flash Shape. I guess it's not perfect though. I see two or three points randomly draw at the top left of the screen instead of where they're supposed to.