Stencyl 2.1 - (Released May 25th)

kid clementina

I'm very excited for a better scene designer, but frankly most of those things don't excite me, other than cut and paste - and to see that it might not even be implemented is disappointing.

In general I'd just like building levels to be quicker and less tedious. 

So cut and paste for a start,
But also a way of navigating through actors by their folder (right now I have hundreds of actors, and it takes way to long to find what I need).
And importable/exportable tilemaps would be excellent. It would solve a number of time consuming issues I've come up against (like having to tediously rebuild entire levels from scratch because they're at the wrong tile size or resolution), but would also mean that we could work on tilemaps on mobile platforms and import them - there are many iPad (and other) tile mapping programs out there. Would love to be able to build my tilemaps on the subway, or just generally not have to lug the laptop everywhere when I want to work on things.
A last thing, that I'm not sure you've fixed yet is that the "screen bounds" button could use some tweaking. Perhaps the ability to set the box size manually would work better - manual settings would be nice for the grid button as well. 

Those things would help my productivity and workflow immeasurably.

Xietao

Before create  scene (Write name, height..) you can select two modes "Blank and With Gravity" "Gravity Mode: Start with 85 down gravity" With this a can save a lot of time, at now with this can save 2 hours (about)
Free Time:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 13h
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: 7h
Loving Linux...

Jon

Before create  scene (Write name, height..) you can select two modes "Blank and With Gravity" "Gravity Mode: Start with 85 down gravity" With this a can save a lot of time, at now with this can save 2 hours (about)

When we implement the templates / inheritance feature (where you can have parent scenes to inherit properties from), this kind of thing will be addressed.

Jon

I'm very excited for a better scene designer, but frankly most of those things don't excite me, other than cut and paste - and to see that it might not even be implemented is disappointing.

In general I'd just like building levels to be quicker and less tedious. 

So cut and paste for a start,
But also a way of navigating through actors by their folder (right now I have hundreds of actors, and it takes way to long to find what I need).
And importable/exportable tilemaps would be excellent. It would solve a number of time consuming issues I've come up against (like having to tediously rebuild entire levels from scratch because they're at the wrong tile size or resolution), but would also mean that we could work on tilemaps on mobile platforms and import them - there are many iPad (and other) tile mapping programs out there. Would love to be able to build my tilemaps on the subway, or just generally not have to lug the laptop everywhere when I want to work on things.
A last thing, that I'm not sure you've fixed yet is that the "screen bounds" button could use some tweaking. Perhaps the ability to set the box size manually would work better - manual settings would be nice for the grid button as well. 

Those things would help my productivity and workflow immeasurably.

The level building aspect (such as more tools) will be addressed the next time we touch the Scene Designer.

With a lot of the next releases, barring 2.5, I'm aiming for quick cycles in the 3-4 week range (up to 2 weeks each implementing, then testing/verifying). Everything has a place and will come in time.

kid clementina

Jon: Well, I'd actually be happier with just that frankly! More timely updates and releases and more stable builds on a regular basis would be number one on my wish list!

At this point I just have spent A LOT of time with Stencyl (although certainly not as much as you, haha) and I have an old married style relationship with it. I love it, but GAH SO ANNOYING SOMETIMES. Scene designer in particular. I have spent A LOT of time with the scene designer. Too much time. I look at it and see all my annoyances with it, rather than it's merits.

Jon

tabletop

Will there be increased preformace in the scene designer, since it occassionally recieves lag and slowdown. And how about the ability to have multiple sized tiles, since not all tiles fit together as an evenly spaced grid.

Justin

I am wondering if there can be a toggle button for Snap to Grid? Would be better than having to hold shift every time I want to use the grid.

Thanks,
Shane.
This is now in the latest build.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

Photics

E-mailed you.

Awwhhh... why did that conversation go off-line? It was interesting.  :D
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

thebloke65

Sounds cool, however I would also love a proper way to add animated cut-scenes, like adding a swf, gif or flv file. Heck even a small quick time.

Ryusui

Yeah. The video player is nice, but I'd love to be able to actually embed a video - an FLV or SWF or something.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Jon

Will there be increased preformace in the scene designer, since it occassionally recieves lag and slowdown. And how about the ability to have multiple sized tiles, since not all tiles fit together as an evenly spaced grid.

I haven't seen or been aware of lag in the Scene Designer in a very long time. It's probably a pretty-specific case (more than just dumping lots of things in).

Jon

E-mailed you.

Awwhhh... why did that conversation go off-line? It was interesting.  :D

I had to e-mail a link I can't post here.

Photics

I had to e-mail a link I can't post here.

Ha ha... now it's even worse.  :D

What is this mysterious link?  :o

...a powerful, yet secretive URL...

...a web address that is said to solve all problems...

...a dedicated researcher found it once, and then died of a heart attack...

...the knowledge was too great for his frail body to bear...

...his dying words were afp://

...a hidden collective of developers knows the secret...

...and they will kill anyone that dares try to reveal the location.

Maybe I should stop asking questions.  :P
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

00george

May I make a suggestion and add a gui editor like textfields and checkboxes etc. Or is that happening in a later update? Sorry if this has already been mentioned.