Stencyl 2.1 - (Released May 25th)

osiaslemuel

It is very helpful to add a panning option in the scene designer.
Like when you hold a key, you can move around the scene with your mouse rather than using the scroll bars.  :)

CaptMoose

It is very helpful to add a panning option in the scene designer.
Like when you hold a key, you can move around the scene with your mouse rather than using the scroll bars.  :)

Mouse wheel? :)
I have the right to be polite.      I_;;_I
But patronise, I do not.               {_}'

CrimsonThunder

I really hope the copy+paste makes it in. :)

Also is there a possibility of having the Games section having folders? I have a screen full of them and don't want to delete the examples and things so would rather have an "examples" folder.

Ryusui

Some kind of "Duplicate Game" function would be appreciated. I've tried to back up my Corebound game and edit the copy several times only to discover that it opens the original version each and every time. >_<#
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Ceric

That game duplication bug sounds like an error. As long as you renamed the copy (Corebound V2 or something), then it shouldn't be writing to the original.

If you look in your game's XML file (game.xml, it should be in the top level of the folder your game is in), you'll see a bunch of parameters inside the tags near the top. One of them should be "name". If you look at each of your game's files, check whether that parameter's value is the same or not.

For example, if it says name="Corebound" for the original and the copy, you need to change the value for the copy to something else, like name="Corebound 2".

Technically when you change the name of the game via the Game Settings option, it should be writing the new name to that file. If that's not happening, there's a bug.

captaincomic

I think this can happen when you copy and rename the games folder in a file manager. Then the game.xml will of course contain the old name. And then strange things happen when you edit either of the games, where both games are affected by a change to one of them.

Ryusui

Yeaaaaah...I didn't realize I could "Save Game As," for some reason. >_<#
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

irock

Will there be increased preformace in the scene designer, since it occassionally recieves lag and slowdown. And how about the ability to have multiple sized tiles, since not all tiles fit together as an evenly spaced grid.

I haven't seen or been aware of lag in the Scene Designer in a very long time. It's probably a pretty-specific case (more than just dumping lots of things in).
Scene designer can get really slow for me with big scenes, especially when scrolling or using the column/row tools, which can take several seconds just to add or remove one column or row. If I delete a big portion of the tiles in the scene, it won't lag anymore, so it's most likely an issue related to having a bunch of stuff. Also, hiding layers with a lot of tiles improves performance.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:35:31 pm by Irock »

Jon

Unless something has changed, that comes as a surprise to me - I might ask Justin about it since he mentioned something in this arena not too long ago.

The scene designer is explicitly implemented in a way that scene size / complexity is irrelevant.

irock

Unless something has changed, that comes as a surprise to me - I might ask Justin about it since he mentioned something in this arena not too long ago.

The scene designer is explicitly implemented in a way that scene size / complexity is irrelevant.
As far as I know, it's been like that for a long time, if not forever. At least I know it was like that when working on The Binding Force in early 2011.

1MrPaul1

If talking about not perfectness of scene designer, here is really big one.
I use actors as tiles, Placing it in scene designer, but it's created in other order than in scene designer, and some actors placing in bottom instead of top of previous created actor, and we have this "interesting" effect in style of Salvador Dali....
Probably it's some economy of layers inside of each layer, and each main layer can have only six or seven layers. But what to do if you need realistic tiling with actors?....

Jon

That's something that the auto-tiling project in the future will handle.

1MrPaul1

Ok, thank you Jon! will wait...

Dizko

If talking about not perfectness of scene designer, here is really big one.
I use actors as tiles, Placing it in scene designer, but it's created in other order than in scene designer, and some actors placing in bottom instead of top of previous created actor, and we have this "interesting" effect in style of Salvador Dali....
Probably it's some economy of layers inside of each layer, and each main layer can have only six or seven layers. But what to do if you need realistic tiling with actors?....

You could just handle that in the art and just create the actor differently, so that they don't overlap and instead butt up against each other (see attached for example). If you need an end cap where the outer edge's need to be visible, then you would just use a different actor/animation for that specific need.

1MrPaul1

Thank you for help Dizko. Usually I do this things exactly how you showed, when using tiles, but I need dynamical tiles, that is why I'm using actors in this case that is why I can't divide actors on parts.  But of cause I will find workaround for this, may be just hide this bad overlaping with a static tile placed behind.