[SOLVED] Perlin Noise Random Terrain Generation

tristonhopkins

So I'm having a bit of a complicated problem with Stencyl.

I'm attempting to implement randomized terrain generation for a game I'm working on.  Currently, I have the behavior to read a 2D array as a map and output it as tiles completed.  Where I'm having issue is a behavior to create a 2D array map that is generated by the perlin noise algorithm.  I've spent the last few days doing some research, and I haven't been able to make any progress.

Does the Stencyl API even support the math functions needed to calculate the algorithm?  Unless I was doing something wrong, which is likely, even with what little I got Stencyl to attempt to do, it was throwing errors.  Ideally I'd like to make it a full behavior that I can control with attributes, but for now I'd just like to get the dang thing to work at all.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:35:00 pm by tristonhopkins »

Hectate

There's nothing in Stencyl or Flixel, but there's no reason you can't use Flash's built in perlin noise generator.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS2LCR/Flash_10.0/help.html?content=00000799.html

That will generate a BitmapData which you could then sample individual pixels of to get a value for use in your tiles.

Edit: Further API details...
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/display/BitmapData.html#perlinNoise%28%29
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

tristonhopkins

Thanks; generating the perlin noise into a bitmap sounds simple enough.

However, now I'm stumped finding a function to translate bitmapdata into a 2D array.  I've done some searching but I've come up empty handed.

EDIT: Okay.. I feel stupid.  I think I just found it as a method of BitmapData.  Going to see if it's what I need in the meantime.  Feel free to stop me if I'm wrong. :P

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:30:10 pm by tristonhopkins »

tristonhopkins

Well, I've made progress!  I was able to generate the perlin noise with BitmapData, then I used getPixel to input each pixel into my 2D array.  Now I just have to get my map drawing behavior to interpret hexidecimal color codes.  The hex values are of a large range where as I only need to draw a few tiles..  :'(

Nomosoft

Well, I've made progress!  I was able to generate the perlin noise with BitmapData, then I used getPixel to input each pixel into my 2D array.  Now I just have to get my map drawing behavior to interpret hexidecimal color codes.  The hex values are of a large range where as I only need to draw a few tiles..  :'(

Are you saying you want something like "Color 1 = tile1," "Color 2 = tile 2," etc, but you have too many colors? I'm not sure why the range of colors is an issue.

tristonhopkins

Well when my behavior checks each x,y in my 2D array, it's passed a hexidecimal color code.  For example, everytime it's passed a hexidecimal greater than #999999, it will draw a grass tile.  Anything less, a water tile.  I have the behavior for it checking each hex in the array working just fine.  I just need to fix the part in the behavior where it draws tiles so that it can interpret the entire hex range of colors.

Hectate

I think there is a HexToRGB method somewhere if you'd rather work with 0-255 values or something.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

tristonhopkins

I think there is a HexToRGB method somewhere if you'd rather work with 0-255 values or something.

That honestly might be a bit easier.

tristonhopkins

And now for the fruit of my labor!  I finally have it working. :D

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/12566

Ryusui

In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

tristonhopkins

Color me impressed!

I'm glad I could help you with the array business. ;)

Haha, yes, thank you very much for your help!  You definitely set me down the right path.

I'm a bit proud of a new feature I've implemented on my local version.  Now it rejects maps if they don't fit certain criteria.  It needs some expanding upon, but it works. :D

Hectate

Awesome work there! What's the final scene size in tiles that is being generated? That looks like more than the original 40 that you had.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

tristonhopkins

Awesome work there! What's the final scene size in tiles that is being generated? That looks like more than the original 40 that you had.
Thanks!  I actually increased it to 120x120.