Super Rocketeer Devlog

GregAnims

A year in development   D:  *shudders*

Looks great though! Its cool to watch these videos because i am making a very similar game to yours and i've had to tackle some of the same problems (sticky wall jumping)

My constructive criticism:
- bg tiles/traps should be more readable. A lot of your bg tiles look like you could walk on them (brown planks), and some of your traps blend into the scene too much (spiky grass, wooden side spikes)
- just from a design standpoint its not efficient to have auto-jump for 1/2 tiles if there's already a jump button that would do it faster/more intuitively

I think you should really nail down what you want the game to be so you can build the whole design around that, the AK hinted at an action shooter, the traps/walljumping hint at SMB action platformer but the environment/music seems like a knytt relaxing style exploring game. Fine to combine them all, just that it can be a bitch when you keep adding fun elements then down the road you realize they don't work well together and you have to scrap/redo a lot of the game. (what do you use to record these videos btw?)

Blob

Good feedback.

I'm not sure I get your point about the auto-jump, it's faster than the regular jump (or anything else for that matter) and it's because it hits the ground so quickly that I made it automatic, so the player doesn't have to keep hitting the jump key rapidly.

The fact that you associated those gameplay elements with a specific title (and probably had one in mind for action) is the very reason that I'm creating my game with different design standpoints; if I were to focus on one it would only blend in more with other games of that genre, and wouldn't be as interesting. The variety might make the game 10x harder to make, but I feel I have to do it no matter what to give my game more purpose.

I use Camtasia to record.

Savager

I like your game. Will keep an eye on the proyect :D. Good job!

Blob

I haven’t been able to put together a video this week due to an editing issue, but here’s my week in writing.

- Prototyped a system where Rocketeer can collect cards placed around the game world with items attributed to them, which are then added to a collection where the player can spawn those items whenever they like, similar to an inventory system but aimed to be more sandbox-like.

This was a pretty good change for me because I'm now able to give the player incentive to explore areas, it adds a completionist/collection component to the game that I was hoping to have, and it'll add a lot of variety to the game (if done right).

Holding C down creates a bubble and the item of choice around Rocketeer, restricting his movement and instead letting you move the item around with the arrow keys, which can be stamped anywhere in the bubble's range by pressing Z.

- Made it so Rocketeer plays a toddle animation when overstepping his bounds on a ledge.

- Made an in-air vault where Rocketeer automatically climbs up the top of a ledge if up is held down, like the ground vault but without the ground part. Complete with its own subtle animation.

- Made it so Rocketeer can automatically climb into crawlspaces elevated 1 tile higher than him, like a combination of the ground vault and the auto-crawl.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:44:28 pm by Blob »

ChristianEs

i like that your game is shaping up to be a very detailed game , its gonna be weird and cool if you make the most detailed game ever :P, like with lots of  moves..and that stuff

1dot44mb

That little rocketeer seems so cute, i can't wait to play this game. You are doing a great job, please keep posting more dev stuff.

Blob

Here's the video for last week's update now that I was able to put it together.

Super Rocketeer Dev Log 3

I'm ahead of this at this point, so hopefully I'll have a longer update by next week.

kiwixoats

Here's the video for last week's update now that I was able to put it together.

Super Rocketeer Dev Log 3

I'm ahead of this at this point, so hopefully I'll have a longer update by next week.

I like your dev logs, but can you please post them without any music?
Thanks.

1dot44mb

Great improvements as always, that's a very promising game although i still do not get what is the purpose of the game? Killing enemies and passing levels? Just asking here.

And your dev logs motivate me so much into making games on my projects list. Very good job as always.

Blob

I like your dev logs, but can you please post them without any music?
Thanks.
What don't you like about the music? If it's too loud I can turn it down more, but I find the videos are pretty drab without it.

i still do not get what is the purpose of the game? Killing enemies and passing levels?
The purpose is to go through whatever scenarios the plot throws you into. Most of the time that will probably just entail getting from point A to point B, but hopefully not always.

bsidegames

I love watching this stuff... great stuff so far :)

BTW did you get my PM

Blob

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, I was away on a trip.

Super Rocketeer Dev Video 4 - Sprinting & Climbing

ChristianEs

nice, but the "sprint effect" kinda looks like if a bug is happening on screen

Nomosoft

What happened to this? No updates in months, and the Twitter account seems to be gone. Super Rocketeer and Spriting Everything are two of the best things to come out of this community, I'd hate to think they just died.