Blasting Force is now released!

Hypnohustla

BLASTING FORCE!

The game is now finished! You can play it here:
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/14117
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/600823
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Hypnohustla/blasting-force

- Choose from three playable characters and blast your way through an overwhelming amount of enemy waves.
- Use grenades, flamethrowers and other weapons to get to the bastard behind the invasion.
- Unlock upgrades and become a force to be reckoned with!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:00:53 pm by Hypnohustla »
Follow me on Twitter

coleislazy

This is pretty awesome! I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay and style. Good work!

JensWinterstein

What a blast from the past! :))
One of my fav. features: At short range, the soldiers start running at you.

You made an old Commando veteran very happy ;)
I experienced no bugs so far. Nicely done.

Time to play some more...

EDIT: I hooked up a gamepad and mapped some keys, since shooting with "arrow up" is not my prefered playstyle.
That would be one suggestion: Press "space" to fire. (Of course redundant to "arrow up")

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:59:36 am by JensWinterstein »
Get 100 Chambers for Android / iOS
Get Cubus Velox for Android / iOS or play it on Flash

- Portfolio

Hypnohustla

What a blast from the past! :))
One of my fav. features: At short range, the soldiers start running at you.

You made an old Commando veteran very happy ;)
I experienced no bugs so far. Nicely done.

Time to play some more...

EDIT: I hooked up a gamepad and mapped some keys, since shooting with "arrow up" is not my prefered playstyle.
That would be one suggestion: Press "space" to fire. (Of course redundant to "arrow up")

I'll add it to the next update, that will be ready in a hour or so. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Updated the game. You can now use space to shoot. I also fixed some minor bugs that I noticed while testing.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:18:40 pm by Hypnohustla »
Follow me on Twitter

JensWinterstein

Very cool! I played some more and wrote down the following stuff:
  • Maybe the helicopter weapon should also destroy enemy shots (I died a few times from the shots while being covered by the helicopter sprite)
  • I wondered what all the Z's, R's, S's etc. stand for. So it would be nice if power-ups would tell you what they do (maybe the same way the points appear after shooting an enemy?)
  • My score resetted during mid-play. I don't know exactly why... I had the woman character/ a white tiger died and then the score was 0 (it didn't occur twice :(). EDIT: The score resets at 10000 - also, the score doesn't reset to 0 after starting a new game.

Please keep in mind that this reflects just the thoughts I had while playing, the game rocks nonetheless :)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:30:04 pm by JensWinterstein »
Get 100 Chambers for Android / iOS
Get Cubus Velox for Android / iOS or play it on Flash

- Portfolio

Hypnohustla

Very cool! I played some more and wrote down the following stuff:
  • Maybe the helicopter weapon should also destroy enemy shots (I died a few times from the shots while being covered by the helicopter sprite)
  • I wondered what all the Z's, R's, S's etc. stand for. So it would be nice if power-ups would tell you what they do (maybe the same way the points appear after shooting an enemy?)
  • My score resetted during mid-play. I don't know exactly why... I had the woman character/ a white tiger died and then the score was 0 (it didn't occur twice :(). EDIT: The score resets at 10000 - also, the score doesn't reset to 0 after starting a new game.

Please keep in mind that this reflects just the thoughts I had while playing, the game rocks nonetheless :)

Good point about the helicopter, I'm fixing it in the next update.
I'm not sure about telling the power-up effects, I thought it would be fun to figure out on your own. But I'm sure to check in to it. :)
And the score resets because it gives out a coin after 10000 points. Maybe I should point it out more clearly somewhere. :P
Follow me on Twitter

Lympha

This is a really great game so far, all the animation is smooth, I'd say it's looking good. My only suggestions or criticism would be the fact that you're unable of walking around, I'm sure this is no surprise to you, but it makes it really hard to dodge the artillery from the sides if you haven't shot them yet. Besides that, it's not really obvious how to get coins, I played one run and I wouldn't say I did that bad, but I still didn't get point, it'd be nice if there'd be some in-game elaboration on that.
Further though, it's a great game, the art isn't flawless, but still really good.
Keep it up, I'd like to see what this could evolve to.
Need criticism on a game? Don't hesitate to PM me.

saulochina

great game, tomorrow ill spent some time not working on my work hehe
Finding the fun!
Squib Wars. Now complete, and avaible for free on App Store! http://bit.ly/LxJ62L
https://www.facebook.com/twoheadedgames
Twitter: @saulochina
MSN: sauloj.china@hotmail.com

Hypnohustla

This is a really great game so far, all the animation is smooth, I'd say it's looking good. My only suggestions or criticism would be the fact that you're unable of walking around, I'm sure this is no surprise to you, but it makes it really hard to dodge the artillery from the sides if you haven't shot them yet. Besides that, it's not really obvious how to get coins, I played one run and I wouldn't say I did that bad, but I still didn't get point, it'd be nice if there'd be some in-game elaboration on that.

The movement to up and down is out of question, but maybe in the sequel? :) You just have to blast the guy at the sides so you dont get hit. Maybe I'll make them shoot less often?
I'll fix the coin issue in the next update. Add an explanation in the tutorial and maybe making it give out two to three coins after 10000 points. I agree that you should be able to reward yourself at the shop, even after your first run. Thanks for the feedback!

And saulochina, I'm so sorry. :)
Follow me on Twitter

Hypnohustla

Updated the game!

Changelog:
-The machinegunners at the edges can now be dodged by using the evade move.
-The helicopter now also destroys the enemy bullets.
-The game gives 1-4 coins randomly at every 10000 points.
-Fixed some graphical issues
Follow me on Twitter

Lympha

Nice update, it's nice that you take criticism seriously, and actually listen to your audience, that's a really good virtue to have as a game developer.
The fact that the enemies with machine guns can now be dodged is probably the best thing of this update.
I'd like to give some criticism on the helicopter, but the game immediately froze as soon as the helicopter came in, this is basically what it got stuck at, tried pressing 'P', because maybe that was the problem, but it wasn't. Perhaps it's just my computer being weird or something, but I thought you might like to know this anyhow.
I'm not a fan of the fact that you get 1-4 coins randomly, mainly because of the 'randomly'-part. If I wanted to base my progress in a game on luck, I'd rather play a board game. I'd prefer, say 1 coin every 5000 points or so, or perhaps you could higher the prices for upgrades and give one coin for every 1000 points. Just some suggestions though.
I'm not quite sure which graphical errors you fixed, but I forgot to mention last time that the 8-bit pixel-art is extraordinary.

Also, I know you didn't want to implement moving forward or backwards, but I thought, perhaps you could implement a forward jump/roll, where you evade by going in front, after that you just return in your current position. This could be an easier way for dodging, but more importantly, it could give some variation in movement. Something I always noticed in games, is the more actions or movements you have, the more variation the game has, hence making the game more fun.

But the again, these are just suggestions, the game is great, nonetheless.

NobodyX

I reeeeaaally like this game so far. It has a pitiful amount of plays for how amazing it is. Super polished, fun, badass, and awesome.

I love how one of the enemy types is holes in the ground. I love that the holes can be grenaded into becoming non-holes. I love that there are different level themes chosen at random. I love that the female character is wearing very little clothes, even in subzero temperatures. I love how your character walks side-to-side slow enough that it forces you to think ahead or else you get into impossible situations. I love the powerups, the boomerang is awesome, video games need more deadly boomerangs.

This game f'ing kicks ass.

Savager

I enjoyed the game. Good work. The frontal roll for evade will be good, maybe whit some cooldown for not abusing it.

Hypnohustla

Thanks NobodyX! I'm thinking of adding a wavy movement to the boomerang. What do you think?

And Savager, I think you mean it would be good.
Does anyone else feel the need for a forward roll? The problem with it is that it would mean adding more buttons to the layout. I want to keep it playable with only one hand. And I also feel uncomfortable adding a game changing mechanic to an almost finished game. Maybe in the sequel? ;)

Also, I updated the game and hopefully fixed the game crashing bug Lympha. I hope people would report these things more!

And lastly: has anyone been able to defeat the game. Have you gotten to the boss fight?
Follow me on Twitter

Lympha

The game is really great, haven't spotted any bugs yet, although I (again) have some criticism. I bought some upgrades from the shop, but it'd be nice to have some verification of your upgrades, like a bar-level system. Also a nice upgrade would be a better agility, as that's always a really nice thing to have.
Over-all, it's looking really good, I like how destroying the tank gives you a ton of points, even though it's not really a hard opponent.
I haven't defeated the end-boss yet, though, any hints on how to summon it?