Animation Trouble

Medevenx

Still at school so I haven't tried out the code but do you feel like the startup animation and the landing animations are like lag to the player or not? I'll probably test it later at home because when I tried doing it at home it felt like lag.. (btw you can't move in the x direction during the .1 or .2 seconds of the startup/landing animations right? because that's what i had in mind) is it possible to do that? (unallow any movement along the x-axis during an animation or even have other animations that won't allow you to move at all such as damaged or "hit" animations)

btw if you need graphics or want to make a game just tell :)

Kajitii

Uhh, I dunno.  For me, it feels right, but it might not for others.  Related: I've played La Mulana recently, and I like that game.  The attacks and jump mechanics in that game are even more strict than what I've done here so far.  Other people I've introduced it to quickly dropped the game for who-knows-what reason, and I can only imagine that the mechanics screwed them up pretty fast.  I should follow up on that some time.

Yes, the inability to move during the start/end animations is in place.

And coincidentally, I'm also making my own game xD  I'll PM you if I need some work done in art.  Jebus knows how long I obsessed over my own craptastic art skills and got nowhere in those sleepless nights x_X

Ryusui

I love La Mulana. Never beat it, but I came damn close (the part with the eyes in the endgame is pretty unforgiving), and let me say I'm pissed Nicalis welched on bringing the WiiWare version stateside.

More than that, I'd love to make a game like it myself someday. :3
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Medevenx

Haven't played La Mulana but it's on my list of indie games to complete. I still haven't finished Iji and Cave Story but I manage to finish a large part of the game. Currently playing Braid. Anyway, I tried the code. The landing animation didn't work (what am i doing wrong i followed the code) and he still doesn't fall when he just falls of a platform by moving left or right (is this still a problem with the inconsistent hitboxes?)

Kajitii

If you're having problems with the code, why not post it in full?

Also, I never actually coded in the falling behavior for when he simply walks off the cliff, whoops.

Medevenx

How come walking of a tile needs its own code? Isn't it enough that y-speed is below value and off ground? That's what I always wondered about..

Medevenx

I have the code copied correctly but the landing animation really doesn't show..

Kajitii

For the falling issue: the reason why the falling animations don't play when you just walk off an edge is because the boolean "On Ground?" never becomes false.  I'd imagine it's pretty easy to implement code ("On Ground?" = true) for this behavior by putting a check for y speed greater than 1 in an update event.  If for some reason the player looks like he's tripping or spazzing out, you can either increase the speed threshold, or tweak the collisions.

For the landing animation issue, did you check to make sure that "Is Falling?" correctly inhibits running animations?  I've noticed that you didn't post the running behavior, so it's likely that you didn't really look at it.  In the sample code I posted earlier, running is disabled when the character is in start/end animation.

twotimingpete

hey op, nice artwork. got a run cycle?

Medevenx

Pretty sure I copied everything.

twotimingpete

good stuff, I dig the character. I hope you finish it.