Stencyl 3.0 - Design Once. Play Anywhere. (Soft Launched on Feb 20th)

Jon

I imagine that'll be part of the engine overhaul they're talking about.

By the way, I'd like to make one feature request: a "simple physics" option. A quirk of Box2D's collision detection caused problems for me in Corebound, a game which has more in common with Megaman than Angry Birds (they're solved in the current version, though I had to implement a workaround). It's awesome that Stencyl has a sophisticated physics engine built in, but I think some games could benefit from a more...platformer-friendly collision implementation. (Especially since it would possibly mean we could finally edit tilemaps created in the Scene Designer.)

Yes, that's actually one of the features I'll talk about next in 3.0.

Weasel8778

I'd like to see some sort of database functionality but I guess that just isn't a top priority at the moment :( But I expect the majority of successful flash games use 2d arrays or databases, but it's a massive work around in Stencyl =/

Still great news though :p

Ryusui

Yes, that's actually one of the features I'll talk about next in 3.0.

Awesome. :3 Also, one other thing, something I'm sure a lot of people would like to see: the ability to create databases. It seems like everybody and his brother wants to make an RPG (myself included); it's possible with Stencyl as it stands, but it'd be helpful if we had, for example, some sort of XML capability, or at the very least built-in support for two-dimensional lists.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Jon

The database idea, or rather, a fleshing out of the Game Attributes feature further is something I'm planning for post 3.0. I'd like it to be easy to use but meet your needs.

Play

I imagine that'll be part of the engine overhaul they're talking about.

By the way, I'd like to make one feature request: a "simple physics" option. A quirk of Box2D's collision detection caused problems for me in Corebound, a game which has more in common with Megaman than Angry Birds (they're solved in the current version, though I had to implement a workaround). It's awesome that Stencyl has a sophisticated physics engine built in, but I think some games could benefit from a more...platformer-friendly collision implementation. (Especially since it would possibly mean we could finally edit tilemaps created in the Scene Designer.)

Absolutely agreed. It's an real pain trying to integrate traditional platforming elements with Box2D, especially concerning things like wall collisions, walking on slopes, standing on moving platforms, etc. These last couple days I've been struggling to simply get my character to slide up walls and pop over ledges when he collides with them mid-air, because if I want physics to apply to my character in other circumstances I need to set its bounciness to something higher than 0, which causes him to recoil awkwardly when he hits walls. It's gotten to the point that I'd rather implement the kind of basic platforming physics engines I'm used to making in MMF and Gamemaker, yet this leads to awkwardness and inefficient game performance since it essentially uses Box2D to simulate something much less sophisticated.

One thing I think would be nice is the option to override Box2D's physics with particular collisions: for example, if the character falls and collides with the ground, it would be nice if we could specify how exactly we want Box2D's physics to behave in that situation, or cancel it out altogether. As it is, physics will effect the actor and then you have to try to override that effect after the fact.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:12:21 pm by Play »

CrimsonThunder

Do you consider consoles major platforms or not?

How backwards compatible is it? Will things made in 2.x work in it?

Am I not good enough for answers?

neovive

This is very exciting news.  Looking forward to the availability of more power when needed, but the ability to stick with basic block scripting for the majority of scripting.

Justin

Any behavior written in code mode, or including code blocks, will need the code rewritten in the new universal language. If you created your game only with the Design Mode blocks, they should run in 3.0 with no changes.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

CrimsonThunder

Any behavior written in code mode, or including code blocks, will need the code rewritten in the new universal language. If you created your game only with the Design Mode blocks, they should run in 3.0 with no changes.
Thanks Justin! :)

Photics

Do you consider consoles major platforms or not?

Ah... Stencyl for game consoles. That could be cool. Although, with the rumors of Apple TV, I think an app store over there would be like a game console.

Also... maybe my questions were missed. They're still unanswered...

• Question #1 - Is it combined? In other words... if you already have Stencyl Pro, will HTML5 be included?
  • Question #2 - Will "Web Requests" be supported?
  • Question #3 - Which web browsers will be supported?

My mood with Stencyl has been great lately. I did something so amazing yesterday, that it's becoming really hard to keep my project a secret. And yet... my cool design didn't work with iOS. I was using just the standard blocks and I got this error...

Behavior: 0
Source File: ActorEvents_0.mm
Line: 199
Reason: invalid operands of types 'objc_object*' and 'float' to binary 'operator-'

Reason: invalid operands of types 'objc_object*' and 'float' to binary 'operator-'

It seems to be related to my excessive use of drawing shapes... works great on Flash... but not so much on iOS. Is this something that's going to be improved with version 3.0?

Example... the lines and shapes are not true vector, because they're jaggy/fuzzy when the game is full screen.

Also, are there collision shapes on a drawing shape? I saw regions, but I'm not sure how to move any except the last created region.
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

captaincomic

Question #3 - Which web browsers will be supported?
HTML5 is an open web standard. If Stencyl exports to HTML5 it shouldn't need to care about browser specifics. It's the browsers job to support HTML5. Though the reality might be different and browsers might handle things differently not following the standard.

And yet... my cool design didn't work with iOS. I was using just the standard blocks and I got this error...

You probably need to use an "as number" block in the events of one of your actors types.
It looks like you pass an object to a "number - number" block.

I'm not sure, but I guess this will be improved in 3.0 as well, i.e. no more "as number"/"as text" conversions will be needed(?)

Also, are there collision shapes on a drawing shape? I saw regions, but I'm not sure how to move any except the last created region.
You can store a region in an region attribute, then you can move it.

Hectate

Example... the lines and shapes are not true vector, because they're jaggy/fuzzy when the game is full screen.

Currently the lines start as vector but they are drawn to the Flash window afterward. Since going full-screen is just stretching that window - they get stretched also.

In theory you could add vector art yourself to the Flash stage separate from the game (it may be difficult to control along with the game, dunno) and have better luck that way. Right now, the game window is just an object to Flash - one that gets it's pixels constantly updated though.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Photics

HTML5 is an open web standard. If Stencyl exports to HTML5 it shouldn't need to care about browser specifics. It's the browsers job to support HTML5. Though the reality might be different and browsers might handle things differently not following the standard.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. You can check it out... http://html5test.com ...Internet Explorer is a disaster. Even IE10 gets a lousy score. While I'm not a big fan of IE, I can't just ignore a large percentage of my visitors. As for the other browsers, what you see on an Android device might be different than Firefox.

That's ultimately why I like Stencyl... because I can give the player the option to choose between the two versions Flash/HTML5 or I can use browser detection to send the appropriate version.

I'm skeptical though. I'm seeing a big difference between the Flash and iOS versions of my game... and both are mature technologies. HTML5 is a mess. Example - they couldn't even settle on a standard for video. Instead of using one version... Flash... now I have to worry about the differences of WebM, OggTheora, MPEG-4 and H.264.

Another example is Swiffy...
https://www.google.com/doubleclick/studio/swiffy/gettingstarted.html

The chart shows problems with supporting sound and only AS2 is supported. Is Stencyl going to beat out Google?

One system... that exports to Mac, PC, iOS, Android, Flash and HTML5 ...I'm skeptical. That's a big task. And if Stencyl can pull it off, this goes way beyond game development.

You probably need to use an "as number" block in the events of one of your actors types.
It looks like you pass an object to a "number - number" block.

The "as number" block did improve the situation. Now, the game loads... but its not being drawn like the Flash version. Again, this is why I'm skeptical. I'm not doing anything terribly fancy... no custom code... and I'm getting unexpected results with different platforms.

So, should I just wait and see if 3.0 will solve this problem?  :-\

You can store a region in an region attribute, then you can move it.

I saw Region Attributes, but I didn't use them yet. I still have more testing to see if this will work.  I'm worried that I might have to abandon the drawing shapes and use actors instead. It seems that there's a problem with compatibility when using the drawing shapes. It's frustrating when I see something working great in Flash, but doesn't work on iOS.

Maybe 3.0 will fix that.  :D

Just a general comment... I like the debug tools.

Currently the lines start as vector but they are drawn to the Flash window afterward. Since going full-screen is just stretching that window - they get stretched also.

That is a problem, but with so many different platforms, wouldn't it be more ideal if Stencyl games could scale better?

Say I create my game in 480x320... how's that going to look on the rumors of a new iPhone, which is 16:9? Full screen on a Mac, which could be 4:3, 16:9 or a vast array of different sizes... then there's Android fragmentation issues.

If the game scrolls, the camera could adjust size to better match the screen ratio.

In theory you could add vector art yourself to the Flash stage separate from the game (it may be difficult to control along with the game, dunno) and have better luck that way. Right now, the game window is just an object to Flash - one that gets it's pixels constantly updated though.

What? I can add vector artwork?  :o

That's why I've been using Swiffy, because it's an easy way to export vector artwork to HTML5. Considering that Stencyl started out as Flash, it would be nice if I could import vector artwork into Stencyl and have it exported to HTML5. But unfortunately, SVG graphics is probably too slow for games.

Is Stencyl going to use Canvas or something else for HTML5 graphics?

I've been seriously battling with the HTML5 issue for the last six months. It hasn't been fun. That's why I'm skeptical but excited about Stencyl 3.0. If this is done right, it could change game development and web development.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:26:15 am by Photics »
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

tabletop

Would the new hardware in Stencyl 3.0 be able to run this sample game at 50-60 FPS?

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/12975 (C attacks)

because alienating people who want to create more console like action rpg/fighting/AI type games with enemies and enemy patterns will be disappointing if the FPS cannot handle it.

Sunflower

It's 60 FPS here, with about 1-2 ms of rendering and 4-5 of updating.

Probably when the "simple" collision system talked about earlier here comes out, then the game flow will get better as well (since it's probably Box2D system which eats up most of updating time)!