Stencyl 3.0 - Design Once. Play Anywhere. (Soft Launched on Feb 20th)

caimomile

uhh, a question (hope answering this won't violate the NDA).  Will stencyl 2.2 projects still work with 3.0?  I want to start working on my game already but I'll need 3.0's android/html5 publishing capability.

If I start on the project right now, can I just continue working on it in 3.0?  or is it be more advisable for me to wait for 3.0 (which will hopefully be released by the end of this month)

Future Freak

uhh, a question (hope answering this won't violate the NDA).  Will stencyl 2.2 projects still work with 3.0?  I want to start working on my game already but I'll need 3.0's android/html5 publishing capability.

If I start on the project right now, can I just continue working on it in 3.0?  or is it be more advisable for me to wait for 3.0 (which will hopefully be released by the end of this month)

2.2 projects will be able to be opened in 3.0 - so continue to work on your 2.2 project.

This is what I'm currently doing, I'm almost ready to publish soon - so will be publishing iOS in 2.2 and then I plan to do android at a later date once 3.0 is stable.

caimomile

thanks!  last, are there more features in 3.0 besides the android/html5 export and the language change? (just a simple YES or NO will do since the NDA prevents you from elaborating)

caimomile

and by 2.2 projects being "open-able" in 3.0, that exclude the code behaviors, right?  since 3.0 will no longe use AS3

Future Freak

and by 2.2 projects being "open-able" in 3.0, that exclude the code behaviors, right?  since 3.0 will no longe use AS3

I'm pretty sure you will need to re-write any specific code sections for as3 and objective c.  I personally have tried to stay away from platform specific code because of portability problems like this  :)

Innes

I'm pretty sure you will need to re-write any specific code sections for as3 and objective c.  I personally have tried to stay away from platform specific code because of portability problems like this  :)

It has already been made public that a single language will be used to write code.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

captaincomic

thanks!  last, are there more features in 3.0 besides the android/html5 export and the language change? (just a simple YES or NO will do since the NDA prevents you from elaborating)
YES. :)

I can say so much (because Jon has said this in public before): 3.0 will be mostly about unifying the engine under a new language, so don't expect too many new features, but there are some.

tabletop

Can anyone comment on the preformace of standalone Windows Apps?

Hectate

Standalone apps are not known to form in advance of the present. You might say that they don't preform at all.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

caimomile

Standalone apps are not known to form in advance of the present. You might say that they don't preform at all.

so you can't export .exe in 3.0???

caimomile

caimomile

sorry for the double post, the net here's being an ass

Future Freak

Ignore him - he's taking the mickey on the misspelling of "preformace"

:)

You can export exe's in 3 on a platform that supports it (ie PC)

Photics

You can export exe's in 3 on a platform that supports it (ie PC)

EXCITING!  :D
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)