Stencyl 3.0 - Design Once. Play Anywhere. (Soft Launched on Feb 20th)

caimomile

a question about very minor "fixes".  (asked since jon said he'll make announcements already anyway)

are folders within folders now possible? currently you cannot create subfolders inside folders that segregated actors.  Don't see why it isn't possible.  Don't tell me that something that simple is impossible.

Also, the actors palette in the scene design view (where you draw tiles on the scene, forgot what its really called) are not grouped.  They just keep piling up into a massive list that's really annoying (i'm pretty sure the list isn't even alphabetize, they just add actors on the bottom - and by god, the lack of order in the list even makes it even more annoying).  will that be fixed?

And lastly, the most annoying of all: the variables/attributes.  if you have too many of them (and by god, you WILL NEED a lot of them if you're going to create a rather complex game) they appear in an AWFUL 1 column list (that isn't even alphabetized) in some code blocks that surpass the screen length.

sorry if I sound like i'm ranting.  it's just that i don't get why minor things like those that will give A LOT MORE convenience aren't fixed yet (don't tell me they're intentional, i'm pretty sure the developers are AWESOME designers as well). these are a few annoyances that I have with stencyl (i'm not gonna ask about the "bloat" because I remember other people had already asked about that).  if those are fixed and stencyl becomes more stable, i'll really consider buying stencyl studio.  thanks

Stevetheipad

Forgive me if this has been covered already (don't have time to read through 37 pages from this thread  :D ), I was curious about a few things with the release of 3.0. 

1) Will it include Android In-App purchasing? (I know it says it will, just curious if it will do it straight out of the box, and will it account for the major Android markets (Google Play, Amazon, Nook, etc.)

2) The html5 export.  Will this give us the actual html5 files themselves along with all source files needed.  I didn't see a Windows 8 export so I was thinking this would be an easy workaround using Visual Studio.

3) Will the Universal Apps ever be anything other than a stretch feature?  Since the aspect ratio is different between iphone and ipad, I was curious if this will be addressed as well?

Thanks,
Ed

3) Universal is not a stretch feature...there is an option for that called Universal 2X, but you can make multiple scenes and then use blocks to go to the right scene appropriate to that device. Like "if device is iPad, then switch to iPad scene".

wpaten

Thanks Steve.  I was playing with it last night and finally got it hammered out.

Luyren

a question about very minor "fixes".  (asked since jon said he'll make announcements already anyway)

are folders within folders now possible? currently you cannot create subfolders inside folders that segregated actors.  Don't see why it isn't possible.  Don't tell me that something that simple is impossible.

Also, the actors palette in the scene design view (where you draw tiles on the scene, forgot what its really called) are not grouped.  They just keep piling up into a massive list that's really annoying (i'm pretty sure the list isn't even alphabetize, they just add actors on the bottom - and by god, the lack of order in the list even makes it even more annoying).  will that be fixed?
The team has priorities right now, but I'm sure these will be looked into at some point.

And lastly, the most annoying of all: the variables/attributes.  if you have too many of them (and by god, you WILL NEED a lot of them if you're going to create a rather complex game) they appear in an AWFUL 1 column list (that isn't even alphabetized) in some code blocks that surpass the screen length.
The attributes are organized in alphabetical order already. It's been like this for a while, as far as I know.

sorry if I sound like i'm ranting.  it's just that i don't get why minor things like those that will give A LOT MORE convenience aren't fixed yet (don't tell me they're intentional, i'm pretty sure the developers are AWESOME designers as well). these are a few annoyances that I have with stencyl (i'm not gonna ask about the "bloat" because I remember other people had already asked about that).  if those are fixed and stencyl becomes more stable, i'll really consider buying stencyl studio.  thanks
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.
Twitter

caimomile

to Luyren:

you probably mean the main attribute list where they are nicely segregated per attribute type and are alphabetized.  don't really have qualms with that.  what I'm talking about is the attribute list that pops out when you're using the increment/decrement blocks (and others like it).  That is the list that's just terrible.

thanks for the response, though

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:06:25 am by caimomile »

Stevetheipad

Thanks Steve.  I was playing with it last night and finally got it hammered out.
Yeah no problem. :)

caimomile

just to clarify:  if I buy stencyl studio tomorrow.  I get access to 3.0 tomorrow, right?  Also, i can buy stencyl studio for 149$ tomorrow since I'm going to be a student until May 2013, right?  (i need stencyl for my thesis)

captaincomic

Yes, that list is broken with many attributes (screenshot attached to clarify which list).
It affects only some blocks where it's not possible to drag an attribute onto, that's increment/decrement and "attribute has value", and maybe others.

There are workarounds though:
Instead of increment/decrement blocks you can use attrinute setter blocks with +/- 1.
Instead of the "attribute has value" you could use a code block with "_Attribute != null".

Mineat

Read the post, newbies! The answers are mostly there.

Luyren

Yes, that list is broken with many attributes (screenshot attached to clarify which list).
It affects only some blocks where it's not possible to drag an attribute onto, that's increment/decrement and "attribute has value", and maybe others.

There are workarounds though:
Instead of increment/decrement blocks you can use attrinute setter blocks with +/- 1.
Instead of the "attribute has value" you could use a code block with "_Attribute != null".
For the record, you can use the arrow keys to travel through this list, and even select an attribute that's not showing on screen.
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.
Twitter

captaincomic

For the record, you can use the arrow keys to travel through this list, and even select an attribute that's not showing on screen.
:o I didn't know that. Thanks.

ridhwaan08

For the Android publishing will we be able to test on Windows and will there be a seperate package for the Android publishing like AndroidPro or will we have to get StencylStudio

Thanks in advance ;)
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

caimomile

i guess the Q3 release is impossible as Q3 will end in around 2 days? hahahaha

ridhwaan08

i guess the Q3 release is impossible as Q3 will end in around 2 days? hahahaha

You never know  :-\
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

vikingpotato

Finally arranged a credit card!
Should get stencyl pro license in a couple of days :D (but that wont get me a beta for 3.0, right ??)