Stencyl 3.0 - Design Once. Play Anywhere. (Soft Launched on Feb 20th)

captaincomic

Ha, and I said there wouldn't be many new features besides engine unification in 3.0. Looks like I was wrong :)

Almakos

Atlases should be much, much better in 3.0. As stated above, there are no more size restrictions to them.
ooopsies,...I was so desperate to find new info on atlases so missed it completely =)
amazing news, that is just awesome.
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

Jon

To answer a few recent questions:

- 2.5 turned into 3.0, so there will be no in-between release.
- 3.0 will be released when its mega-super-awesome (its just super-awesome right now).
- There are no plans to support hex tiles in 3.0.

Most importantly: don't wait to make your game! Design mode behaviors will translate painlessly, and even code won't be difficult to port. There is no reason not to make a proof-of-concept game, at the very least.

Is there a way to test/sample exporting a standalone .exe file with watermarking or other methods? Since I want to make sure my hardware heavy game can be made before I purchase Stencyl Studio.

Yes, in the spirit of what's been done to date, it will be possible to test this out with a watermarked game prior to purchase.

Mineat

Are small gaming netbook resolutions(from 800x600, to 1024x600) available to 3.0 as in IDE window size?

Jon

Unfortunately, not. Netbook screens make for a frustrating editing experience, and there are aspects of the UI, like design mode, that don't work well with netbooks.

Jon

In case you haven't noticed, there's a new blog post up all over the site.
http://blog.stencyl.com/?p=1061

ShaneS429

I know 3.0 supports a custom splash screen for the iPhone 5 and has a block that lets you determine if it is running on it. So you could technically make a game that supports the iPhone 5.

That sounds good I'm just curious if that means I have to program everything twice in regards to the hud.

As in:

If iPhone 5, then HUD is at X,Y
Otherwise, then HUD is at X2,Y2

If that makes any sense.

As for everything else, I can't wait. Keep up the amazing work Jon!

Dom818

I know 3.0 supports a custom splash screen for the iPhone 5 and has a block that lets you determine if it is running on it. So you could technically make a game that supports the iPhone 5.

That sounds good I'm just curious if that means I have to program everything twice in regards to the hud.

As in:

If iPhone 5, then HUD is at X,Y
Otherwise, then HUD is at X2,Y2

If that makes any sense.

As for everything else, I can't wait. Keep up the amazing work Jon!

That seems like what you would be what you have to do for the iPhone 5.

Jon

You can branch like that, or you could write it, so you only need one branch. For example, position at:

(screenWidth - 10, screenHeight - 10) for example. Then, it will always be 10 pixels off from the bottom-right corner.

zawrot13

Great news!  There was no info about very important feature which I'm waiting for. I mean zoom out which was not a part of the flixel in 2.2. Will be a part of early 3.0 version?

AdventureIslands

So you mean atlases are not limited to size 2048 x 2048 or so anymore? Will Stencyl still dublicate actor graphics though? My main gripe with 2.0's atlases was that when you dublicate an actor, it dublicated it's sprite on the altas too, which is a horrible waste of space.

vikingpotato

when you dublicate an actor, it dublicated it's sprite on the altas too, which is a horrible waste of space.
This is a really important point.. perhaps It could be better to have a common Actor graphics pool, and adding new animation must to be done through and only through that graphics pool.
When an actor needs to be assigned an animation in our actor appearance window, 'add new animation' will only the show the animations currently loaded into the game (compared to the current load external file window)...
this way many actors can share the same animation

gianmichele

Which version do I need to buy into to beta test 3.0?

bergapappa

We have heard about great offers to buy early before.
Is there any reasons buying now, except for the beta?

Ive heard people in this thread getting lots of years on Stencyl when they bought though a earlier offer. Just want to know if there is any incentives to buy now.

Mammoth

This sounds like a stupid question but how do you download the beta if you are a paying customer?