Stencyl 3.0 - Design Once. Play Anywhere. (Soft Launched on Feb 20th)

captaincomic

One thing I'm particularly curious about: will the release of Stencyl 3.0 bring about new code blocks to use in events/behaviors? If so, what are some examples of what to expect? Will there be modifications to pre-existing blocks?
The blocks are basically the same. Some new mobile-specific blocks are mentioned in the blog posts about 3.0.

One more thing: I heard from the grapevine that Stencyl 3.0 will have wider support for sound formats, such as .ogg and .wav. Is this true? (Please be true.)
For Flash you still need mp3s. Since mp3 is patented Stencyl cannot convert wav/ogg to mp3. Ogg is supported for desktop games.

wishy

Will there be an expanded 'built-in' behaviour library? Would love to see more of those!

Mirageofmage

Is there limitations to Android or HTML publishing

captaincomic

Will there be an expanded 'built-in' behaviour library? Would love to see more of those!
The behaviors have been updated to work with 3.0 and there are currently 9 new behaviors. Maybe a few more will make it.

Is there limitations to Android or HTML publishing
You can test both with the free version, with HTML5 showing a splash screen. You need a subscription to remove the splash screen from HTML5 and to publish to Android.

Dizko

I don't like it, especially now that my understanding of ActionScript has dramatically improved, but Flash is dying.

I just wanted to chime in on this as I have a somewhat unique front line view of this. I wouldn't say Flash is dying. It's user base has changed from what we're used to seeing, sure. Dying may be an overstatement. At the very least, Flash is used by nearly every AAA and AA game studio in the world. The Flash + Scaleform SDK workflow is the most popular way to develop game UIs currently. The fact that UDK and Unity support Scaleform out of the box should be an indicator of that. This alone suggest to me that Flash isn't dying, it's just changing.

crazysam

Hi, I'm an avid Haxe supporter and I'm considering purchasing the Pro version of Stencyl because you guys are adopting the Haxe platform. I'm wondering if you're planning on contributing fixes and improvements to Haxe + NME so the community can benefit from your developments (I'm particularly interested in getting updated in-app purchase extensions as well as improved audio support for Android).

Jon

I've contributed fixes back to NME and have been in regular contact with the developers. We're also official sponsors of the Haxe Foundation, the umbrella organization that "owns" the Haxe project / platform.

The extensions have already been open sourced to our customers. Once they're 100% working and vetted, I plan to contribute them back to NME. And as you know from the way Haxe works, the engine's source is open for viewing and modification. We just had a customer this week modify the engine to add a feature they requested and they were kind enough to contribute that back to us.

iggyvolz

On the front page, it says "Looking for Stencyl 3.0? Stencyl 3.0 is currently only available to paid customers through a closed beta program."  It sounds like you are no longer planning to release it free.  I have a budget of $0 for my project and I have already promised the features in Stencyl 3.0.  Is it still coming out for free?
iggyvolz - Co-developer of Fightmon the Game: Pluff
An awesome new base-building game coming soon!  See our site for details!

rob1221

The key word in that phrase is currently, and yes you can upgrade to 3.0 for free when it is released.

dtrungle

Stencyl 3.0 is currently only available to paid customers through a closed beta program.

crazysam

Just to clarify then, if I buy the current Pro version ($79), will I get a free upgrade to Stencyl 3 when it comes out?

iggyvolz

The key word in that phrase is currently, and yes you can upgrade to 3.0 for free when it is released.
Sometimes companies say "currently" but they really mean "it's not going to happen".
iggyvolz - Co-developer of Fightmon the Game: Pluff
An awesome new base-building game coming soon!  See our site for details!

Joe

Just to clarify then, if I buy the current Pro version ($79), will I get a free upgrade to Stencyl 3 when it comes out?

Yes.

Sometimes companies say "currently" but they really mean "it's not going to happen".

We're not one of those companies. :)

0ven

Where may I download the Stencyl 3.0 beta? Because I can't find the link anywhere. Thanks.

Hectate

Where may I download the Stencyl 3.0 beta? Because I can't find the link anywhere. Thanks.
There is a "Stencyl 3.0 (Beta) forum you should have access to. In that forum there is a stickied topic labeled "Get Stencyl 3.0" or similar. Instructions are inside.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.