Stencyl 3.0 - Design Once. Play Anywhere. (Soft Launched on Feb 20th)

rob1221

You can already export to EXE with Stencyl Pro or Stencyl Studio.  That isn't anything new.

irock

You can already export to EXE with Stencyl Pro or Stencyl Studio.  That isn't anything new.
It's just Flash inside of a wrapper. In 3.0, that's no longer the case.

Photics

It's just Flash inside of a wrapper. In 3.0, that's no longer the case.

See... exciting!  :D

I'm getting ready to focus on Stencyl again. I should be done with my more immediate project by the end of this weekend. So, if 3.0 is actually released in Q3, I should be ready for action!
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

harshhsrah

Is the .exe export done locally or do we have to use stencyl servers.
I remember that a local compilation to a .exe was preferred and was discussed in the forums some time back..rightly so as .exe projects will likely be significantly large in size

SWATLLAMA

If the new language were announced, we could start learning it sooner.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

tabletop

If you dont know it now, your not going to know it in the next 2-3 weeks. However I much rather them delay 3.0 a week but also make a huge announcement letting us know what the heck is up with it.

vikingpotato

If you dont know it now, your not going to know it in the next 2-3 weeks. However I much rather them delay 3.0 a week but also make a huge announcement letting us know what the heck is up with it.

i most certainly hope that the code blocks will remain the same, apart from the new ones.. and  there would be backward compatibly for the blocks :(

rob1221

Games made in the current version should work in 3.0 as long as they do not have code blocks/behaviors.

codemagic

maybe the bug report forum should be closed for the time, because it's complete waste of time since there are no bugs fixed until release of 3.0 if i got it right,
anyways i had to stop using stencyl because of too many bugs

Photics

I'm surprised that there aren't more people with "Stencyl Studio" or "iOS Pro" in their names. Unfortunately, "Photics" has a strict no NDA policy. What's keeping everyone else on the outside?
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

marcumgames

I'm surprised that there aren't more people with "Stencyl Studio" or "iOS Pro" in their names. Unfortunately, "Photics" has a strict no NDA policy. What's keeping everyone else on the outside?

Stencyl appeals to young users mostly who can't afford to subscribe to studio or ios pro.
I own Marcum Games

Almakos

I have encountered very unpleasant issues with stencyl 2.2 for ios development, which don't let me go further (and eventually purchase Stencyl). Hope things are not the same in version 3...
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

Photics

Stencyl appeals to young users mostly who can't afford to subscribe to studio or ios pro.

It does seem that way. I think about my textbook and wonder, "Is the community strong enough? Is there going to be enough demand for the book?" Yet, the community is at ~80,000 people. Plus, other communities like Stencyl do have lots of young people using the free version. But with Stencyl, it seems like there's a disproportionate amount of people sitting on the fence. I checked out the demographics. It's mostly single males, with no kids, from 18-34 years old. That's a significant amount of disposable income.

The secrets of 3.0 are easily revealed. I'm surprised that more people aren't curious.

I have encountered very unpleasant issues with stencyl 2.2 for ios development, which don't let me go further (and eventually purchase Stencyl). Hope things are not the same in version 3...

Version 1.x and 2.x were disappointments for me. Yet, I don't worry about the $199 I spent on Stencyl. It's not that I have money to throw away. It's that early adopters have been rewarded. I now have an unlimited Stencyl Pro account. (Well, I think it's set to expire in 2036, or something ridiculous like that.)

Basically, I think the community has a role in this too. If you want Stencyl 3.0 to be great, you can help by taking the pressure off the developers. If money starts rolling in, the team can breath easier and focus on their work.

When I see people asking about the secrets of 3.0, it makes me disappointed.

bergapappa

Is it really, I usually dont buy stuff i cannot see.
In this case it is actually worse, I miss some critical info about 3.0.
Thinking about the language again  :D
Don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen from Stencyl so far.
But, I've been waiting for the android support.
When I see this working well, then I'm buying.

Sorry if this makes you disappointed  ;)

This would never had happend if I knew early adopters got that much.
Bet a lot of people would have subscribed if they knew.
So, what you are saying is that you have an unlimited use of stencyl because you paid early?

BTW, if and when I buy, I would love to buy your book as well.
Hope you finish it!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:51:58 am by bergapappa »