Stencyl 3.0 - Design Once. Play Anywhere. (Soft Launched on Feb 20th)

Future Freak

I need to make a game and i can't keep on waiting for 3.0

Version 3 is technically the same features as version 2.2 - but with a new backend engine to allow to export to many different format.  As long as you don't use lots of AS3 or Objective C specific code - a 2.2 game should work fairly painlessly in 3.0.  If I were you - I'd start making your game now.

Ganu

Version 3 is technically the same features as version 2.2 - but with a new backend engine to allow to export to many different format.  As long as you don't use lots of AS3 or Objective C specific code - a 2.2 game should work fairly painlessly in 3.0.  If I were you - I'd start making your game now.
I remember that someone said there will be some engine plugins in 2.5 but I see it was abandoned...
Currently waiting for joints in stencylworks.

Future Freak

I remember that someone said there will be some engine plugins in 2.5 but I see it was abandoned...

Can't say too much but Jon is whipping up some tasty stuff that's getting me really excited.  If it makes it to the full version of 3 - wooohoooo!

ridhwaan08

Any idea of when Stencyl 3.0 will be released end of Q4?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

bergapappa

Anyone know if 3.0 will support hexagonal tilesets?

coleislazy

To answer a few recent questions:

- 2.5 turned into 3.0, so there will be no in-between release.
- 3.0 will be released when its mega-super-awesome (its just super-awesome right now).
- There are no plans to support hex tiles in 3.0.

Most importantly: don't wait to make your game! Design mode behaviors will translate painlessly, and even code won't be difficult to port. There is no reason not to make a proof-of-concept game, at the very least.

tabletop

To answer a few recent questions:

- 2.5 turned into 3.0, so there will be no in-between release.
- 3.0 will be released when its mega-super-awesome (its just super-awesome right now).
- There are no plans to support hex tiles in 3.0.

Most importantly: don't wait to make your game! Design mode behaviors will translate painlessly, and even code won't be difficult to port. There is no reason not to make a proof-of-concept game, at the very least.

Is there a way to test/sample exporting a standalone .exe file with watermarking or other methods? Since I want to make sure my hardware heavy game can be made before I purchase Stencyl Studio.

jenyafio100

wait? when it going?

LeFoosh

Sorry if this is a dumb question but if i go pro will i get access to the current build of Stencyl 3.0..?

Future Freak

Sorry if this is a dumb question but if i go pro will i get access to the current build of Stencyl 3.0..?

Yes, all paying subscribers can access the beta.

Dom818

As long as I understand the new NDA correctly, the subscribers can now talk about 3.0 freely. So in the spirit of that, I shall list some of the new features that I have found in 3.0.

-Current platforms are now faster
-New platforms also run very nicely
-The new Haxe language is wonderful. It is easy to use and also easy to convert AS3 code to
-Stencyl supports the mobile keyboard now so users on the mobile devices can now type
-Engine extensions are also available. You can now make an extension that adds functionality to Stencyl, whether it be new blocks or a new functionality. (I have made one that gets the Date and Time)
-Better Multitouch! There is now an event that controls multitouch which is much easier to use.
-New Events (iAds, Game Center, In-App Purchases, Attributes are equal to, Boolean is true/false)
-Dual Joysticks
-Local Publishing for all platforms! You can now publish to iOS directly from the Mac without using the Stencyl Servers
-Windows iOS testing (to an extent). You can now test iOS apps from Windows, although you cannot publish them and you need a newer generation device.
-Most of the Flash only blocks are cross-platform now!
-Better text support. You can now use the "When Drawing" block without hurting performance. You can also define a custom character set for a specific font, too (this supports characters with accents)
-Labels are now blocks! These are now blocks that are part of an extension which allow more advanced things verses the draw text block.
-Mac App Store publishing
-New Universal modes (there are three now)
-iPad Retina graphics support
-Blend modes for a specific actor or layer
-Log Viewer. View what is happening live in the Stencyl log for all platforms.
-Simple Physics engine. This excludes Box2D to boost performance yet still detects collisions.
-"Retina" graphics used for Desktop publishing
-Touch and Mouse blocks merged into just mouse which is much simpler
-Improvements to atlases (they now have no limit)
-If I think of more, I will add them here!!!

I hope this obnoxiously long list of new features answers a lot of questions about what is new in 3.0.

Stencyl 3.0 should release before the end of the year and there might be a blog post tomorrow giving more information than I already have.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:14:09 pm by Dom818 »

ShaneS429

Wow I had no idea 3.0 was going to bring so much amazing stuff!

One thing that I still haven't heard any word on is iPhone 5 support. With the new resolution, I am hesitant to continue coding my game in a 960x640 resolution since I want the game to run in the new 1136x640 resolution.

I don't want black pillar bars on my app when it's on iPhone 5 and I don't know how it would handle moving things like hud relative to the pixel dimensions.

Dom818

I know 3.0 supports a custom splash screen for the iPhone 5 and has a block that lets you determine if it is running on it. So you could technically make a game that supports the iPhone 5.

Almakos

Huge thanks for sharing those.
anything new about atlases? that is the only thing that is holding me in version 2
In latest official build atlases are plain broken and in nightly I have problems in other area in my game. so 3 is my only hope to get it to work on mobile devices.
I would love to see auto-generated atlases or something similar.

Anyway thank you. Looks very promising
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

Dom818

Atlases should be much, much better in 3.0. As stated above, there are no more size restrictions to them.