What Toolset Extensions would you like to see?

Jon

We'd like to call out for ideas for extensions you'd genuinely find useful for your workflow. Although we internally don't develop any extensions, consider this a list for the community to take up if something genuinely useful comes up.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:37:29 am by Jon »

herby

Hassle-free (and rewrite-free; I mean, not as code behaviours, which are full of mandatory stencyl api and structure) inclusion of external .as libraries (that is, just a bunch of source files) into the project. Probably make it a kind of resource (like Library or Source code library or ActiveScript library or ...). Having them be able to update from repositories (github, svn, ...) would be a nice cherry on top, but not at all necessary ;-)

triptych

1)
I want to be able to see the log file as it is being written to in say a little horizontally oriented window at the bottom of the window. So one request would be to have an ability to create a panel in Stencyl that monitors the contents of a file and displays it in realtime.

2)
Another extension would be to have a webkit engine panel - so a whole range of extensions could be created like say a twitter panel, an in-app preview pane, etc.

3)
Extensions to auto post to kongregate, newgrounds, mochi, etc etc.

4) Facebook extensions -- save your game as a facebook game like TapJS does.

gmvasco

A simple, but in my opinion, useful one:
Run a file.
In my case, If I had this "button" I would then set it to run a batch file (.bat) which among other things does some serious versioning and backup tasks.

Please put the Extensions inside the top menu with user created folders if they so wish (for the sake of organization).

axel

One thing a lot of similar game making programs fail to do with SDKs is make tutorials and documents for them so it would be great to have some.

I am guessing this will be java based which i currently don't code with so some simple open-source extensions would also be very useful to learn from.

These would be for the editor rather than using with games right so a actual extension request would be some ways to use external resources. So things like options to import/export to Tiled/other map editors would be great. The current tile editor is great already but it would be nice to have this type of option also.

herby

Yeah, opening graphical etc. resources (that is, not only the source code of a code behaviour) in an external editor would be nice.

Joe

You can already open some resources (like sounds) in external editors. Check the Preferences window.

sharpleaf

I'd like to see some sound manipulation.

For example, the ability to stretch a sound down to a halt (would be fun to do with background music at the event of death)

reverb/delay effects. So, instead of having two sounds (one for "normal" and one for "in cave") you can just have a reverb that's triggered.

Volume control.

Things like that :)

niccosw

Video file support. One of Flash's main strengths is it's optimization of video. Being able to use FLVs both locally and streamed would be very useful.

This is now implemented.
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,2234.0.html

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:34:59 pm by niccosw »

llplldll

Video file support. One of Flash's main strengths is it's optimization of video. Being able to use FLVs both locally and streamed would be very useful.

I second that. FLV Video support or even the ability to embed swf files would totally blow my socks off.

Jon

I'd like to see some sound manipulation.

For example, the ability to stretch a sound down to a halt (would be fun to do with background music at the event of death)

reverb/delay effects. So, instead of having two sounds (one for "normal" and one for "in cave") you can just have a reverb that's triggered.

Volume control.

Things like that :)

Fine-tuned sound control is something our devs are working on at this moment. If you patch your copy, you can actually see what we've added in this area.

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,1131.0.html

Jon

One thing a lot of similar game making programs fail to do with SDKs is make tutorials and documents for them so it would be great to have some.

I am guessing this will be java based which i currently don't code with so some simple open-source extensions would also be very useful to learn from.

These would be for the editor rather than using with games right so a actual extension request would be some ways to use external resources. So things like options to import/export to Tiled/other map editors would be great. The current tile editor is great already but it would be nice to have this type of option also.

Yeah, it will be a Java-based SDK for StencylWorks. It will ship with API docs, a guide/manual and source code for examples.

In the future, we'll also add the same sort of capability to plug in extensions to the engine and expose that new functionality with blocks. This is a little bit harder because we'll have to deal with multiple runtimes and locking certain extensions to certain runtimes.

Jon

A simple, but in my opinion, useful one:
Run a file.
In my case, If I had this "button" I would then set it to run a batch file (.bat) which among other things does some serious versioning and backup tasks.

Please put the Extensions inside the top menu with user created folders if they so wish (for the sake of organization).

Excellent and super simple idea. I've added it to internal TODO list.

Extensions will be able to hook to different parts of the UI and the flow/lifecycle as a whole, the top menu bar being one of many possibilities.

Jon

Hassle-free (and rewrite-free; I mean, not as code behaviours, which are full of mandatory stencyl api and structure) inclusion of external .as libraries (that is, just a bunch of source files) into the project. Probably make it a kind of resource (like Library or Source code library or ActiveScript library or ...). Having them be able to update from repositories (github, svn, ...) would be a nice cherry on top, but not at all necessary ;-)

We're already planning native (as in part of the main distribution) support for this in an upcoming release. This is a little bit easier than a full-on engine extensions framework that would also have to deal with Forge distribution of extensions, etc.

sharpleaf

Fine-tuned sound control is something our devs are working on at this moment. If you patch your copy, you can actually see what we've added in this area.

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,1131.0.html

It's becoming very apparent just how much you guys (and you in particular) rock.

I like the audio channels, gives me some ideas.

I also like how you've combines play and loop as well as fade in/fade out. Good job :)