What Toolset Extensions would you like to see?

HNF

I think it would be neat to have an auto-image generator (like http://dummyimage.com) or some kind of auto-sound generator.

axel

You can already open some resources (like sounds) in external editors. Check the Preferences window.

I was thinking more about direct use of the file formats from external programs rather than just editing images or sounds etc.

So for example the main thought i had was the option to load a TMX map format (Tiled map editor) directly and have the map available in stencyl ready to just use or continue editing. There is other similar map editors like Ogmo which use other XML based formats which would also be good to have supported.

Yeah, it will be a Java-based SDK for StencylWorks. It will ship with API docs, a guide/manual and source code for examples.

In the future, we'll also add the same sort of capability to plug in extensions to the engine and expose that new functionality with blocks. This is a little bit harder because we'll have to deal with multiple runtimes and locking certain extensions to certain runtimes.

Thanks that sounds great :D

Index

ActionScript + PHP Get

:o

Ability to save and load to an external source. (Although this is probably easily achieved, a more stable version with some easy customization tools for recycling ideas would be cool)
Project Klowd
ZeroShade
-IdX-

Jon

ActionScript + PHP Get

:o

Ability to save and load to an external source. (Although this is probably easily achieved, a more stable version with some easy customization tools for recycling ideas would be cool)

We had and still have some plans for this.

triptych

Here's my vote for some additional interfaces/languages to support for extensions. Meaning say a js wrapper for java. And say some kind of gui builder.

Rukiri

I'd like to see more control with 2D video effects, and a particle editor(it seems almost every engine now a days has em, even game maker with 8.3) 

I'd love the ability to have auto and dynamic shadows, as you place your "light" object it will cast light and create the shadows for your tiles and actors(objects)  would be great and make maps pretty.

Auto Tiles, I know this is more of preference when making levels but I like the idea for auto tiles for mundane things like dirt, square or round objects like a carpet or a table.  I'd leave mountains and trees out of it as Rpg maker vx basically didn't and well all of it's tiles are basically auto tiles..  Just let the user have the ability to add his or her own auto tiles to a tile-set.

Scripting inside actors, I don't know if this will work or not but being able to write simple code for an actor would be nice.

Java, flash is okay but I personally prefer Java over actionscript 3 and since stencyl was made with Java it wouldn't be too hard to change. Or have an option of using actionscript 3 or java(can only pick one for the game, shouldn't use both with the game)

niccosw

Never mind my earlier request for a video extension. I got it running myself. It's posted as a scene behavior in StencylForge.

Darkhog

What's it name?

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

niccosw

"Stencyl Video Behavior".

tabletop

I would really love an extension that handles .SWF animations, so we can start using skeletal animation systems, or atleast some sort of extension that can set up joints much easier to be used for animation purposes. And ofcourse, since this is a FLASH program, you would think there would be a universal system of vector graphics/.swf files, etc. anyway.

And of course, an extension for hardware acceleration, id definitely pay for it. Since thats the only flaw I can really think of for this program.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:27:26 am by tabletop »

Hectate

I just had a thought, for some of us that don't use dropbox, a FTP extension would be nice instead. The ability to save to FTP on command, as well as export SWF to FTP destinations would be nifty for personal websites usage.

I'm sure it's complicated, although perhaps an open source java-based FTP client can be modified to suit the need. (example: http://j-ftp.sourceforge.net/ )
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

dineyin

I would love to see an extension in which would could group a bunch of scenes or actors and automatically propagate behaviors or attribute changes to all of them.

For example:

I have 100 different levels (as scenes) in my game and then also a bunch of scenes that are used for intro screens and menus and stuff. Say once I already have my levels set I decide to create a new behavior that should be applied to all levels, but not to scenes that are menus or titles .This extension would let me automatically attach this new behavior to all the scenes

Alexin

That is more of a core functionality than an extension.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

universemaster

how about a bug list that shows all your games bugs so you can debug your game.

Alexin

You mean compiler errors? Simply test the game and it will do that.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com