What Toolset Extensions would you like to see?

niccosw

jamesvhyde

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but the kind of extension I'd like to see is one that makes development of games of certain genres easier. For example, the RPG extension would allow the user to create elemental attacks, status ailments, stat growth, etc. from the UI, rather than trying to manage disparate behaviors. (The number of behaviors in the game I'm working on is already exploding, and I haven't made it very far yet.)

Luyren

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but the kind of extension I'd like to see is one that makes development of games of certain genres easier. For example, the RPG extension would allow the user to create elemental attacks, status ailments, stat growth, etc. from the UI, rather than trying to manage disparate behaviors. (The number of behaviors in the game I'm working on is already exploding, and I haven't made it very far yet.)
I don't know if you have tried, but there's a resource pack on forge called "RPG Elements" that handles a lot of stuff required for a RPG, such as the ones you mentioned.
I have my Stencyl behaviors and resource packs available here: https://luyren.itch.io/

jamesvhyde

Luyren, thanks for the response. I had looked at your RPG Elements pack previously, and today I tried it out. It is useful and thorough, but resource packs are fundamentally limited due to the issue I mentioned (management of an exploding number of behaviors) and the fact that behaviors have a limited UI available to them (the attributes). I tried out the "Experience" behavior in the RPG Elements pack, but I found it difficult to use. I had to get help to figure out I needed to specify a font other than "Default font" (it was causing a null reference). Also, there are 25 visible attributes for this behavior. They are organized logically from top to bottom, but it is difficult to recognize which attributes work together.

So I would still like to see extensions related to assistance with creation of games of specific genres.

coleislazy

So I would still like to see extensions related to assistance with creation of games of specific genres.

I think it is unlikely that an extension will fill that role, considering this is exactly what behaviors are for.

Darkhog

Well, maybe something connected with module soundtracks? I mean, I think I've seen somewhere sites with Flash-made modules player, so it could mean that something like this exists (I'm not sure, though; it could be as well playing MP3s based on the track -. .-').
I like modules mainly because they're easy to control (you can jump to any fragment and you don't need to know particular time, like 47.395 second, because it's based on rows) and probably there isn't problem with annoying intervals between one loop and another (which occurs in one MP3 I checked).

However, anything which would let me jump freely around the soundtrack and get rid of those interval would be great.

+1 for that. Also I working with the author of SunVox (which is very lightweight format, usually under 100kb/music file) on AS3 player for sunvox files.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

SWATLLAMA

I'm not even sure if this is an extension, but...
In the same section as the title screen, it would be great if it had the option to insert a preloader, though that might be the same as .mov integration.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

GregAnims

Mochi services in design-mode block form- http://www.mochimedia.com/developers/

Here's people integrating them into flixel: https://www.mochimedia.com/community/forum/topic/flixel-mochi-services

The AS3 code for the API is already split up into blocks in the documentation, a coder needs to simply  intergrate the code. It seems like a simple job for a good programmer, but difficult for artists like myself. I also think this would benefit every developer massively.

Dizko

I might be late to this party.

But I would like to see the ability to export and import behaviors. That way I'm not forced to upload behaviors to the forge in order to share them with people I'm working with or friends.

SWATLLAMA

Greg Anims, what do you mean about the design-mode form? I don't see it at all.
Hail The Llama

chaosoul

Greg Anims, what do you mean about the design-mode form? I don't see it at all.
He means like the kong api things in design mode (I don't understand how you couldn't understand that) @Greg-Anims Mochi services are coming in 1.2 most likely.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

axcho

Greg-Anims, could you mock up a screen shot of what these Mochi blocks might look like in a Stencyl game?

SWATLLAMA

Chaosoul, I knew that part. What I thought he was saying was that they would show us how to use design-mode to implement mochi ads.
Hail The Llama

Derek

An extension that supports isometric tiles would be good.
Don't be a critic on the internet while eating and drinking at your computer.

GregAnims

Chaosoul, I knew that part. What I thought he was saying was that they would show us how to use design-mode to implement mochi ads.

Just meant that in the API documentation, the code is already logically split up for each function, making it a bit simpler to assign blocks to.