Artist looking for team

Hectate

Just a note about the "youth" commentary. Being young and interested in something creative is the best possible combination! It's claimed that to master any skill you need to spend 10,000 hours practicing it. Being young means you have the most time ahead of you (and frequently the most free time) to do so.

I taught one of my sisters how to draw using a computer and it wasn't long before her skill surpassed mine. She now has several published children's books that she illustrated, has sold traditional art, graduated as an Art major, and works in a field where she gets to teach art to children!

Use your youth to your advantage!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

SWATLLAMA

Starting a guitar/bass course huh? Well to get sound, just hook up a cheap microphone(NOTHING UNDER $40, otherwise it'll sound like an alpaca and not the cute sound of a llama) to a desktop or a laptop or phone or tablet or whatever other crap kids have these days.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

MetalRenard

I have a small question about making music: When musicians make background music for games, do they then make everything on the computer, or do they start by using real instruments (I´m begginning on a guitar/bass course in september, so i wanted to know about i could start making music before the class in free programs).

I have most of my music making gear on my computer as software, but hardware and instruments do come into play. An example is my guitar - I've been playing guitar for about nine years now and all my guitar parts are recorded, not simulated. What 95% of people (including many people who call themselves "composers") don't realise, is that you have to learn how to PRODUCE music too, not just write a good melody and rhythm. If you're expecting your course to teach you how to compose music for games then you will be disappointed. What it will do for you though, which I feel is much more important (seeing as I'm completely self-taught) is open up your mind to music. Music, as much as many people want to tell you otherwise, is more about what's in your heart and mind than any theory you can ever learn.

^Most musicians that make music specifically for games do it on the computer, but you still need to know basic music theory if you want it to sound good. If you actually wanted real instruments recorded for your game it'd be pricey, not to mention you'd have to make sure it's the kind of music you even want to have for your game.

In short, game music is usually composed and created using a program on the computer. Popular choices include Famitracker and the like.

I have no knowledge of theory of the like you are describing, yet, if you listen to my music you will find that it works very well without having studied "theory". And no, I don't do dubstep. I don't do rap. I do orchestral music and rock, and the occasional retro electronica track. :)
I have learnt to use my ear, and you don't need theory for that. ;)

You could try Mulab (free, but not too good) or FLStudio (I don't like it but many people swear by it). I would recommend http://reaper.fm though, it's solid software and is often compared to the high end platforms such as cubase in relation to performance, quality and ability.

Starting a guitar/bass course huh? Well to get sound, just hook up a cheap microphone(NOTHING UNDER $40, otherwise it'll sound like an alpaca and not the cute sound of a llama) to a desktop or a laptop or phone or tablet or whatever other crap kids have these days.

Actually your best bet for price and quality of sound is to get an external soundcard with a guitar jack input and some amp emulation software (Guitar Rig Player, and then google "free guitar rig amps" and "free guitar rig cabinets"). :)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:22:39 pm by MetalRenard »
Composer. Rocker. World Ambassador For Foxes.
http://metalrenardmusic.com/

benjamino59

Thanks for the answers, and just so that you know it, I'm not taking the class to make game music, but because I'm a very creative person (i make digital art, game art,  drawings, crocheting, and I want to learn to make sculptures and play an instrument) there wants to try new things.

MetalRenard

Cool stuff, keep it up, good luck, and more than anything, have fun.

Strasteo

@MetalRenard: To be sure, music, like any of the other kind of art form definitely requires that the person making it incorporate their own style or soul into it. After all, it's their song. When I'm talking about music 'theory' I'm merely saying that a person needs to know how to form the song, how rhythm, melody, etc. all contribute towards the song they're crafting. Maybe they won't use everything there is in music theory when crafting a song, but it helps to know them so that when the need arises they know it and can do it.

If you have learned to use your ear to make music, all the more power to you, since you probably know intrinsically some of the concepts that are in music theory and have learned them without expressly 'studying' them. Such a feat is definitely possible. I myself am a bit of a musician too. I'm primarily a pianist; I took lessons when I was younger for quite a few years, though I haven't found a program I could stand to use yet in order to make my music.

I'm not saying that music theory is the best thing ever and you absolutely need to know it backwards and forwards. In fact, you could jolly well learn how to make music all on your own just by listening to songs and incorporating some things you hear into your own style and learn that way. But knowing basic music theory can help if you're starting out, especially when composing. That is all I am proposing.

MetalRenard

Yeah sure, my only issue with what you wrote before is that you said you "need" to know, I just wanted to clarify that you can find other paths to making music, and that you don't have to limit yourself to the classical route of studying theory. \m/
Now you've clarified that, it's all good.

If you want any tips on learning to use music software or which one to try out then let me know.

lazyboygames

I just get royalty free music for my games. Look up Kevin Macleod.

MetalRenard

Yeah, royalty free music is good for arcade games that don't have a defined theme. As soon as you want to create a more in-depth feel to your game though, first of all you'll want all the music to be done by just one person. Next, if you want to make an actual story then you're much better off hiring a dedicated composer who can compose pieces of music that work with the story but also with each other.