Actor slides across screen without gravity, but goes through tiles without?

Leafeonpikachu

Hello, I'm new to stencil, and I was going to make a platformer, but whenever I make a scene or use an existing one, my actor goes and gets stuck in the ground, and then proceeds to fall. When I make a new scene and use little or no gravity,  the actor slides across the screen or sticks to the platform. Is there a fix to this? (Oh, and can I make a side scrolling rpg with this? If so, how and how do I add text and speech?)

Thanks,
 leafeonpikachu

Joe

Welcome to Stencyl! Start with the run 'n' jump kit, which handles a lot of this for you. The Crash Course inside Stencylpedia will help you get you started on the basics of a platformer, too.

Leafeonpikachu

Thank you, but I already took the crash course, and I'm using a version of that kit.

Joe

Well, getting stuck in the ground sounds like a collision shape issue. As for sliding, do you have friction/damping set? It's easiest to start with an existing character (like Mambo from the crash course) and model your own Actors accordingly, so they fit in nicely with the physics engine.

Leafeonpikachu

I'll try that. I don't know about the sliding though, because it's in the air. (sorry for forgetting to say that.  ':3) Actually, I USED mambo, and just edited his animations to make it the character. everything worked fine with him, but not the character? She seems to be sinking or sliding, but mambo does not. It must have to do with gravity, because if I add it, she sinks into the ground. but without it, the game is glitchy and unresponsive.  D:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:34:08 pm by Leafeonpikachu »

FuriousRage

Well, getting stuck in the ground sounds like a collision shape issue. As for sliding, do you have friction/damping set? It's easiest to start with an existing character (like Mambo from the crash course) and model your own Actors accordingly, so they fit in nicely with the physics engine.

What i have noticed with the platformer im making (to learn stencyl etc) is that
if i put on gravity and friction on my char, one can press against walls and get stuck/stick to it, but then when you run, you slow down/stop when releasing direction keys.

However, if you remove the friction, you no longer stick to walls, but then you keep sliding on the ground like its ice and never stops unless you hit something that stops you.
(Im not using any pre-made kits, im trying to make my own stuff, this way i learn Stencyl more, then just put pre-made stuff together to make stuff.)

froz

I'll try that. I don't know about the sliding though, because it's in the air. (sorry for forgetting to say that.  ':3) Actually, I USED mambo, and just edited his animations to make it the character. everything worked fine with him, but not the character? She seems to be sinking or sliding, but mambo does not. It must have to do with gravity, because if I add it, she sinks into the ground. but without it, the game is glitchy and unresponsive.  D:
Go to your actor and check collision page. If your animation is bigger then Mambo, then it is possible that it is outside its collision shape. Meaning that game treats it like it would be smaller and parts of animation can be seen in tiles. When you create new animation from scratch it automatically set correct collision shape, but when you edit it, the collision shape isn't changed automatically, so you have to check it and correct if needed.

Leafeonpikachu

Grrr... I somehow really messed up some stuff, so I'm just gonna  re do this thing and make sure collisions are set right. Thanks for all the help, though! :3

Leafeonpikachu

going to have to re download stencyl because I seriously killed something, and now games won't open.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:46:19 pm by Leafeonpikachu »