How to make tilesets?

WiseGAMER

Hi guys

Will I have a big problems with tilesets I mean I cannot make them and when I add them weird sizes and spaces appear ... I really need a guide about sizes and free tool to make them ... please guys I need this so much.
Thank you.

LDeathnote

For pixel art, I use 32px by 32px tiles. People seem to go made for GraphicsGale so I'd go with that.. http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

Now for vector graphics, try 128x128 and resize to 32x32 when your finished. Inkscape should do the trick! http://inkscape.org/

You could also try GIMP. http://www.gimp.org/

Personally I use Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6 because I'm familiar with them but the programs above will do fine. GraphicsGale is probably alot better at pixel art than PS. Have fun!

WiseGAMER

Thanks for the programs they are really helpful but I want you to help me with one more thing please ..... see I wanna make a Pacman Tileset because I can't find any in the StencylForge so I did this

1- I played pacman and copied the screen.
2- After that pasted the image in GIMP and tried to fix it as much as possible and I have attached the Image
3- Now I don't now actually what I should do but I tried adding the image as a tilesheet in Stencyl but Stencyl Ignores the last raw and the last column of the image ( I attached that also)
4- I also wonder How am I going to make the collision boxes in this complicated tilesheet?

Please help me I really need this help fast and excuse me if any of my questions are silly because I am totally new here.

WiseGAMER

Please I really need help fast

Max Finch

You have collision shapes on your second screen shot...

WiseGAMER

Thanks for your answer but I already know that , the thing I don't know is how to make the Tileset collision shapes because none of the already made one fit ... maybe I should cut the sprite sheet in a different way that I don't know ... for examples corners are hard to find a collision shape like ... how to do them? and other complex shapes? .... still the other proplems I face unsolved ... I really apreciate your help but I need more help  :-[

Max Finch

Ahh ok well I actually have no idea my guess is you can't. But someone else might know otherwise.

WiseGAMER

There have to be away ... I mean can't I make a Pacman game with stencyl!
Please someone help

bobby6478

To make a pac-man game in stencyl will be time consuming, however not impossible. What I woud do in your ssituation is make a 32x32 all black tile-set, then make all the pac-man boundaries (the blue walls in the screen shot) one by one, or draw it all together in microsoft paint, then, I would copy and paste each one to a different file and import them all. Then make them all actors and add collision to them. This would make it impossible to go through them. This again would be very time consuming as you would have to make about 15 things actors and add collision, then you'd have to pay close attention to alignment so I simply wouldn't make a pacman game. You can try, and I will respect that but it isn't reasonable to make a game like that unless you know you'll get a lot in return for your days of work.
"I don't know what my calling is, but I want to be here for a bigger reason. I strive to be like the greatest people who have ever lived." -Will Smith

SWATLLAMA

For your tiles, just have the blue lines have collisions and leave the space in which the cute little yellow thing moves be empty space.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

captaincomic

There's a "+" button under collision bounds, that let's you add new tile collision shapes.

Altough in your case, I think it would be much easier if you use a different size for the tileset. Make the tiles just as big as the walls, then you only have to make wall tiles, not all the combinations of walls and hallways.