A little criticism/advice for a level mock-up of mine?

Carrill

So for the past three weeks, I've been working on my first ever Flash game. Admittedly, I'm much more of an artist/designer than a programmer, so I'm trying to keep the game somewhat simple. It's a short platformer that relies a lot more on strong atmosphere and a simple, but engaging narrative than complex mechanics.

So since I'm trying to build atmosphere, aesthetics are of course really important to me. I'm new to pixel art (only really been doing it for three weeks), but I feel that I've had great success with it in such short time. What I'm going for is a sort of dark dystopian science-fiction type of atmosphere and with the tiles that I've created so far, I think I've really gotten there. I'm just stuck on a few things.

I really want to add more variety in the walls tiles, which will be used heavily in interior areas of the game. I'm trying to think of a different type of wall tile that I could do (which would complement my current one), but right now I'm not really sure.

Besides that, I'd just like for you guys to give me some criticism/feedback on how things currently look. Also, I'm aware the cityscape in the background needs cleanup. That's something I'll get to.

osiaslemuel

Its a good graphic theme for me  :)

Jezus101

good i say continue this game

Hectate

The blocks in the middle of the "hallway" look like they are blocking it, instead of being in the background which I suspect they are. They should probably be a darker shade or somehow distinct from foreground elements.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

MrShinespark

The blocks in the middle of the "hallway" look like they are blocking it, instead of being in the background which I suspect they are. They should probably be a darker shade or somehow distinct from foreground elements.

I agree, while I like the look I think you should adjust the color scheme a bit more that way the background and foreground objects give the appearance of being on differing planes. It would make navigation a lot easier from player perspective.

froz

Are you sure it's background? Looks to me like something destructible in the way. Maybe I'm wrong.

I like the artstyle, I would play the game to see more.

Carrill

Haha. You're right, it's a wall in the background. xD

I adjusted the shading and it looks a lot clearer now. The wires in front of the walls come out a lot clearer with it too.

Medevenx

You need to dither the sky

Kajitii

The art reminds me a lot of Gyossait xD

Other than what Hectate said, I think it is passable.

Carrill

Thanks so much for that comparison! xD

Gyossait was definitely a game that inspired me a bit. Most indie platformers out there tend to be set in bright and colorful worlds with heroes that have those big and cute heads. I think that's good and all, but I really think there needs to be more platformers out there with a darker style like Gyossait. ^_^

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm making new adjustments as we speak.

Carrill

Sorry for double post, but...

You need to dither the sky

So I'm in the process of doing this. What exactly is this supposed to add to my background? Because I'm trying it and all it's doing is looking fuzzier... but not exactly better.

Strasteo

^I'd actually argue for you not to do that. Seeing as the rest of the tileset is... well, kind of muddy looking, making the background (which is bright, clear, and colorful) more muddy/fuzzy is probably not the best idea.

Did you save the above image as jpeg? Usually, pngs look nicer and keep the pixels/visuals intact. It's just generally nicer to look at. Other than that, I'm not going to give a lecture about how the pixels aren't as important anymore or gripe about that since everyone has their own sort of 'style', and not everyone is looking to recreate an 8-bit or 16-bit sort of look.

It's unique-lookin', and I'm glad the main character really stands out from the rest of the game's environment. For newer wall-tiles, I'd say try and be a little more creative in the world-building department. "What kind of things would be present in the world I'm trying to convey?" I think maybe a sewer grate, some kind of lantern or mechanical light etc. would help make the world feel more alive. Think not just about it being a level, think about it being the world that your characters are living in.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:55:19 am by Strasteo »

Carrill

Here's a little update. The pixels should look a little sharper.

^I'd actually argue for you not to do that. Seeing as the rest of the tileset is... well, kind of muddy looking, making the background (which is bright, clear, and colorful) more muddy/fuzzy is probably not the best idea.

Did you save the above image as jpeg? Usually, pngs look nicer and keep the pixels/visuals intact. It's just generally nicer to look at. Other than that, I'm not going to give a lecture about how the pixels aren't as important anymore or gripe about that since everyone has their own sort of 'style', and not everyone is looking to recreate an 8-bit or 16-bit sort of look.

It's unique-lookin', and I'm glad the main character really stands out from the rest of the game's environment. For newer wall-tiles, I'd say try and be a little more creative in the world-building department. "What kind of things would be present in the world I'm trying to convey?" I think maybe a sewer grate, some kind of lantern or mechanical light etc. would help make the world feel more alive. Think not just about it being a level, think about it being the world that your characters are living in.

That's a nice idea. One thing that's a little bit of a problem, is that I've designed the world as a post-apocalyptic setting though. So I'm really trying to limit the amount of functional technology the player sees. But I can easily see a sewer grate being present. And I'll probably have a few flickering lights around too.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:45:08 am by Carrill »