Don't Kill Anyone: The Game

PW132

You are the gun of a mass murderer. And a pacifist.

Basically, the aim of the game is to miss all the civilians running around the screen. The murderer runs around the screen too, and all the shots come from him, and you cannot stop him firing. You use the mouse to direct the machine gun fire away from the civilians. If you hit anyone, you lose. The game is viewed from a top-down perspective. There will be three modes, "Arcade Mode," "Main Mode," and "Timed Mode." In the Main Mode, you have a very large supply, but a limited one, of bullets. The way to win this mode is to run out of bullets without hitting anyone. In Arcade Mode, you have an infinite supply of bullets. You have to play as long as you can without hitting anybody, and the amount of bullets that missed is your final score. Timed Mode, suggested by sharpleaf, will have timed levels. When the timer ends, the police arrive to arrest the murderer. You must not let anyone die before the police arrive or you lose. When you finish a level, the time you must not let anyone die in is increased. In all modes, the crowd will slowly get denser.

I just started programming it. I actually decided to pick up stencyl to make this game, because the other language I used (Scratch) is a bit lousy with firing large amounts of bullets, as all objects must be created by hand by the programmer, which makes stuff like this hard to program.

I would like some suggestions for things to put in to it. If you have any ideas, please post them.

EDIT: If I posted this in the wrong place, tell me. I know nothing about this place.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:21:50 am by PW132 »

sharpleaf

I LOVE the concept. Very original and it sound quirky and fun!

I can just see the "murder" getting more and more frustrated as time goes on.

Maybe you might think of a "timed" mode. Basically, like arcade mode you have infinite bullets, but you have to hold out for a certain amount of time. The timer is really just how long it takes for the police to get there. Each "stage" takes the police a little longer to get there. Or, something like that, just an idea :)

Either way, I would love to see this game.

PW132

I LOVE the concept. Very original and it sound quirky and fun!

I can just see the "murder" getting more and more frustrated as time goes on.

Maybe you might think of a "timed" mode. Basically, like arcade mode you have infinite bullets, but you have to hold out for a certain amount of time. The timer is really just how long it takes for the police to get there. Each "stage" takes the police a little longer to get there. Or, something like that, just an idea :)

Either way, I would love to see this game.
I really like that idea! :D At first I did I have a similar sort of "leveled" mode in mind, but I had difficulty figuring out what would changed from level to level. At first I thought the civilians would become suicidal. :P  I'll probably implement it when I have the Main and Arcade modes finished.

sharpleaf

What could change between levels (besides the amount of time you have to not kill anyone before the police show up) could be the population density. In other words, it's harder NOT to hit someone when there are more people around.

Is this a top down or side view?

PW132

What could change between levels (besides the amount of time you have to not kill anyone before the police show up) could be the population density. In other words, it's harder NOT to hit someone when there are more people around.

Is this a top down or side view?
It's a top down, a bit like Robotron 2084. Also, I think crowd density would change in all modes, too. Gee, I sure left out a lot of info from the main post!  :o

ICLHStudios

I love the originality of the idea, though I agree that it might be tricky to put variety in the gameplay.

I think you should give the player a small limited amount of "gun jams" to temporarily jam the gun and cease the firing, so the player has an out for particularly rough spots.
Go here to begin reading my fantasy webcomic, updated every Thursday: http://fav.me/d674ji2

Darkhog

Also I'd suggest to add health to citizens which would be random. This way people would be able to take few hits before died (but of course player wouldn't know if specific citizen have 1, 3 or 7 HP).

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

Chris

If the murderer always fires bullets, I don't see the difference between the main mode and the timed one. They both end after a certain amount of time.

PW132

If the murderer always fires bullets, I don't see the difference between the main mode and the timed one. They both end after a certain amount of time.
The Timed Mode keeps on going, the levels are infinite. But yes, there may need to be a way to differentiate Main Mode and Timed Mode more. Maybe blend them into one somehow?

I love the originality of the idea, though I agree that it might be tricky to put variety in the gameplay.

I think you should give the player a small limited amount of "gun jams" to temporarily jam the gun and cease the firing, so the player has an out for particularly rough spots.
Yes. Definitely implementing that.

Also I'd suggest to add health to citizens which would be random. This way people would be able to take few hits before died (but of course player wouldn't know if specific citizen have 1, 3 or 7 HP).
I dunno about the citizen heath...It takes away some of the intensity no matter how think about it.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:57:20 am by PW132 »

Darkhog

Yeah, but if health is low (max 5 I think) and player don't know which citizen has low health and which has high (the health is set to random value on game start) this wouldn't take intensity and game would be easier for non-hardcore gamers.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

RandomJibberish

Random health is a terrible idea. If I mess up, I don't want a random number generator to decide whether I get a game over. All civilians should be one hit kill.

PW132

Random health is a terrible idea. If I mess up, I don't want a random number generator to decide whether I get a game over. All civilians should be one hit kill.
I would of worded it differently, but that pinpointed it.

ICLHStudios

Yeah, random health would probably cause more frustration than not, but I think having more than one hit for civilians in the early levels might work for easing players into he game a bit.

Or alternately you could have civilians have two hits, one and they're injured and stop where they are, injure to many and you risk boxing yourself in with people who can't move out of the way at all, this would also give the option of having deeper scoring system where fewer injuries = more points.

Or blend the two and have multiple civilian types, each with a certain amount of HP (and maybe some can move around slowly while injured or something) and just change the ratio of strong to weak people as the game advances. Using this method you could also have more unique levels such as a really small room crammed with lots of civilians with more of HP (so that they're almost impossible to avoid entirely, but by carefully hitting the right people you can survive).
Go here to begin reading my fantasy webcomic, updated every Thursday: http://fav.me/d674ji2

Index

-- I just lost the game
Project Klowd
ZeroShade
-IdX-

thatonenala

If you're planning to make the game harder as time goes on, then perhaps levels could use progressively more dangerous guns. For instance, the first level could be the murderer using a pistol that has a lot of time between shots, and as time goes on, the models slowly shift into semi-automatics and then outright machine guns that are very hard not to hit people with.

This could potentially make timed mode different as well; In timed mode, a player could start out with whatever gun seems most suitable (such as the automatic), and keep that gun for every level, with just the crowd getting denser, more insane, and the like.