New to Pixel Art

Doki2Heart

Greetings to the Stencyl Community,

My name is Stephanie and I am new to pixel art and pixel art animation. I registered so I can be able to improve my art by collecting information, advices & suggestions given be experienced artists.

Here is what I have made so far by reading pixel art tutorials.

Not the best, could be better but I had loads of fun drawing it.

Lucky Star: Konata

Pounding heart

Blob

You're using a lot more colors than you need on that Konata sprite (36). It might seem trivial to limit your palette, but it makes for cleaner and simpler work. Also you have some unsightly banding on it, which you can read how to avoid here. Other than that you're fine.

Doki2Heart

Thank you so much, this article sure is teaching me a whole lot.

I have a few questions:

1. Is anti-aliasing really necessary when making small sprites/backgrounds for games?

2. When is anti-aliasing really needed?

3. How does one make a good palette?

Blob

Anti-aliasing is never outright necessary, but if you want lines to look smoother it helps to have it. If you think a sprite looks better without anti-aliasing in some areas or without it entirely then don't use it, but most of the time it's an improvement and you should use it anywhere you can, just make sure it's proper.

I don't know of any right way to make a palette, I actually pick colors as I go along, just make sure there's a right amount of contrast and variety, and don't use any colors you don't need. It helps if you're using a color picker that let's you easily control the hue, saturation, and light of the color you're picking, as opposed to something like an RGB bar (though RGB bars do sometimes help you accidentally make unique colors).

Doki2Heart

Thank you for the useful advice and info. I'll make sure to keep everything in mind when I draw pixel art.  :)

SWATLLAMA

Unlike the Blobby, I'm terrible at art. But I like your Konota sprite as much as I can like that style of art. Which I don't like, but it's well drawn considering the style.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Doki2Heart

@SWATLLAMA

Thank you very much. Thankfully, my style does not limit to only "anime"/"manga". I also enjoy drawing realism from time to time. I hope to expand even more with practice and observation.

intimate

Disagreeing with Blob here.. the Konata looks good. never limit your colors, so long as you dont get carried away, and you know what you're doing it's fine. :)

Blob

Can non pixel artists stop giving their input on pixel art techniques.

intimate

There's no need to assume we aren't pixel artists.

intimate

Actually reading back, I guess just me. Not we.

Doki2Heart

@intimate

Thank you for liking my Konata sprite. Even though I can use any color that I wish, I think what Blob meant to say is that I have been using too many and he is right. If you look at the sprite with the magnifier tool, you can see that it's a pixelated cluster-mess.  :P

@Blob

No one has given me any techniques so far, am I missing something? I think intimate just gave his opinion.

Anyways, lesson learned, I decided to take a few steps back and start at an even smaller scale. I made a small NES sprite with only a few colors. Sprite based on Final Fantasy.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:26:12 pm by Doki2Heart »

Blob

There's no need to assume we aren't pixel artists.
If you don't understand the reasons for fundamental practices you're not a pixel artist, call yourself something else.
-

I said input on techniques, which is the same as an opinion.

Your sprite is in a retro style, which is easier to work with and learn things like you said, but literal NES sprites use 3 colors + transparency, while yours uses 9 + transparency, one of which is due to a stray pixel you never recolored. None of the colors are from the NES's palette either, but you've got the right idea.

Doki2Heart

@Blob

Woops, I just noticed. Thanks for pointing it out, I fixed it. :)

Yes, I am aware that the literal sprite use less as you said, but I went with more because of the character's design (it's Hatsune Miku of Vocaloid). Thankfully, the number of color is still low compared to my Konata sprite.  :-[

intimate

Oh hey.. No need to get all defensive. I'm not a fan of old nes styled art. It's boring. Snes has more color and shading to it. Like the konata sprite.