Hector

sonuvagun06

I've been fooling around with this idea for my first game, drawing some mock-ups, etc. Two days ago I got an actor and tileset together for one scene, and over lunch today I was able to complete another. I think I may have gotten lucky, because when I sat down after work today my art was terrible. But anyway, allow me to show you what I've drawn up so far.

I learned a lot about how tiles work with the above picture. I wasn't really considering it the constancy that must be maintained when I drew out the set initially, and I paid the price when I tried to put them into Stencyl. They've since been amended and all of my tiles are being drawn in the same giant image with the grid in mind.

After I did some daydreaming at work I came up with the first level, which is a kind of vertical dungeon, where Hector comes from. I was able to draw up this tile set in about an hour using my new organizational technique and repeating some elements from the first "world." I think that this creates a nice cohesiveness.

I've never done any work with pixels before about one month ago, and this is the first time I'm seeing any kind of results that function. I'm a little burned out tonight so I thought I'd post and see what anyone has to think. I'll probably need help throughout development. What I got stuck on today was drawing wooden planks. They looked like wooden planks, but there was too much contrast or the wrong colors or texture or something. It looked cheap, and lacked subtlety.

lazyboygames

Wow that art is pretty freakin' impressive  :P

Are you going to go for a heavy story, or just focus on gameplay?

sonuvagun06

Thanks. I'd like to really engage players in a story, and at this point I'm really focusing on that. At the same time, I'd like to balance the gameplay, but we're looking at a hack and slash kind of platform, nothing innovative. The gameplay is a mechanism to involve the player in a story. When that's used correctly is when I've had the most rewarding experiences playing a game.

sonuvagun06

Some more tiles and characters.

Joe

Love the art style! Something about it screams "Cave Story" to me.

Hectate

I was actually thinking Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle. The black rimmed glasses I suspect...
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

sonuvagun06

Thanks, I love all of those games.   :)

sonuvagun06

Did some work on Hector's set this morning.

sonuvagun06

I have a brief video of how this kind of looks put together.

http://youtu.be/NQqNqZoI7AY

I've never programmed in my life (since like, html 1) and it took a painful amount of learning to get that far. Anyone with some experience interested in helping or know some good resources? I'm having trouble with simple things like attacking with a sword or enemy actors firing bullets.

sonuvagun06

I'm getting closer to having the first set of scenes completed, which would take the player from beginning of game to first boss. I have to say that the StencylForge and forums have been immensely beneficial in my case... I  never really imagined I'd be able to get this far. I'm still having trouble with a few behaviors but I do a little work everyday and the game is playable and expanding. Hope to put up a "demo" by January.

jlsheriff

wow man. 

I thought this was a "necrod" thread because it's from July, but I was pleasantly surprised!  When I saw the first posts I was like, aww this would've been a great game, and then I got to the bottom and read the good news.

Obviously you've been working on this way before I even joined the forums and began work on my game (a month ago).  I loove seeing dedication when it comes to game ideas.  I've noticed a small trend where people post ideas, and make a few pictures, then you never hear from them again, but it seems like you got your **** together :)

Game looks fantastic.  I can't wait to kill that big ole' boss.
Destiny Island - Work In Progress http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/15851