Those Who Use Paint Tool Sai

I am working on a game that does something similar to Atlus games where the character is drawn on the scream every time they speak.  This part isn't hard at all, but whenever I finish a character and import them as an actor to Stencyl, they come with a little white outline around them."

Upon further inspection, I discovered the problem was that Sai actually views the white background, not as transparent, but actual white.  This causes the issue with the antialiasing of the lines and colors on images.

I tried a couple of different things, ranging from changing the color on the back ranging from near-black (couldn't do black since my lines are black and don't want them transparent), saving as a .png hoping Sai would force the blank background to be transparent, merging all the layers and only copying the actual drawing, binary mode the lines (which made it look far too shitty).   I've tried my lineart layer on every mode but got nothing.  I even tried importing it into Photoshop and Gimp and doing a select-by-color delete, but the damn software isn't intelligent enough to understand.  D:

I prefer Paint Tool Sai because the software is incredibly simple to sketch with, has a hand stabilizer, and it allows me to turn the "paper" so I don't break my wrist while trying to draw certain lines, so really, I want to make Paint Tool Sai work for this - different software isn't really an option since other software doesn't have the hand stabilizer (puts a delay between the mouse and the line you're drawing, making it easier to draw a straight line and ignore the natural shake of your hand), doesn't let you turn the paper (not really rotate the image, it is just like turning a piece of paper, the image stays the way it is, the canvas itself turns and can be placed perfectly straight again at the tap of a button).  I also like the ability to draw with bitmap and use vector lines for he line work.  This is a lot easier than paths in Photoshop and Gimp.  And Sai allows me to color with bitmap, which beats out Illustrator.

Any ideas?

Hectate

Well, assuming that your program doesn't have an option to set background as transparent and you've just missed it - you could still go the GIMP route. I know you said that you tried it but with more work than just a simple select-delete you can get better results. Depending on the resolution, you could shrink and/or feather the edges of the selection to get a smoother edge and eliminate the white.

If you post one of the images (or email to nathaniel.mitchell -at- gmail) I could fiddle around with it and see if I can tell you what a good workflow would be to fix them up.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Sorry this took me a while.  Been a frantic week for me.  But here's a quick example....

Please note that I can fix the transparent eye issue easily, the problem is the white lines and the color of the lines is changed by what background I use.

Hectate

Yes of course - the anti-aliasing is causing your black outline to smoothly shade into the white background (or whatever color) which makes it difficult to remove. It might be possible to do a color-to-alpha with a unique background color - or perhaps separate the channels to create a mask of the background - but that would have to be done on the original image. Preferably with a unique background color.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

GREAT IDEA!  THANK YOU!