Scale Game by 0.5x

Jesse

In addition to scaling the screen by 1 - 4x, it would be helpful to scale by 0.5x. This could become handy in the future when iStencyl releases. If you develop a game with the Retina display in mind, it would be a chore to have to go back and resize everything to support the previous iOS devices' 480x320 resolution.

Jon

This won't need to be done. You'll just need to provide 2 sets of graphics (or possibly just the hi-res ones in some cases), and it'll automagically handle the rest.

Darkhog

If you develop a game with the Retina display in mind, it would be a chore to have to go back and resize everything to support the previous iOS devices' 480x320 resolution.

I think he by chore meant making two sets of graphics.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

Jon

I'm not sure if leaving the resizing to the system will always generate the results you want. People are pretty picky about how their graphics are resized and wouldn't want something blurry or jaggy, which is what an automated resize would do.

I'll ask some iOS devs about this to see what the common procedure is, but I imagine that a bunch make their graphics in vector form so it can scale up and down without any quality loss, even if they end up rasterizing it.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:11:30 pm by Jon »