An update on 3.0 (from the Stencyl Blog)

Joe

Of course, with 3.0 coming there is supposed to be built-in 2D array system...

We're not planning anything like that for 3.0.

1MrPaul1

Very usefull information Joe... Ok, we will use our own 2array mechanics. But do you still planning to add global custom blocks support for all platforms? I'm active using global custom blocks in my game and in my 2d array...

Joe

Since we're just working with a single engine now, all features that aren't obviously platform-specific (Game Center, accelerometer, etc.) should be usable on all platforms.

1MrPaul1

This is what I wanted to know, thank you Joe!

Leaufai

Can't wait to see what 3.0 offers. But first we get an intermediate patch ie. 2.5 right?

coleislazy

Can't wait to see what 3.0 offers. But first we get an intermediate patch ie. 2.5 right?

No, 2.5 was "bumped up" to 3.0 because of the massive number of changes.

Leaufai

Ah, ok. Could anyone give me a list of what the devs have said to expect in 3.0, aside from the move to a single engine. I'm having a little trouble understanding what was for 3.0 and what was for after.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:16:49 am by Leaufai »

coleislazy

This is what Jon said in another thread:
2D array support isn't planned for 3.0. I'm going to be doing a lot of small, rapid followup releases to 3.0 to add in more functionality, but the goal of 3.0 in proper is just to get the engine up to a baseline level, without changing much fundamentally besides delivering the new platforms, fuss-free. Past that, I'll start fixing things, adding things and making the individual parts all better.

A side-effect of 3.0 will be a number of bug fixes and enhancements that come "free" with the new engine, but other major features will come after.

1MrPaul1

This is logically. New engine by itself it's a great change. Hope it will work better than flash...

Photics

We're not planning anything like that for 3.0.

What about Full-Screen support? Is it still going to be blurry or will higher resolution graphics be used if available?

The plan for tonight is to watch Burn Notice... and see if I can figure out Lists within Lists.  :D

If 2D arrays aren't on the immediate horizon, it looks like I should try to use what's available.
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

Photics

If 2D arrays aren't on the immediate horizon, it looks like I should try to use what's available.

Well, I tried. It seems that lists within lists are done with blocks? That doesn't quite work for me.
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

Sunflower

If you need a fixed grid, you can use "2D Array" behavior which I put on Forge. You don't need to attach it anywhere, just use the custom blocks.

If you need list of lists, you can use such combinations of blocks:
getting arr[ A ][ B ]:
get item # [ B ] from [get item # [ A ] from [arr]]
setting arr[ A ][ B ] to [something]:
replace item # [ B ] with [something] in [get item # [ A ] from [arr]]

Also, my 1000000000th post. Yay!

Silux

@sunflower. Your behaviour is really cool and i actually use it a lot, but it creates 2d arrays only in runtime.
The most useful thing about 2d arrays would be just to input all the data ordered like in an Excel  spreadsheet.All directly from the attribute screen.
Right now all game stats must be imported as global lists and it's unpractical, as you can see only one list each time, each action has a confirm dialog, you can't delete/change more than one element at time...
This is why a support from the platform itself would be cool, as you can't change the attribute screen.
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

Jon

Knee deep in 3.0 work.

I think we're looking to start a beta starting with paid customers in the next week or so, and a number of other changes are coming around the same time, including a more regular update / communication schedule.

TimNedvyga

It's a Great news!!))

Beta starting for all paid customers? Or only for Stencyl Studio?
I want to purchase Studio, but i need look at 3.0, because 2.x have a lot of bugs on iOS(
WebSite - respiregames.com
Twitter - @RespireGames